best feats for druids?

jgsugden

Legend
youspoonybard said:
The reason why I recommend Combat Reflexes so fiercely is illustrated in the back of the 3.5 DMG, page 308.

Look at the Huge and Gargantuan Space and Reach squares. Eventually, you will be able to control that much space. More if you go epic.

Combat Reflexes...

Gargantuan is not available to non-epic Core 3.5 druids. Huge is not available til 15th level. Large is available at 8th.

I'd wait until 9th level (at least) for combat reflexes. I might even wait til 15th.

jgsugden

Legend
Velmont said:
Heavy Armor proficiency can be interesting at high level if you can have your hand on a Wild Dragonhide Full Plate Mail (which is AC 3 better than a Wild Dragonhide Breastplate or 5 than a Wild Hide).

If you're going to get heavy armor, consider multiclassing. Armor proficiency is useless unless you're in humanoid form. If you're going to be in humanoid form, picking up martial weapons is a nice idea. Picking up a level of a fighter class/prestige class that gives martial weapons and heavy armor proficiency can be a nice bonus, even though it slows your spellcasting down by a level.

Velmont

First Post
jgsugden said:
If you're going to get heavy armor, consider multiclassing. Armor proficiency is useless unless you're in humanoid form.

Not necesserly. You won't ever be transform, so you don't want huge penalty to your attack while you are in heavy armor, and if you transform, and you have a WILD armor, you had the bonus of the armor to your transform form, that's why it is so interesting to take it, buit I would take other feats first, as you can live with a dragonhide breastplate easlity too.

Nail

First Post
Don't get toughness. It's not necessary for you, and it's a wimpy feat to boot.

IIWY, I'd take Scribe Scroll. Back up spells are real life-savers.

wiseacre71

First Post
Nail said:
Don't get toughness. It's not necessary for you, and it's a wimpy feat to boot.

IIWY, I'd take Scribe Scroll. Back up spells are real life-savers.

Great information from everyone. Much obliged.

I have decided to start with Scribe Scroll at 1st level; Natural Spell is definitely on the list.

Thanks!

jgsugden

Legend
youspoonybard said:
Ah, but what about Animal Growth?

Uhhhh ... it is bad for your cholesterol. :)

I blanked on it for some reason. Oh well.

It is a fairly short duration spell. Druids don't get too many spells, so using it consistently will deplete your spell reserves. Being Gargantuan for a combat or two is a possibility, but being gargantuan for a majority of your battles may be difficult (depending upon the campaign).

jgsugden

Legend
wiseacre71 said:
Great information from everyone. Much obliged.

I have decided to start with Scribe Scroll at 1st level; Natural Spell is definitely on the list.

Thanks!

Scrolls, much like every woman that ever turned me down, are cheap. Buy them if there is a market for them in your area. Any druid can cast any druid spell, so finding a scroll of the right spell is not too difficult if you can find any druid with the right feat.

Just my humble opinion.

Delemental

First Post
Here's my suggestions:

Natural Spell, of course, as has been mentioned numerous times. I also like to combine this with Eschew Materials so you don't have to worry about material components. I don't think this is as much as a problem in 3.5 though... also, in 3.0 you have to have another metamagic feat to get Eschew Materials (you don't in 3.5). I took Extend Spell for my druid, as it's great with the buff spells.

One feat I took that worked well was Faster Healing out of Masters of the Wild. It increases your natural healing rate. To see the use of this, remember that when you use wild shape, you heal as if you'd rested for a day. My druid rarely needed to get outside healing.

Remove ads