Core+1

Satyrn

First Post
I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get another setting beyond Faerun.
I can't imagine AL would split itself into multiple settings, no matter how many settings WotC gave us.

The first test of my guess would be to answer this: Did AL's 3e counterpart use multiple settings back in 3e?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I can't imagine AL would split itself into multiple settings, no matter how many settings WotC gave us.
There's no reason WotC couldn't put out an AP or two for a setting, with AL running those APs that year. Encounters would emphasize a given product each season, the second season it was Dark Sun, for instance. AL is pretty casual, more so than the RPGA and 'Living' campaigns were, though not as casual as Encounters was.

Remathilis

Legend
Option 2.

Option 1 is a long-shot, but possible.

Option 3 will never happen (as long as WotC strategy remains)
I agree, but it does have some kinks that need ironing out, such as what to do with races that don't exist or are replaced by others, for example. There may need to be a core+setting+supplement system if settings like Dark Sun, or Dragonlance are to get proper support. But that's assuming we ever get a setting that deviates from the PHB norm in any reasonable manner, and right now I don't see a huge appetite from WotC to do more with thier other settings than mine then for ideas and references.

Yaarel

He Mage
The ‘Dark Sun Players Handbook’ can be true to the Dark Sun setting tradition.

And if DMs and players want to add nontraditional races from the (Forgotten Realms) Players Handbook to the demographic, or add nontraditional planes to the cosmology, no problem. Or conversely, make Dark Sun a region of an other setting.

Each setting is just a box of legos. DMs can worldbuild whatever they want. They can build according to the instructions of the box, or alternatively combine pieces from other boxes.

Each setting works best when formally unrelated to the cosmologies of other settings, yet easily miscible because all use the same 5e core mechanics.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
How do people want them to interact with the Core +1 / PHB +1 rule when it comes to the inevitable Psionics release?

Option 1: Psionic classes, powers/spells, items, and races are all contained in one Supplement book with no further support ever planned (as the +1 rule would prohibit us from mixing the supplements)?

Option 2: Psionics introduced in a new CORE/PHB book so that it does not count as a supplement and the Psionic classes and there is room to release supplements supporting those classes?

Option 3: Something else? What?

And, assuming we're getting an Artificer in a book sometime as a separate class, would you want that class/book to be handled similarly?

Option 3: Addend the Adventurerer’s League rules to allow the Psion and/or Artificer class as options you can choose regardless of your +1.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not really, cause option 2 would require altering the content of the PHB. My suggestion doesn’t. I’m just suggesting that the Psion and/or Artificer be explicitly made exceptions to PHB+1.

WOTC can add to the Basic rules at any time, and the Basic rules count as Core +1 without altering content in the PHB.

Remove ads