Solo: A Star Wars Story (seen it!) (spoilers)

Moorcrys

Explorer
I thought I’d hate it but was pleasantly surprised. A lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Nothing earth-shattering but some fun sequences and enjoyable characters.

delericho

Legend
I look forward to seeing what this *Hans Olo* gets up to in the future. He seems like an interesting character.

There I was worried that it might remind me too much of Firefly's train job episode, when I should have been worried about them ripping off Stargate SG-1...

[video=youtube;0oJtwi43Yds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJtwi43Yds[/video]

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Had similarly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve only watched the live action films and so Darth Maul was a bit of a curve ball given that he died in Episode I. (And wouldn’t Palpatine have known if his apprentice had survived??? Given that we know he’s not going to discard an apprentice that is more machine than man.)

It did feel very tick box and ends with everything directly in place for Episode IV so not sure how they’d squeeze more Solo films in while keeping him in the same place. Also, didn’t buy into the love story (sadly no chemistry between the leads) but I did buy into the Han/Chewy relationship.

No idea why Beckett committed suicide by Solo at the end other than again a fan serving Han shoots first scene (which to be fair I did enjoy).

As an aside, I suppose they may have brought Maul back to give Kenobi a Sith Lord to fight in his movie. Given Kenobi is on Tatooine I hope they resist the temptation for Kenobi and Solo to meet.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There I was worried that it might remind me too much of Firefly's train job episode...

Yeah, as we were walking out of the theater last night, my wife turned to me ans said, "That was one of the better episodes of Firefly I've ever seen."

Between us, that's not a knock on the movie - we like Firefly, so the comparison is a compliment. We liked the film.

The bit with Darth Maul was a bit like a Marvel post-credits scene, and judging from my compatriots, it has a problem with folks who don't know about the cartoon - their first thought was that this screwed up the timeline, as this makes Han perhaps 10 years older than Anakin, rather than ten years older than Luke, and how does that work with the presence of the Empire?Because, if you don't give a little more indication of his condition, the idea that someone screwed up continuity is easier to grasp than a character survived being literally cut in two.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Yeah, as we were walking out of the theater last night, my wife turned to me ans said, "That was one of the better episodes of Firefly I've ever seen."

Between us, that's not a knock on the movie - we like Firefly, so the comparison is a compliment. We liked the film.

The bit with Darth Maul was a bit like a Marvel post-credits scene, and judging from my compatriots, it has a problem with folks who don't know about the cartoon - their first thought was that this screwed up the timeline, as this makes Han perhaps 10 years older than Anakin, rather than ten years older than Luke, and how does that work with the presence of the Empire?Because, if you don't give a little more indication of his condition, the idea that someone screwed up continuity is easier to grasp than a character survived being literally cut in two.

From the trailers I went in worried about the comparison with Firefly (which I also like) but it didn't really jar at all. Similarly, you've hit the nail on the head of our initial confusion with Darth Maul (i.e. as he's dead from Episode I this must be before Episode I and so how is Han so young when he meets Luke??? He'd be as old (almost) as Ben!).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From the trailers I went in worried about the comparison with Firefly (which I also like) but it didn't really jar at all. Similarly, you've hit the nail on the head of our initial confusion with Darth Maul (i.e. as he's dead from Episode I this must be before Episode I and so how is Han so young when he meets Luke??? He'd be as old (almost) as Ben!).

Well Firefly is very heavily influenced by Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well Firefly is very heavily influenced by Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon.

Yes. But the current comparisons, I think, mostly come from the train-job aspect, which looks taken very much from a specific Firefly episode, ("The Train Job" for those who did not watch Firefly) which was original. So, the influences are now a bit circular :)

It was fun. I went in with low expectations and was entertained.

Yeah, it was a bit too check-box as Morrus mentioned. But I appreciated that a lot of the throw-off lines and fan service that could be appreciated by fanatics were worked in far more subtly than in Rogue One. The characters were mostly fun and engaging, even when they were somewhat making fun of themselves.

I personally thought the Maul appearance was a bit weak -- since most people won't get the reference at all unless they've seen the animated series.

As to the Firefly references ... well, Firefly is a space Western; Star Wars got its start as "Wagon Train to the stars" Star Wars was inspired by Westerns so it all fits, and you can do a lot worse for a Star Wars movie than use Western genre tropes. Heck, I personally hope that both the future Kenobi film and the Boba Fett films borrow heavily from Westerns.

Last edited:

Erekose

Eternal Champion
As to the Firefly references ... well, Firefly is a space Western; Star Wars got its start as "Wagon Train to the stars" so it all fits, and you can do a lot worse for a Star Wars movie than use Western genre tropes. Heck, I personally hope that both the future Kenobi film and the Boba Fett films borrow heavily from Westerns.

I could be wrong but I think that’s how Star Trek was originally sold not Star Wars ...

Remove ads