Wait, is THAT how that works?!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
in 2e PHB spell entries, Saving Throw: Neg means "negates" not "negative" much to the chagrin of the wizard's player.

In either 1e or basic D&D as kids we thought "Turn Undead" meant turn into one, of the type that the cleric was high enough level to turn.
That would be awesome for clerics of Death!

Staffan

Legend
Some of my players back in 2e saw slow poison on the priest spell list, and assumed it meant they would inflict a slow-acting poison on a foe.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- Trying to grasp "negative Armor Class"
- Rules where sometimes 'smaller numbers are better' (AC) but other times 'bigger numbers are better' (damage rolls) and keeping them straight
- Bringing Gamma World vol 1 rules for HP (1d6 per point of CON) into BASIC and 1e D&D - my Wizard has 50 HP at start! (instead of 1d4 HP)

Had a friend who didn't quite understand how many HP you got when you leveled up. I looked at one of his characters and it was a 3rd level fighter with like 50 hp or something. Turns out he thought when you got to level 2 you added 2 hit dice to you max hp, at level 3 you added 3 hit dice, and so forth.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
When I was DMing 3.5 I had a player playing a Ranger, and my only real experience with that class was the Baldur's Gate games, so I assumed the "Favored Enemy" categories were as restrictive as they were in that game. My player didn't bother to correct me and I didn't bother to read it to double-check until the campaign was mostly over.

Last week I GMed my first Powered by the Apocalypse game (Masks, specifically) and one point I... rolled dice. <hangs head in shame>

Schmoe

Adventurer
Had a friend who didn't quite understand how many HP you got when you leveled up. I looked at one of his characters and it was a 3rd level fighter with like 50 hp or something. Turns out he thought when you got to level 2 you added 2 hit dice to you max hp, at level 3 you added 3 hit dice, and so forth.

I did that too! 9th level was awesome.

When I was DMing 3.5 I had a player playing a Ranger, and my only real experience with that class was the Baldur's Gate games, so I assumed the "Favored Enemy" categories were as restrictive as they were in that game.

Never having played the BG games (yeah, I know), what was the difference?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Never having played the BG games (yeah, I know), what was the difference?

It's based off of AD&D 2nd edition, so it was more of a Racial Enemy; so it could be like Ogres or Gnolls or Trolls or Ghouls. Whereas in 3.5, where they can select monster subtypes like Fey, Giants, Magical Beasts or Undead. Classic humanoids are still broken up into different racial groups but there's still a catch-all Monstrous Humanoid for basically everything else. My player was playing a Changeling Ranger from Karrnath in Eberron (militaristic kingdom with a long history of utilizing undead servants, particularly for military purposes) who wanted to choose "Undead" and I was like "I'm pretty sure you have to choose a specific type, like Skeleton or Ghost." He didn't realize at the time it was going to be a very undead-heavy campaign; he later was glad I made him change it even though I was wrong because he didn't want to feel like his character was too broken.

Remove ads