D&D 5E Likelihood of another Tales style book?

Chronos96

Explorer
Like it says in the title, what do you think the likelihood is of another Tales from the Yawning Portal style book coming out? As a new DM (Not new to the game though) I really enjoyed how it cherry-picked some of the most famous adventures, I enjoy the mega-adventures and I do feel like I get my money's worth in content but to be honest I haven't run any of them.

I find the style of having a few adventures to be able to pick from more appealing. With 5e Wizards does seem to be of the opinion that you can mine the old material and update it yourself which is true but just having the option to have a book that you can pick an adventure or two out of is immensely helpful and doesn't require me to keep a journal for each of them.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My personal opinion in that its unlikely for the next year or two, because of both DMs Guild and Goodman Games' seeming success with 'Into The Borderlands'. DMs Guild and Adventurer's League now have hundreds of individual modules to purchase for 5E to cover the "smaller, non-adventure path' market, and GG has shown there's probably an additional market for updated classics that third-party companies can negotiate with WotC to produce for them. So the need for WotC to make their own is probably lessened.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
From a marketing perspective, this sort of "bundling" makes sense. Where I wanted and used sunless citadel and would love to use against the giants, there were a few I purchased in the bundle simply because they were included.

Not only that, but offering orange soda (many small adventures) in addition to the big ones like Coke (curse of strahd) almost certainly means there are more sales due to choices.

I for one like the smaller adventures bundles
And will but every such grouping. Conversely I have interest in only every other big adventure at best.

If the marketing research suggests I am one of many they will produce more.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I could see a series of Tales -like hardcover releases that combine classic modules and finish with one of the Classic Megadungeons. For instance, I'd like to see one that climaxes with Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
(Alas that WotC does not pick my brain for ideas.)

MechaPilot

Explorer
I enjoy Tales for one simple reason: the D&D product I want the most is a book of nothing but dungeon maps (which I can populate as I desire). Creating a dungeon map is one of the most time-consuming aspects of creating an adventure (for me), and I love to have a ton of maps to populate and drop into homemade adventures as I need them. Tales comes closest to that desire.

I could see "Return to the Barrier Peaks" as a full adventure path on it's own. There is plenty of room to expand it.

I would quite like to see a book of revamped "whacky" adventures though: Castle Amber, Dungeonland/Land beyond the Magic Mirror etc.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I enjoy Tales for one simple reason: the D&D product I want the most is a book of nothing but dungeon maps (which I can populate as I desire). Creating a dungeon map is one of the most time-consuming aspects of creating an adventure (for me), and I love to have a ton of maps to populate and drop into homemade adventures as I need them. Tales comes closest to that desire.

Oh my friend, I have the thing just for you!

https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/

His maps compendiums are *really* good purchases

https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/zerobarrier/

I've used them ... 6-7 times in a 1.5 year campaign?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

You also could check Elven Tower; this company/group/person makes awesome maps, often of established locations, and you can get many of them free on the website:

https://www.elventower.com

They also have compilations available for excellent prices on Dmsguild.com.

Maybe.
I have a conspiracy theory that Tales from the Yawning Portal was last minute filler to allow Chris Perkins time to catch-up and work on other stuff after doing two adventures per year turned out to be beyond his capabilities.

It's neat, but updating past adventures to 5e is low effort. There's lots of conversions available on the DMsGuild already. And, as mentioned, the Goodman Games conversion of a couple adventures.

There's also all the small adventures on the DMsGuild, including the newly announced version of Lost Tales of Myth Drannor going to be available there. Some adventures and products are even available as Print-On-Demand books.

jasper

Rotten DM
I could see a series of Tales -like hardcover releases that combine classic modules and finish with one of the Classic Megadungeons. For instance, I'd like to see one that climaxes with Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
(Alas that WotC does not pick my brain for ideas.)
Well Darling, if you would not stop believing the line, " I love just for your hot bod!" from female mind flayers; maybe Wotc would come talk to you. :)

Remove ads