D&D 5E Removing the Concentration Damage Save: Houseruling the Affected Feats and Abilities

I think some spells would benefits on an unbreakable concentration due to damage.
Locate creature, locate object, magic weapon could be tag with unbreakable concentration.
Others spell more combat oriented keep the old rules,

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Tweaking Concentration is not going to make 'casters too powerful' any more than expanding Banishment to effect any creature, or overpowering Fireball and Lightning Bolt intentionally, or adding in Counterspell and starting the whole Reaction/obfuscation mini-game.

Are you saying that it won't make casters any more powerful at all? Or is this a strawman that until you cross some threshold where casters are 'too powerful' that any relative shifts in power are meaningless?

Because there already seems to be a lot of feeling that casters are more powerful than non-casters. Widing that gap is the wrong direction.

You're for tweaking, including the concentration rules. Would you play in a game where any damage automatically broke concentration? Or would a relative weakening without breaking the game have meaning?

As for another idea of Focused Conjuration's replacement, perhaps once per short or long rest a conjuration spell can have it's casting time reduce from 1 minute to 1 action.

And Individual posters should generally be encouraged to voice their opinions about possible mechanics changes that are posted on a message board.

To voice your opinion is one thing. To continually repeat it to every poster on the thread until it derails is another. This thread is not about whether or not damage saves for Concentration should be used. That was discussed in other threads. This thread is about what to do with feats after you've thrown the rule out.

I am not saying you are derailing this thread. I am saying ENWorld has more derailments than your average middle schooler's Rollercoaster Tycoon ride.

I'm very much for keeping most of Concentration in place with it's ruling that a caster can only concentrate on such spell at a time, and the responsibility of remembering the spell is in effect with the player who cast it. I'm not keeping the Saving Throw to maintain concentration when one takes damage, because it's too fiddly, it's often forgotten and various other reasons.

So with the damage save gone, there's at least 2 feats and 1 subclass ability that would be affected by this houseruling: Mage Hunter, War Caster and the Conjurer's ability Focused Conjuration.

There may be abilities in other books or for classes that are in development like the Mystic, but the only ones I can think of that depend on the damage save are those 3 abilities from the PHB.

So Mage Hunter might be the easiest to house rule in my mind, instead of imposing disadvantage the damage save, you inflict an extra 1d6 damage on casters who are concentrating.

The advantage of the save for War Caster was probably one of the big reasons many would take the feat. It could be replaced with +1 AC bonus while concentrating, but I feel it would step on the War Mage's (Durable Magic) toes. Maybe it could be temp hit points instead, or maybe it's replacement could have nothing to do with concentration at all.

Finally the Conjurers Focused Conjuration that needs to be completely replaced as it's invalidated by the house rule. Maybe summoned creatures get bonus AC (temp HP already taken), or maybe the conjurer can teleport/change the position of a conjuration/creature once during it's duration as an action.

Any ideas on how to deal with those 3 abilities? Are there any other such abilities that I haven't caught which deal with the concentration damage save?

For Mage Slayer, I think it should be scary for spellcasters, and +3 damage isn't that scary, IMO. I would do one of these:

• You gain advantage on attack rolls against creatures you can see that are concentrating on spells.
  • Whenever you hit a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature must make a Constitution save or lose concentration on that spell. The DC for this saving throw is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier.

No, those are *not* equally powerful choices.

For War Caster, doesn't need to be that good anymore, frankly. It's primary purpose was to defang the save on damage rule and provide a way for clerics to ignore the somatic component rule (which, IMX, everybody already ignores). If you really want it to do something, add one of these abilities:

• You gain +1 Constitution to a maximum of 20 Constitution.
  • Your ranged spell attacks are not automatically made with disadvantage because the target is within 5 feet.
  • You add your spellcasting ability bonus to the damage rolls to any one target damaged by cantrips you cast. If you have cantrips from more than one class or feature, use the same spellcasting ability you would use for attack rolls or saving throws with that cantrip. If you already add an ability bonus to your damage rolls for spells or cantrips, instead add that amount plus 1 when casting those cantrips.

