Can Antimagic Field supress a permanent True Polymorph?

Balfore

Explorer
This is a situation you really can't get into in organized play (as defined by AL). In AL, the PC becomes an NPC the moment its race does not match one available at character creation.

Even when True Polymorph says you keep your personality?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Even when True Polymorph says you keep your personality?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The AL rule says
A character that ends an adventure as a race or creature not otherwise available through their character creation rules is removed from play until the effects of the true polymorph spell are dispelled.

A true polymorph upon which concentration has been maintained for the entirety of its duration becomes a permanent spell. As a permanent spell, it can still be dispelled and its effects removed.
So it is not correct that you lose the character the moment you change race.

neogod22

Explorer
The AL rule says
So it is not correct that you lose the character the moment you change race.
Which basically means forever since you can't control your character to get the effects removed, and AL does not allow you to create your own adventure to have other characters hunt down the polymorphed character and do it either. They may allow you to spend down time and the price of a spell casting service of a 9th level spell to change you back. I wonder how much that'll cost.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nagol

Unimportant
Which basically means forever since you can't control your character to get the effects removed, and AL does not allow you to create your own adventure to have other characters hunt down the polymorphed character and do it either. They may allow you to spend down time and the price of a spell casting service of a 9th level spell to change you back. I wonder how much that'll cost.

A 3rd level spell, a cantrip (Guidance), some luck and you're good to go. Add a 2nd level if you want advantage on the check as well (Enhance Ability).
9th level casting of dispel magic is only necessary if you want to be guaranteed success.

neogod22

Explorer
A 3rd level spell, a cantrip (Guidance), some luck and you're good to go. Add a 2nd level if you want advantage on the check as well (Enhance Ability).
9th level casting of dispel magic is only necessary if you want to be guaranteed success.
You can't do that in game, it would have to be a downtime activity, so it would have to be the 9th level spell, because you need the guaranteed success.

neogod22

Explorer
I'm not sure how many of you play AL, but in the Amber Temple in the Curse of Strald season, there was a chance to get possessed by an evil spirit. The rules specifically said, if a character got possessed and their alignment changed to. CE, their character immediately became an NPC, runs off, and is not playable for 1 year.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I think Anti-magic field suppressing the spell and showing the creature's 'true' (or original) form is far more cool than nothing happening. Be it a friendly or hostile character (or player).

Stalker0

Legend
Permanent is different from Instant. A permanent effect can be suppressed or dispelled; it simply won't end on its own. An instant effect constitutes a fundamental change that can't be suppressed or dispelled.

This is the RAW to me. Otherwise there would be no need for an instantaneous duration if you will.

Permanent Magic means the magic is still present, which means it can be suppressed.

Remove ads