Can Antimagic Field supress a permanent True Polymorph?

Balfore

Explorer
You seem to have already decided on the answer. So why do you still ask us?
I was wanting to know about the antimagic field.
He also has it on a Simulacrum that was turned into a dragon.
Wanting to also know if the antimagic field would kill it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I was wanting to know about the antimagic field.
He also has it on a Simulacrum that was turned into a dragon.
Wanting to also know if the antimagic field would kill it

Simulacrum specifically states that it lasts until dispelled, True Polymorph does not. Also, take note on the part of Object to Creature. It says that you no longer control the creature once it becomes permanent. That could only mean it is no longer a magical effect because the spell has ended. The object is now a creature, and not under a magical effect. That's why JC is not making any sense.

Nothing barring a Wish spell could undo it.

Balfore

Explorer
Its good to know the RAI part, but I wouldn't put much stock in JC's words, especially after he disallowed Twinning Dragon's Breath. I don't think JC understands what permanent means. If it can be removed with a simple dispel, then its not permanent.
I see, that makes sense. Was looking for opinions

Li Shenron

Legend
Its good to know the RAI part, but I wouldn't put much stock in JC's words, especially after he disallowed Twinning Dragon's Breath. I don't think JC understands what permanent means. If it can be removed with a simple dispel, then its not permanent.

Well I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I am not sure if you understand the technical meaning of "permanent" when it comes to D&D spells. It means that the spell is still active there, and so it can be dispelled and it can be temporarily suppressed by antimagic.

Instead, an instantaneous spell is what results in its effects being non-dispellable, because the spell is already gone while the effects remain.

But it's also possible of course that I don't understand it right...

EDIT: [MENTION=6864983]Immoralkickass[/MENTION], to your credit, I just noticed that there is a key discrepancy between the SRD and the PHB text for True Polymorph, and it has NOT being erratad :/

PHB text says: "If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent."

SRD text says: "If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled."

I have an old PHB and was just looking at the SRD assuming that it is more recent, but without an official errata about it, I am now confused.

Last edited:

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Well I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I am not sure if you understand the technical meaning of "permanent" when it comes to D&D spells. It means that the spell is still active there, and so it can be dispelled and it can be temporarily suppressed by antimagic.

Instead, an instantaneous spell is what results in its effects being non-dispellable, because the spell is already gone while the effects remain.

But it's also possible of course that I don't understand it right...

EDIT: [MENTION=6864983]Immoralkickass[/MENTION], to your credit, I just noticed that there is a key discrepancy between the SRD and the PHB text for True Polymorph, and it has NOT being erratad :/

PHB text says: "If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent."

SRD text says: "If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled."

I have an old PHB and was just looking at the SRD assuming that it is more recent, but without an official errata about it, I am now confused.

Huh, I see. This is a first for me. Is SRD RAW?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Antimagic field suppresses spells. True polymorph is a spell. So I would say it is suppressed, regardless of its duration.

You could argue that true polymorph is making a specific exception with the ‘lasts until ‘ language. But amf is not ending polymorph, just suppressing it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'd say that yes, anti magic field can suppress true polymorph, even after an hour has passed. Whether permanent or until dispelled, there is an ongoing spell effect. In essence, you could look at suppressing a spell as a temporary dispelling. Compare that to an instantaneous effect such as cure wounds. If you're healed and then have dispel magic cast upon you, it's too late. Same with anti magic field. The fact that true polymorph can be dispelled indicates to me that it is a different class of spell which can also be suppressed.

Shiroiken

Legend
Even from Crawfords mouth?

Unlike prior editions, Sage Advice is just that: advice. That's why they give RAW, RAI, and RAF in the articles, so that the DM can decide for himself. What's actually written is RAW, what Crawford (and other WotC employees) say is RAI (or sometimes RAF, if denoted as such). Sage Advice is only gospel for organized play.

neogod22

Explorer
Here are a few things to consider. Anti magic sphere is an 8th level spell, True Polymorph is 9th. By the basic rules of magic, 9th trumps 8th. Second, Anti magic sphere is a self cast spell and is only cast around the caster, so unless the caster is trying to remove the Polymorph from himself, I would suggest he cast it within the hour it can be dispelled, because the 2 important sentences are, "The transformation last for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate the entire duration, the transformation becomes permanent." The duration is Concentration up to 1 hour. This means the spell ends at 1 hour. An ongoing effect like Imprisonment for example has a duration of "until dispelled." Imprisonment can be dispelled, true Polymorph can't once the spell ends.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads