Solo: A Star Wars Story (seen it!) (spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I went in with fairly low expectations. I came out happy. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Who's seen it. What did you think?

SPOILER SPACE

---
---

Darth Maul! That caught me by surprise.

I'd watch a trilogy of these. Kinda Indiana Jones in space.

Wookies are badass! First time we've really seen the full potential of an angry wookie.

Donald Glover as Lando is really good. Though... he only knew Han for about two days.

If I have a criticism of the film, it's that it can feel a bit checkbox -- here he gets his last name, his blaster, meets Chewie, meets Lando, wins the Falcon, has the single "event" which which turns him cynical, does the Kessel Run... basically *everything* in Han Solo's backstory happened in this one adventure ten years before he met Luke etc.

12 parsecs explained officially.

Loved it when he shot first.

Sounds like the checkbox hit most if not all of your concerns

One thing I’m worried about is that this film looks like it may show that every significant element of Han Solo’s backstory - becoming a criminal, meeting Chewie, meeting Lando, getting his blaster, getting the Falcon, being betrayed and becoming cynical, doing the Kessler Run - all happened simultaneously within the space of one adventure rather than as events spread over a rich personal history. It rather diminishes it all if everything Solo is happened within the space of a week ten years ago. If it transpires he first met Jabba and/or Boba Fett in that week too...

ccs

41st lv DM
I was entertained - in a generic sci-fi action movie kind of way.

That's not a ringing endorsement as I've watched equally/more entraining shlock via my Amazon Prime act.
The sad thing is that I've watched worse SW movies than this....

All you're really getting here is a good Lando performance by Donald Glover, a fairly uninspired heist/double cross plot, some SW window dressing, & a check list of Solo related details (most of wich have never needed any backstory - gun, name, attitude, etc.)
Oh, and there's some guy in it trying to play the role of Han Solo.

If you see it? See it as cheaply as possible & set your expectations to zero.
If you never see it? You'll have missed exactly nothing.

MarkB

Legend
It was a reasonably enjoyable heist movie, but the lead performance wasn't particularly memorable, and the main heist seemed to come together out of nowhere, with no indication of how the characters could have known enough about Kessel to actually pull together a workable plan.

If anything, I'd like to see a prequel to this movie, with Tobias Beckett's crew in their prime. They were all interesting characters, and it was a shame to see most of them drop dead during the first heist.

The Darth Maul cameo was nice, and was a good nod to the Rebels cartoon series - the lightsaber he wields is the same one he acquired during that show. I expect there were a lot more references that I didn't pick up on.

Overall, I'd rate the movie as likeable, a pleasant way to while away a couple of hours, but I won't be looking to pick it up immediately when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray as I did with Rogue One.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Haven't seen it, willing to give it a chance, but still undecided. It all comes to one question, does Han actually complete the run or did it happen without him?

Edit: Wow, I didn't notice when I leveled up. This is also my 2000th post. To celebrate, whoever answers me first and truthfully will get a free color character drawing from me!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Haven't seen it, willing to give it a chance, but still undecided. It all comes to one question, does Han actually complete the run or did it happen without him?

He did it with a bit of assistance.

I guess it’s a spoiler thread...

The droid l33t has a superior navigation computer brain which they install in the Falcon, and they use some special super fuel admixture. Plus Han pilots like a boss.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
He did it with a bit of assistance.

I guess it’s a spoiler thread...

The droid l33t has a superior navigation computer brain which they install in the Falcon, and they use some special super fuel admixture. Plus Han pilots like a boss.

ñ_ñ thank you, now I know I want to watch this movie. Which means I'm out of here, and not coming back until I've seen it.

And that means you've earned a free colored drawing from me of any character you want. Just describe the character you want and I'll do my best to portray him/her -by PM-.

I rather enjoyed it, and like Russ went in with low expectations. It is a movie in the new Space Heist franchise that happens to be a mild ripoff of Star Wars, but eh, that's okay. It's cribbing from good source material.

I mean, thank goodness it's not trying to be a real Star Wars movie, because if so, the attempts at fan service and reductionist storytelling would be kind of obnoxious.

I look forward to seeing what this *Hans Olo* gets up to in the future. He seems like an interesting character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases