So who saw the Doctor Who Xmas Special?

Sarah Jane adventures (she was great as a companion) was a poor offshoot of who. Characters and storyline marketed towards children with horrible special affects etc. If this becomes something I would watch on Disney/wb and it loses quality then I'm out. If it improves on Capaldi storyline then i'm staying. Capaldi was great for the role but for the most part the storylines were not as good as Smith/tenant

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know what it is! It was a half hour kids programme, mainly starring children, shown on CBeebies (a children’s TV channel) at tea time. Why on Earth you think they’d change a flagship prime time BBC1 show into a half hour CBeebies tea time show starring children is completely beyond me. That’s why I thought it was such an odd thing to say.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I kinda expected that the soldier might be connected to our dear Brigadier...

The whole Christmas Truce miracle..
If the Doctor ever encounters a complete jerk who needs to be persuaded to do something helpful, giving them an overhead view of the soccer game amid the trenches would be a good place to start.

And I liked the Brigadier's dad/uncle/next-door-neighbor being there. History IS connected, after all.

Hussar

Legend
I had a bit of a thought about the whole "female Doctor's can't drive" thing.

Before he regenerates, the Capaldi Doctor is having a conversation with the TARDIS and it's talking back. There's already been the "Doctor's Wife" episode where the TARDIS is revealed to be female. I kinda wondered if the TARDIS didn't chuck the Doctor out the door for regenerating as a woman.

I dunno. Probably just a weird thought, but, it was one I had.

Janx

Hero
I know what it is! It was a half hour kids programme, mainly starring children, shown on CBeebies (a children’s TV channel) at tea time. Why on Earth you think they’d change a flagship prime time BBC1 show into a half hour CBeebies tea time show starring children is completely beyond me. That’s why I thought it was such an odd thing to say.

Aha!

You just acknowledged that there is Tea Time!

I don't know where I'm going with that, it's from another, sillier thread. But if you could act shocked, like I caught you red-handed or something that would be helpful. Or just confuse me with an explanation on how the People of England (as comprised of Morrus) do not take tea, but enjoy knowing there could be time for it, perhaps with the aid of their Doctor.

MarkB

Legend
Aha!

You just acknowledged that there is Tea Time!

I don't know where I'm going with that, it's from another, sillier thread. But if you could act shocked, like I caught you red-handed or something that would be helpful. Or just confuse me with an explanation on how the People of England (as comprised of Morrus) do not take tea, but enjoy knowing there could be time for it, perhaps with the aid of their Doctor.

To be fair, we made up 'tea time' purely to confuse foreigners (mainly the French). To us, it's a null concept - the existence of a specific 'tea time' would require that it could somehow ever not be time for tea.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I had a bit of a thought about the whole "female Doctor's can't drive" thing.

Before he regenerates, the Capaldi Doctor is having a conversation with the TARDIS and it's talking back. There's already been the "Doctor's Wife" episode where the TARDIS is revealed to be female. I kinda wondered if the TARDIS didn't chuck the Doctor out the door for regenerating as a woman.

I dunno. Probably just a weird thought, but, it was one I had.

I had a similar thought (though slightly more salacious) back when they made the announcement viz "its been implied both that the TARDIS loves the Doctor and that the TARDIS is female, so are they going to explore that relationship further? How is the TARDIS going to react to having another woman at the Helm?"

Of course its also been made clear that Timelords don't care about gender issues so maybe there's nothing to explore

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have to say that last season of Who really dampened my enthusiasm for the TV show version. Felt at times like it was trying too hard to play a political angle. But mostly the plots were pretty bad. I had such high hopes for Moffat but in the end he was better in small doses as a writer than as a show runner. Capaldi is how I envision a Doctor but ultimately he fell flat as well due to weak scripts. Though I admittedly always had a love/hate relationship with the relaunched series due to the companion focus. Thankfully there is always Big Finish for a Who fix.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have to say that last season of Who really dampened my enthusiasm for the TV show version. Felt at times like it was trying too hard to play a political angle. But mostly the plots were pretty bad. I had such high hopes for Moffat but in the end he was better in small doses as a writer than as a show runner. Capaldi is how I envision a Doctor but ultimately he fell flat as well due to weak scripts. Though I admittedly always had a love/hate relationship with the relaunched series due to the companion focus. Thankfully there is always Big Finish for a Who fix.

You are the Opposite Me. It was the strongest season in a few years for me. Bill was excellent (way better than Clara, who I always found tedious) and Capaldi got chance to act. Loved it!

Remove ads