[PF2] Legendary or Magical

Which do you prefer...

• The rogue jumpted out of the tower, and used his legendary skill to land safely on the ground

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • The rogue jumpted out of the tower, and used his magical ability to land safely on the ground.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Something else (comment below).

Votes: 2 8.7%

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
And what kind of magic is “giants existing in flagrant violation of the square-cube law” an example of?

Giants do not actually break the square-cube law, just like you can build a building much bigger then a Giant that does not collapse under its own weight.

jhingelshod

Explorer
True, but only by radically changing the design and materials. No-one builds skyscrapers from bricks and breezeblocks.
A 12' giant puts twice as much force per unit area through it's legs and knees as a 6' human if it retains human proportions, an 18' giant three times the force.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So lots of people seem put off by the idea that you can "legendary" fall from any hight.
Despite the fact that you could "magically" do it in every single edition of D&D (i.e. feather fall).

So which do you prefer? Legendary skills, requiring magic.
It's not like the fall's gonna kill him...

Tony Vargas

Legend
The problem is that I'm not convinced your assertion that legends are fiction is in fact true. Legends are stories without concrete evidence for their truth. Legends lack good historical documentation.
Babe Ruth and Jimi Hendrix are both legends, and the skills that made them legendary are very well-documented, indeed.

Celebrim

Legend
Babe Ruth and Jimi Hendrix are both legends, and the skills that made them legendary are very well-documented, indeed.

English is tricky like that. We are both correct, but even though we used the word 'legend', we each used a word with a completely different meaning which a computer would have to store separately. The definition I gave accords with the first sense of the word legend, but the definition you used accords with the second sense of the word legend. They might as well be separate words for as much as they have in common.

Tony Vargas

Legend
English is tricky like that. We are both correct, but even though we used the word 'legend', we each used a word with a completely different meaning which a computer would have to store separately. The definition I gave accords with the first sense of the word legend, but the definition you used accords with the second sense of the word legend. They might as well be separate words for as much as they have in common.
So, in which sense do you think the word choice in the context of PF2 skills/feats was meant? 'Undocumented rumor' or 'superlative ability?'

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
True, but only by radically changing the design and materials. No-one builds skyscrapers from bricks and breezeblocks.
A 12' giant puts twice as much force per unit area through it's legs and knees as a 6' human if it retains human proportions, an 18' giant three times the force.

What do you mean radically changing materials? If you are assuming that a Giant is made out of the same materials as a Human then why?

Yaarel

He Mage
Regarding the word ‘legend’.

• ‘myth’ is strictly about cosmic paradigms
• ‘history’ is strictly about human events
• ‘legend’ is a weird threshold between the two, where humans interact with mythic forces

For example, King Arthur is a ‘legend’, being a quasi-historical person who interacts with the mythic Holy Grail, the faerie Lady of the Lake, and so on.

By extension, a famous celebrity is sometimes called a ‘legend’, as if this human is taking on mythic cosmic proportions.

‘Legendary’ is when a human engages the mythic.

‘Legendary’ is the same thing as ‘magic’.

Just like Excalibur is a legendary sword and a magic sword.

mellored

Legend
I have to say, I'm a bit surprised by the poll result. I expected something closer to an even split.

And while the sample size is still fairly small, it bodes well for the skill feats.

Remove ads