D&D 5E Removing the Concentration Damage Save: Houseruling the Affected Feats and Abilities

• Whenever you hit a creature that is concentrating on a spell, that creature must make a Constitution save or lose concentration on that spell. The DC for this saving throw is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier.
With Mage Hunter being the exception now, I like the fact the save DC is fixed.

For War Caster, doesn't need to be that good anymore, frankly. It's primary purpose was to defang the save on damage rule and provide a way for clerics to ignore the somatic component rule (which, IMX, everybody already ignores). If you really want it to do something, add one of these abilities:

• You gain +1 Constitution to a maximum of 20 Constitution.
  • Your ranged spell attacks are not automatically made with disadvantage because the target is within 5 feet.
  • You add your spellcasting ability bonus to the damage rolls to any one target damaged by cantrips you cast. If you have cantrips from more than one class or feature, use the same spellcasting ability you would use for attack rolls or saving throws with that cantrip. If you already add an ability bonus to your damage rolls for spells or cantrips, instead add that amount plus 1 when casting those cantrips.
I would never have a feat add ability mod damage to cantrips as it would make it too much of a must have feat like how there were a few in 3e/Pathfinder. So it's either special cases like how it is now with Agonizing Blast, or every caster gets it, which in itself would be a totally different houserule and thread for something like a campaign where everyone gets access to firearms (an incentive for low level casters to use cantrips, rather than using pistols until 5th level).
For Focused Conjuration, I would probably do something like:

• When you cast a Wizard Conjuration spell that you know, if that spell has a spell casting time of 1 minute or less, you may choose to cast that spell s though it had a casting time of 1 action instead. Once you use this ability, you may not use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
More and more it's sounds like the viable replacement...

Remove ads