4E Dyeing Multiple Times BEFORE the 3 milestones are completed

The Bluemanarc

First Post
Do Death penalties stack for dyeing multiple times.

We have had one occasion in the past where some one died a second time before completing their 3 milestones.

So DM applied a -2 to all rolls, being affected twice by this death penalty.

And now we just had a very bad battle, where someone died 3 times, one twice, and one or two just once.

Do these penalties stack and one PC will be on -3 to all rolls for 3 milestones.

pemerton

Legend
Do Death penalties stack for dyeing multiple times.

We have had one occasion in the past where some one died a second time before completing their 3 milestones.

So DM applied a -2 to all rolls, being affected twice by this death penalty.

And now we just had a very bad battle, where someone died 3 times, one twice, and one or two just once.

Do these penalties stack and one PC will be on -3 to all rolls for 3 milestones.
I don't think the rules cover this.

My own inclination would be to extend the number of milestones required, rather than to increase the penalty.

The Bluemanarc

First Post
Its also complicated further by one of those Deaths being from the "Bloodcrystal Raven Skull" which stops PC from dyeing.
But imposes -1 penalty to rolls until 1 milestone is met.

This is Epic battles obviously where you can die and be brought back multiple times in a battle through Cleric powers, ED powers and magic items.

You would think it would be covered, if they intended for them to be stacked.
Personally I never considered the possibility of stacking them.

I mean you kill someone 20 times, they are still dead, does killing them another time make a difference.
The amount of times you may be "Dyeing" in a battle below zero and brought back to above 1 HP doesn't affect your Death Saving Throw.

Disclaimer:
I was one of the lucky few who did not die in this nasty battle.

Autongnosis

First Post
Well, going by rules compendium penalties from the same named game element do not stack so i'd assume the intent was for the death penalty to not stack. And i cannot find anything about the milestones.
Honestly going by logic i'd say that it's either a) it resets the number of milestones get rid of the penalty to 3 if you had less left or b) it adds 3 more milestones before you can get rid of the penalty.

What definitely shouldn't happen is to have the penalties stack.

VinAlanson

First Post
I found this ritual, Easy Spirit, which suggests your death penalty can be higher that -1 and therefore stack.
"You designate one creature adjacent to you that is currently affected by a death penalty, such as that gained from the Raise Dead ritual. This ritual lessens the subject’s death penalty by 1."

The Bluemanarc

First Post
I found this ritual, Easy Spirit, which suggests your death penalty can be higher that -1 and therefore stack.
"You designate one creature adjacent to you that is currently affected by a death penalty, such as that gained from the Raise Dead ritual. This ritual lessens the subject’s death penalty by 1."

Yep but I am pretty sure this doesn't apply to Goliaths.
Goliaths are not weak puny Orks like Orkus the fatty, only one penalty can stack on a Goliath.

Remove ads