Can Antimagic Field supress a permanent True Polymorph?

CapnZapp

Legend
Can Antimagic Field supress a permanent True Polymorph?
Permanent yes, instantaneous no.

In D&D, "permanent" means the magic, not the effect, is permanent, that is, its duration does not end. Permanent is simply "Duration: endless".

"Instantaneous" in D&D vernacular, on the other hand, is really permanent in the "can't be dispelled" sense. Again, any duration refers to the magic, not the effect. The magic does its thing and then leaves. Thus, there is no magic left for antimagic to suppress.

Thus:

Permanent yes, instantaneous no.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Exactly, when you have to talk about: ROI, RAW and Rxx, and Rxq etc... it makes for all the fuzziness. Like MTG before they got their act together with "the stack"..LOL

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't even mean cleaning up the language. I mean basic useability things like changing "Temporary hitpoints... see hitpoints->temporary hitpoints" to just list the freaking page number the first time.

Balfore

Explorer
I don't even mean cleaning up the language. I mean basic useability things like changing "Temporary hitpoints... see hitpoints->temporary hitpoints" to just list the freaking page number the first time.
OMG..wouldn't that be amazing?
If they listed the page numbers when referring to another book?

Alex Volo

First Post
Ok let me explain that SRD are just basic rules. Everything you need to know are in the 3 books. The books are the laws of the campaign you are making. Any thing other than the 3 books only have vague info on everything you need to know. There are more archetypes, classes, sub-classes, even backgrounds to choose from in the books than using SRD.
Now that I clarified The rules, The thing is Once true polymorph is permanent you are now that creature. It says in the books that you become that creature with all of its powers and no longer anything of yours except personality and alignment. Unlike shape change which lets you take the shape of the creature, ''sort of like an avatar of it'' you are now that creature. So once its permanent there is no longer any spell effect over the you you are now it. so once you hit 0 hp you go unconscious or die. if it was still a spell effect you would revert back into your original form, but you don't because you are that creature. Now yes something like wish or gods can turn you back, those things are way to powerful, but a dispel cant work on any creature that has no spell on it. You cant dispel an elemental even though its magical, same point.

Dausuul

Legend
Ok let me explain that SRD are just basic rules. Everything you need to know are in the 3 books. The books are the laws of the campaign you are making. Any thing other than the 3 books only have vague info on everything you need to know. There are more archetypes, classes, sub-classes, even backgrounds to choose from in the books than using SRD.
Now that I clarified The rules, The thing is Once true polymorph is permanent you are now that creature. It says in the books that you become that creature with all of its powers and no longer anything of yours except personality and alignment. Unlike shape change which lets you take the shape of the creature, ''sort of like an avatar of it'' you are now that creature. So once its permanent there is no longer any spell effect over the you you are now it. so once you hit 0 hp you go unconscious or die. if it was still a spell effect you would revert back into your original form, but you don't because you are that creature. Now yes something like wish or gods can turn you back, those things are way to powerful, but a dispel cant work on any creature that has no spell on it. You cant dispel an elemental even though its magical, same point.
The current text of true polymorph:

"If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the spell lasts until it is dispelled."

This has always been what "permanent" means for a spell duration in D&D, but it is now spelled out explicitly. You can dispel true polymorph even after it's been locked in.

TheSword

Legend
Sage advice means nothing. The only true amendments are in the errata

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Good luck convincing your DM of that, if you’re player claiming you’re a dragon forever.

If you’re the DM then you can have it be until death you do part, but then you don’t need sage advice for that.

TheSword

Legend
Exactly, when you have to talk about: ROI, RAW and Rxx, and Rxq etc... it makes for all the fuzziness. Like MTG before they got their act together with "the stack"..LOL

The main difference being that MtG is a competitive card game.

D&D has 300+ spells that can interact with 300+ other spells, abilities, feats, etc etc to create an approximate simulation of a fantasy world, while still being cinematic and true to fantasy tropes.

Even then in this case the rules are clear... comparing to MtG is comparing apples to oranges.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Its good to know the RAI part, but I wouldn't put much stock in JC's words, especially after he disallowed Twinning Dragon's Breath. I don't think JC understands what permanent means. If it can be removed with a simple dispel, then its not permanent.
He makes mistakes. That doesn't mean he is always wrong.

Remove ads