Again, no, those are *not* equally powerful choices.

For Focused Conjuration, I would probably do something like:

• When you cast a Wizard Conjuration spell that you know, if that spell has a spell casting time of 1 minute or less, you may choose to cast that spell s though it had a casting time of 1 action instead. Once you use this ability, you may not use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
It occurs to me that, for particularly powerful spell effects where you really want there to be an option to disrupt the spell by damaging the caster, it would be easy enough to write the Concentration Check rule into those particular spells' descriptions on a case-by-case basis. That way, you don't have to worry about it for most purposes, but it's still possible to use it as a balancing feature where necessary.

CapnZapp

Legend
It's an often overlooked mechanic that has never existed in D&D until the current one. It has already unleashed unintended consequences of ensuring that casters will almost never buff themselves, it has the unintended circumstance making Protection from Energy fairly useless against surviving a burning building when you're probably better off using the lower level spell that grants fire resistance as a reaction. It has the unintended circumstance of making it a better idea for a Paladin to cast their melee damage spells on the Rogue instead of themselves, when it's them that should be wading into combat with the blessing of their divine power.

I'm well aware of the "tactical" implications of removing the damage save, and I feel it's not a big deal at all.

And it's not a lot of unintended consequences to the mechanics, there's like 3 so far I've counted that's it. And feats are optional to begin with.

A subclass of the Mystic may have gotten something along the lines of, "oh waitaminute there's that rule" but it's still in development and they haven't ever made that many things beyond those 3 abilities in the PHB.
Thank you for explaining.

You probably would have been better off writing this in your original post, though.

Are you saying that it won't make casters any more powerful at all? Or is this a strawman that until you cross some threshold where casters are 'too powerful' that any relative shifts in power are meaningless?

Because there already seems to be a lot of feeling that casters are more powerful than non-casters. Widing that gap is the wrong direction.

You're for tweaking, including the concentration rules. Would you play in a game where any damage automatically broke concentration? Or would a relative weakening without breaking the game have meaning?

Bear in mind that this isn't a general rules suggestion: its a request for ideas for a house rule for a single, specific group. Its quite possible that Kobold Avenger has other houserules in place that already address the power/versatility differential between casters and non casters.
What they are asking about in this thread however, is suggestions with a different houserule for their table.

Pointing out potential issues that their houserules will cause is fine, but I think that once they have acknowledged that they are aware, you have to trust that they know what their particular group will enjoy more than we do.

Amatiel

Explorer
My group has played with "unbreakable concentration" since pretty much day one. Haven't found any problems with it. We kept Mageslayer feat as is. It's actually quite popular, as it allows you to 'break' a casters concentration.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[MENTION=779]Kobold Avenger[/MENTION],

Honestly, PC half casters and enemy casters of any type benefit the most from the rule, but that's not really important.

If you are deadest on changing the rule then I propose sprinkling in a few new abilities or items that grant PC's a way to force a concentration check.

1. Possibly a potion that when thrown functions like a tactical grenade and temporarily disorients monsters in a small space and forces a caster to make a DC concentration check.
2. Possibly add in a magic dagger that causes concentration checks on casters hit by it.
3. Add in a Paladin smite that has a rider effect that it can disrupt concentration (lower it's damage a bit)
4. Give Eldritch blast an invocation that allows it to break concentration
5. Give arcane casters a low level concentration spell that can debuff a caster to make it hard to maintain concentration on their spells. Make it's effect function just like concentration checks now.
6. I'm sure there's a few more abilities we can add to other classes or items that can cause concentration checks in a game where concentration checks aren't made by default.

Then as far as the feats and abilities that boost PC's concentration, you don't need to change them much as they still have a purpose albeit a less important one. They are useful for if an enemy ever uses one of these concentration breaking abilities against a player.

Speaking of, some enemies should get some nifty abilities they can use to disrupt concentration as well.

Remove ads