Can Antimagic Field supress a permanent True Polymorph?

Nagol

Unimportant
No, the spell is called permanent for a reason. You still have to concentrate for an hour, but if it lasts the hour, it's permanent.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Permanent is different from Instant. A permanent effect can be suppressed or dispelled; it simply won't end on its own. An instant effect constitutes a fundamental change that can't be suppressed or dispelled.

neogod22

Explorer
Unlike prior editions, Sage Advice is just that: advice. That's why they give RAW, RAI, and RAF in the articles, so that the DM can decide for himself. What's actually written is RAW, what Crawford (and other WotC employees) say is RAI (or sometimes RAF, if denoted as such). Sage Advice is only gospel for organized play.
Your last sentence is in correct. Sage Advice cannot be used for organised play. Only what's written in the books, adventures and errata are legal.

Nevvur

Explorer
[MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION]

Good catch on the discrepancy between the PHB and SRD. With the PHB wording, I interpret "the transformation becomes permanent" as there no being no lingering magical effect to suppress or dispel once the hour passes. However, I would defer to the SRD wording if it came up at my table, in which case I would rule that antimagic field does suppress True Polymorph.

Oofta

Legend
The wording in DndBeyond is: If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled.

Which is different from the PHB: If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent.

So I suspect at some point they've had errata that hasn't officially been published yet. I was going to go with the "no it doesn't go away because it's permanent argument", but since I (and my group) use DndBeyond it will go away in an antimagic zone, just as if had been dispelled.

neogod22

Explorer
Permanent is different from Instant. A permanent effect can be suppressed or dispelled; it simply won't end on its own. An instant effect constitutes a fundamental change that can't be suppressed or dispelled.
I think you're thinking of instant vs on-going effects.

Let me clear this up because you guys seem confused. True Polymorph is an on-going effect for the entire hour the caster has to concentrate on it. You have an hour to stop the caster and reverse the effects, that's it. Period. If you want to dispel it, you have an hour, you want to break concentration, you have an hour, after an hour, you're out of luck. The spell is ended and the victim is whatever it was turned into. You want to change them back, have True Polymorph cast on them again and wait an hour (provided that they weren't turned into a sharp changer, or use a wish.

Nagol

Unimportant

Let me clear this up because you guys seem confused. True Polymorph is an on-going effect for the entire hour the caster has to concentrate on it. You have an hour to stop the caster and reverse the effects, that's it. Period. If you want to dispel it, you have an hour, you want to break concentration, you have an hour, after an hour, you're out of luck. The spell is ended and the victim is whatever it was turned into. You want to change them back, have True Polymorph cast on them again and wait an hour (provided that they weren't turned into a sharp changer, or use a wish.

Not confused, just a difference of opinion. A permanent effect can be dispelled or suppressed unless stated otherwise see Wall of Stone for an example. "If you maintain your concentration on this spell for its whole duration, the wall becomes permanent and can’t be dispelled"

Contrast this with True Polymorph: " If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled." I'm using the SRD text, but my opinion would be the same using the PHB. There is no qualifier limiting dispel in the case of True Polymorph.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

As noted, your view is certainly inconsistent with the revised wording in the srd. The original PHB wording is more debatable, but I guess that errata and the like should be considered the standard rules text.

Which isn't to say you can't play it how you want, just a question of what the rules say about it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
While it isn't defined in 5e, a permanent effect has traditionally been defined in D&D as lasting until dispelled (as opposed to being not dispellable, which is what an instantaneous effect is). The change to the SRD strongly suggests that the PHB was simply using outdated terminology.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
Your last sentence is in correct. Sage Advice cannot be used for organised play. Only what's written in the books, adventures and errata are legal.

This is a situation you really can't get into in organized play (as defined by AL). In AL, the PC becomes an NPC the moment its race does not match one available at character creation.

neogod22

Explorer
This is a situation you really can't get into in organized play (as defined by AL). In AL, the PC becomes an NPC the moment its race does not match one available at character creation.
Which sucks, cuz that means I can never polymorph into a dragon. Lol

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Remove ads