Is Primus a Great God or Overgod in 5e?

gyor

Legend
Right....Primus doesn't seem to have worshipers in the traditional sense. Perhaps all Modrons would be considered his followers, but I don't think that's really accurate. They're almost more like an extension of him.

Same with the Lady of Pain. She won't allow people to worship her. Yet she can block the highest of deities from entering Sigil. Certainly she's worth inclusion in discussions of incredibly powerful planar beings...but she doesn't meet most of the criteria associated with deities. Neither do many other Powers.

So Primus might be more akin to the Lady of Pain, an Overgod.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So Primus might be more akin to the Lady of Pain, an Overgod.

I guess? Is that what she’s considered?

As you can probably tell, those designations don’t matter all that much to me, so I don’t know which deities and beings are which rank.

Has 5E actually established these kinds of ranks again? I don’t know off the top of my head.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wouldn't consider either Primus or the Lady of Pain and overgod. They might have the equivalent power of a greater god without being a god, a kind of cosmic force or being. Primus could even be the sentient manifestation of Mechanis itself.

S

Sunseeker

Well, the typical form in polytheistic religions is not that one person picks one god, and worships them. There is a pantheon, and you turn to the god in the pantheon that is relevant for you current concern. If you are pregnant, you turn to the god or goddess of fertility. If you are in a drought, you turn to the rain god, and so on. Clerics may serve only one, but most worshippers go to all in their time.

That's assuming all the gods are in the same pantheon. Zeus is at the top of the Pantheon because he says so, and the other gods (except maybe Hades, Chronos and a select few others) all acknowledge and accept this. The followers follow this pattern.

That's ALSO assuming that the gods in question exist as a pantheon. Some IRL systems are less structured. Others show more flexibility. Others contain more equality. IE: the moon and the sun are equal gods. And that also largely depends on how you read the mythos. One thing I think D&D does horribly in terms of religion is make everything so clear-cut. From a follower viewpoint, religions are rarely as clear-cut and mechanical as D&D makes them out to be.

And that also says nothing about competing pantheons. Is Ra superior to Zeus? Odin to Pelor? Your assertion also doesn't help for dualistic religions, such as Bahamut and Tiamat. Even if we accept that Io is above both and there are also lesser dragon-gods, neither the followers of Bahamut nor the followers of Tiamat are going to agree that their gods are "equal".

E

Elderbrain

Primus is kind of a special case. While he was mentioned among the beings that might count as gods in the Planescape book On Hallowed Ground, and is stated to have godlike power, he can be (and has been) killed and also doesn't have any Clerics per se. On the other hand, neither do the three gods of magic in Dragonlance, and they're still gods. I personally would stat him up as if he were a lesser god, since he does empower his hierarch Modrons with Clerical spell abilities (at least he did in prior editions), such as the ability to heal other Modrons.

(Side note: Overpowers such as Ao from Toril and High God from Krynn also don't choose to have Clerics - in fact, they might even have the power to DENY Clerical powers to those attempting to gain them from their faith, since Ao gained some freverent worshipers after his existence was revealed during the Time of Troubles, yet none got Clerical powers despite their faith in him.)

Mercule

Adventurer
This was one of the MAIN things that kept ticking us off about 2e when they started rolling stuff out for it...and it got infinitely worse with 3.x. The designers "got lazy". They pulled a "hollywood", so to speak. Rather than take what was already there and use it as a bedrock to create NEW things...they took those things that made up the bedrock of "AD&D" and changed them. Why can't designers leave well enough alone and just build off of what was 'canon' before? Why take something that was already cool, and try and "fix it" to "make it kewler, like with lazer catz! pew pew pew!!!".
Newsletter, etc.

Mercule

Adventurer
I don’t see how he’s either. I don’t see how Primus is a god at all, but rather the command node of a planar operating system, directing a defrag ‘march’ across the Wheel. Primus isn’t a being, the way that someone like Zeus is, Primus is planar code — and if deleted, the Mechanus mainframe upgrades a Secundus with the code for a new Primus to direct the system and choose which chaotic portions of the planes must be partitioned off (even if those area then propagate virally within the new enclosed partition as with the case of the slaadi). There’s some story of the deeper structure of the Wheel (and it’s core alignment-based structure) beyond the gods we see, and the modrons and what appears to an innocuous march across the planes are a part of it...
I had a conversation with someone who explained Enochian magic to me as, essentially, a way to use assembly to tweak the OS of the universe. I'm not sure how accurate of a depiction that is (I haven't found looking through the writings on the topic worth the effort -- too much absinthe or something), but your comment took me back to that conversation. Combining the two ideas, it doesn't take long to end up with modrons (not just inevitables) as a sort of D&D version of M:tA paradox.

I guess it also makes slaadi one heck of a nasty memory leak.

gyor

Legend
Primus is kind of a special case. While he was mentioned among the beings that might count as gods in the Planescape book On Hallowed Ground, and is stated to have godlike power, he can be (and has been) killed and also doesn't have any Clerics per se. On the other hand, neither do the three gods of magic in Dragonlance, and they're still gods. I personally would stat him up as if he were a lesser god, since he does empower his hierarch Modrons with Clerical spell abilities (at least he did in prior editions), such as the ability to heal other Modrons.

(Side note: Overpowers such as Ao from Toril and High God from Krynn also don't choose to have Clerics - in fact, they might even have the power to DENY Clerical powers to those attempting to gain them from their faith, since Ao gained some freverent worshipers after his existence was revealed during the Time of Troubles, yet none got Clerical powers despite their faith in him.)

Did he die or was it his avatar in 5e terms, with him transforming one of his secondeous into a new Primus Avatar, just food for thought.

E

Elderbrain

Did he die or was it his avatar in 5e terms, with him transforming one of his secondeous into a new Primus Avatar, just food for thought.

He died - Primus apparently doesn't have avatars, he only has one body and if you kill it, he's dead... however, he would be replaced by one of his Secondus, which is what happened after Orcus/Tenebrous left Mechanus, having gained all the knowledge he could by taking Primus's place. (Orcus killed Primus and assumed the role of Primus for a time, in order to find his missing Wand. The Modron hierarchy was unaware of this fact until he left.)

E

Elderbrain

Divine ranks mattered directly to PC and NPC Clerics because in prior editions (i.e. 2nd) a deity's rank determined what the maximum spell level it could grant to Clerics - don't have my book in front of me, but it went something like Demigods could only grant up to 5th level, Lesser 6th level, and Intermediate and Greater gods 7th level (7th level at the time being the highest level spells for Clerics). So it mattered game-mechanically what the rank of the god your PC Cleric worshiped was.

Remove ads