D&D 5E Removing the Concentration Damage Save: Houseruling the Affected Feats and Abilities

We removed the concentration save on damage for our group. Casters just maintain concentration. It really hasn't affected anything too much, other than it being one less thing to remember. We all, including the DM, forgot about them over half the time anyway. We still have concentration checks for other things, like casting while falling or with other distractions.
For the Mage Hunter feat, I would just have it force the concentration save. It can even still do so at disadvantage. It really doesn't even need to change.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Okay, the general results of this rule are definitely increasing the power of casters. This needs to be addressed as well as the specifics you already pointed out.

Now, that address could be "I feel casters are underpowered compared to non-casters so this brings them in-line", but since the general consensus is the other way around it probably needs an across-the-board nerf to go with the across-the-board buff.

Okay, the general results of this rule are definitely increasing the power of casters. This needs to be addressed as well as the specifics you already pointed out.

Now, that address could be "I feel casters are underpowered compared to non-casters so this brings them in-line", but since the general consensus is the other way around it probably needs an across-the-board nerf to go with the across-the-board buff.
Give all martial classes an extra tool proficiency. That gives them another way to contribute in the social and exploration pillars.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Perhaps the conjurer could maintain a second summons? Might be a little too powerful for a level 10 ability.

I don't think this will affect things too much, especially if the saving throw is often forgotten anyway. I know it's been forgotten at my tables and perhaps just having a concentration slot is a better rule. It is still limiting casters since they are still only able to have a single concentration spell active. It just takes away the concentration check.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
So, you're changing a core mechanic which most of the other mechanics were developed with that in mind. Be aware, you will have a lot of unintended consequences by doing this.

This is absolutely not true. Save on Damage was added very late in the playtest and no core rules changed with regards to the addition. Maybe a majority of non-open players wanted the 'save on damage' but it was certainly not something built into the system from early on. Groups have been playing without losing Concentration on damage for 3+ years in 5e and 40+ years in D&D to little harm. You are overstating your case.

Galendril

Explorer
This is absolutely not true. Save on Damage was added very late in the playtest and no core rules changed with regards to the addition. Maybe a majority of non-open players wanted the 'save on damage' but it was certainly not something built into the system from early on. Groups have been playing without losing Concentration on damage for 3+ years in 5e and 40+ years in D&D to little harm. You are overstating your case.

Just because it was added late is irrelevant. It was found that casters were too powerful if there was no way to disrupt concentration.

The other editions are even more irrelevant. No other edition was play tested as much as this edition. This edition learns the errors of the previous ones.

I cannot count the number of times the players in my group were saved by disrupting concentration on a spell.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I thought I may have misremembered so I went through all the playtest packets as part of the non-private playtest.

Concentration was not in the first packet (8/17/2012) - there was a fiddly 'Disruption' mechanic. (See 3.x/PF)
Concentration in a near current form showed up in the 10/29/2012 packets with a Con save with a DC equal to half damage and remained static for 3 more packets.
The Save on Damage was dropped 3/20/2013 (after 5 months of testing). Only special circumstances disrupted Concentration.
This remained in place throughout the rest of the wide playtest. This was an additional 14 months and 5 more playtest packets.

1 Packet before Concentration
4 with Save on Damage (1/2 damage for the DC)
6 with No save on damage.
Then it appeared again with Lost Mine of Phandelver and the Live 5e game with the Save on Damage re-added after over a year without it, Loss on Unconsciousness or Stun broadened to include any Incapacitation, and a surprise DC10 minimum.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
How about simplifying the rule as thus:

There are no concentration checks. Critical hits and single attacks doing over 20 damage will automatically break concentration, all other hits will not affect concentration.

So little creatures that had lots of attacks where any one was unlikely to break it but with enough attacks would, still can. Big hits that used to give a chance to break still will. And you're absolutely safe from everything else.

Crits are remarkable enough it should be easy to remember, and a static 20 damage is a threshold the DM can easily remind the players.

Plus it keeps the balance that spells can still be disrupted.

Last edited:

Remove ads