Armor of Agathys - can you "recharge it"?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Methods I've used: 1st level is fighter for heavy armor and then take the Heavy Armor Master feat for DR 3/magic, judicious use of the Blade Ward cantrip (lasts until the end of your next turn), be a goliath (Stone's Endurance to reduce damage by 1d12+con every short rest), at higher levels Investiture of Stone for Resistance to non-magical B/P/S damage.

The problem with focusing highly on defense is that the monsters will just attack everyone else and you're left without much to do.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My plan is to use armor of agathy and when that runs out, use shield spell as a back up.

I'm a bit hesitant to take the feat however, as I was planing on taking great weapon mastery and see what all the hype is about...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The problem with focusing highly on defense is that the monsters will just attack everyone else and you're left without much to do.

I haven't really found that to be a problem. My tank-locks are usually using a greatsword or halberd with a great weapon master. :)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I haven't really found that to be a problem. My tank-locks are usually using a greatsword or halberd with a great weapon master. :)

You're at least, what, level 8-10 then?

I'm just saying in general, a character who focuses on defense won't be very effective.

In an easier campaign it doesn't really matter what kind of abilities the characters have, they will succeed.

In a more challenging campaign it doesn't matter that they are the last character standing, the party will still get TPK'd. All the defense in the world doesn't matter when enemies just attack the other 3 characters instead. That's a lot of wasted abilities and resources.

At the end of the day if you're having fun then that's great. If the subject is effectiveness though that's a different story.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

I'm just saying in general, a character who focuses on defense won't be very effective.

In an easier campaign it doesn't really matter what kind of abilities the characters have, they will succeed.

In a more challenging campaign it doesn't matter that they are the last character standing, the party will still get TPK'd. All the defense in the world doesn't matter when enemies just attack the other 3 characters instead. That's a lot of wasted abilities and resources.

At the end of the day if you're having fun then that's great. If the subject is effectiveness though that's a different story.

Depends on the character. Some are human and get great weapon master by lvl 5, then increase Str. Others wait until level 9 if they are a different race.

As I said, I've played several different versions of the tank-lock. Doing enough damage to be a threat hasn't been a problem - this isn't a theory, this is a fact. :)

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

If the subject is 'can I do this', then this is a good forum to have that discussion.

If the subject is 'how can I most efficiently do this', then the discussion should move to the CharOp forum.

--
Pauper

Hello
An initial read of the spell indicates no. The relevant bit is "while you have these hit points" (emphasis added). But then I started wondering... what does that even mean? How does this work?
Thanks!

It is nice when you read the PHB as The book of vile Darkness in search of hidden power and clue to overcome the rules of gods.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

It would be a level 8 character, with access to 3rd level warlock spells.

I like the spell but I'm not 100% sure if it's the best use of a spell slot. There is damage boosting like hex, area denial like hunger of hadar, utility spells...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It would be a level 8 character, with access to 3rd level warlock spells.

I like the spell but I'm not 100% sure if it's the best use of a spell slot. There is damage boosting like hex, area denial like hunger of hadar, utility spells...

Not in this case. Goliath with Heavy Armour Mastery, Great Weapon Master, with level 3 Warlock spells and fighter levels is level 9 at best. At some point investing in defense is just wasting resources. Once you aren't worth attacking all those extra defenses you've put effort into will be wasted. That, and with Armour of Agathys you want to be attacked.

Hex is a waste of a spell slot and concentration past the first couple levels as it is a very weak 3rd+ level spell. Hunger of Hadar though and other AoE spells are great in the right circumstances. Definitely good to have one known.

Most Warlocks won't want to use AoA, so much so that it would also be a waste of a spell known. It can be good though and it scales well. Shadow Blade is a great complementary 3rd level spell though not a great 4th level one. I also like Blade Ward as a known Cantrip with Pact of the Tome. That amount of defense won't usually be worthwhile, but there are situations where it will be very good and one Cantrip is a small investment.

Keep in mind that 15 damage is 4d6+1. Getting that twice plus the benefit of the temp. HP and not using concentration would be a good use of a 3rd level slot. It is also reasonable that enemies wouldn't be aware of the freezing effect until it is too late.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Not in this case. Goliath with Heavy Armour Mastery, Great Weapon Master, with level 3 Warlock spells and fighter levels is level 9 at best. At some point investing in defense is just wasting resources. Once you aren't worth attacking all those extra defenses you've put effort into will be wasted. That, and with Armour of Agathys you want to be attacked.

Hex is a waste of a spell slot and concentration past the first couple levels as it is a very weak 3rd+ level spell. Hunger of Hadar though and other AoE spells are great in the right circumstances. Definitely good to have one known.

Most Warlocks won't want to use AoA, so much so that it would also be a waste of a spell known. It can be good though and it scales well. Shadow Blade is a great complementary 3rd level spell though not a great 4th level one. I also like Blade Ward as a known Cantrip with Pact of the Tome. That amount of defense won't usually be worthwhile, but there are situations where it will be very good and one Cantrip is a small investment.

Keep in mind that 15 damage is 4d6+1. Getting that twice plus the benefit of the temp. HP and not using concentration would be a good use of a 3rd level slot. It is also reasonable that enemies wouldn't be aware of the freezing effect until it is too late.
The character will be level 8 and won't be a goliath (human). I probably won't be taking more than one feat as I want one ASI for cha

Remove ads