So who saw the Doctor Who Xmas Special?

Ryujin

Legend
I think that’s just one of the things you have to accept; otherwise they can never introduce a new alien like that. As the series gets longer, the more you have to suspend your disbelief for stuff like that.

I just take it as things have changed, largely due to the actions of The Doctor himself, so new things appearing is the norm.

I found this special to be rather clumsily done though I did enjoy it, as always. I think that perhaps they were a little ham-fisted at portending the first female doctor through the episode.

Brilliant is the new Fantastic

The special was certainly a character story more than a plot story. But the character interactions and banter were excellent, and it was amusing to see them lampshade the first Doctor's 1960s chauvinism.
Really, trying to cram a denser plot into things would have almost been awkward and just cut out some of the fun bits. And honestly, I adore the sudden realisation that there's "not an evil plan".

I've seen Doctor Who described as being a rollercoaster. The fun is the ride and not the destination or anticipating the twists & turns. This episode is a good example.

I'm a fan for how they handled the return of Bill. She didn't become re-fleshed. She didn't break-up with Puddle Girl. (Heather?) They didn't pull a Clara and un-kill her. Nope, she was dead and this was just a super advanced robot with her memories
Oh, man, and when the WWI soldier revealed himself to be the Brigadier's father... all the feels. And the Christmas truce was a lovely example of how to use the season to the advantage of the story. This wasn't set at Christmas just because that's when the episode aired, but there was an actual reason.

The end was interesting. I enjoyed that Doctor Twelve didn't try to become female. Intent wasn't implied (and thus, it avoided the idea that the previous twelve rejected the idea of being female). His final speech was nice and dramatic. Some good quotable lines and wisdom, but not the heart wrenching affair that was the Doctor Ten or Doctor Eleventh's farewells. They did milk the "reveal" that he was now a she, slowly revealing the face rather than the abrupt change of past regenerations. Like you couldn't instantly tell by the eyes. There were some nice dramatic shots (the ring falling off and such) but that certainly took some time away from seeing her reaction and getting a few more lines in.

I did also note the amusing hypocrisy of having the first female Doctor be unable to drive. But, Matt Smith and Capaldi both crashed the TARDIS initially. And it makes for a fun dramatic cliffhanger without locking in the next creative to a set story or villain. (As for blowing up the TARDIS, that does give the easy out for the next team to come in and update the sets.)
The first episode of the new season could start with the Doctor falling and the TARDIS materialising below & catching them, and then moving on without a missed beat. Or it could have the Doctor land in a river, being found, and having to save the day with no TARDIS or screwdriver or potentially even knowledge of whom they are. (It also leads into a nice potential set-up of having the Companion just find the Doctor and help them, spacing out introductions to elements of the show for new viewers.)

---edit---
"Hate is always foolish; love is always wise. Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

Great words to live by.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Last words...
————————-

Never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears!

Remember – hate is always foolish…and love, is always wise.

Always try, to be nice and never fail to be kind.

Oh, and….and you mustn’t tell anyone your name. No-one would understand it anyway.

Except….children. Children can hear it. Sometimes – if their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too. Children can hear your name.

But nobody else. Nobody else. Ever.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Doctor – I let you go.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The episode aired here yesterday. It was brilliant.

I didn't get the idea that she could not drive the Tardis, or that she somehow broke it. Twelve was the one who broke it.

:p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
yep, first thing I thought. What the new doctor can't drive because She's a woman? Lol Not Funny

<snip>

I don't like the newish 'explosive' regenerations they've been having and was hoping that Capaldi's transition would go back to the original soft light regens (maybe even mirror Hartnells own) - for a short moment I actually thought the transparent humanoid was going to be the new Watcher like in Logopolis, the female form being a hint to the next regeneration that was being resisted. Alas that was not the story being told...

It's not like she really had much of a chance to try to fly the TARDIS before it was knocking her about and blowing her out the door. I figure it's a chance to end the Xmas special with a cliffhanger and start the first episode in the middle of action rather than implied commentary on women drivers.
That said, perhaps they are overdoing the violence of-/trouble with the TARDIS during- regeneration as tropes and could stand to dial them back a bit.

MarkB

Legend
It's not like she really had much of a chance to try to fly the TARDIS before it was knocking her about and blowing her out the door. I figure it's a chance to end the Xmas special with a cliffhanger and start the first episode in the middle of action rather than implied commentary on women drivers.
That said, perhaps they are overdoing the violence of-/trouble with the TARDIS during- regeneration as tropes and could stand to dial them back a bit.

To be fair, the Cloister Bell was already chiming before the regeneration, suggesting some serious issues, so yeah, things were likely already going wrong, and the extra damage caused by the regeneration energy may not even have been the main issue. It was just a somewhat unfortunate juxtaposition.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
yep, first thing I thought. What the new doctor can't drive because She's a woman? Lol Not Funny

That's harsh. I don't think they meant that *at all*. Matt Smith crashed the TARDIS, and Capaldi had to ask Clara how to drive it; they just do that with new regenerations now. River Song knows better than the Doctor how to drive it. There is no "woman driver" nonsense going on here.

If I had to guess, I think Chibnall wants to get rid of the TARDIS for a while and do an Earthbound story arc, possibly where she's looking for it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That's harsh. I don't think they meant that *at all*. Matt Smith crashed the TARDIS, and Capaldi had to ask Clara how to drive it; they just do that with new regenerations now. River Song knows better than the Doctor how to drive it. There is no "woman driver" nonsense going on here.

If I had to guess, I think Chibnall wants to get rid of the TARDIS for a while and do an Earthbound story arc, possibly where she's looking for it.

yeah, I don't think it was an intentional commentary, just not thought through.

and for comparison when Matt Smith crashed the Tardis he at least managed to hold on to it and climb back inside, he even made a few tries to 'steer' it before it crashed in Amelia Ponds garden, Jodie Whittaker didn't even get a chance to comedically try and get control, she just got dumped out the door and left to fall while the Tardis burns

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
yeah, I don't think it was an intentional commentary, just not thought through.

and for comparison when Matt Smith crashed the Tardis he at least managed to hold on to it and climb back inside, he even made a few tries to 'steer' it before it crashed in Amelia Ponds garden, Jodie Whittaker didn't even get a chance to comedically try and get control, she just got dumped out the door and left to fall while the Tardis burns

Well, yeah - when I said they've done that with the last three Doctors I didn't mean they'd used the exact same script for each. They each get a variation on crashing/being unable to fly the TARDIS. And, of course, the first Doctor pretty much *can't* fly it. Blames it on the navigation system.

I mean, they've cast Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor!

Last edited:

Remove ads