• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Barkskin *Might* Be the Worst Spell Description I've Ever Read

Gwarok

Explorer
This is one of those spells that is both very clear yet very poorly worded. Yes, it is clear that your minimum AC is now 16, but this is I think the ONLY example of that in the game. Every other item or spell affecting AC provides a base, or a bonus, and some limits, and can usually be modified by Dex or some other factors. So while it is pretty clear RAW wise, it's uniqueness in how it works is legit cause for some confusion.

D

dco

Of course not, it acts like armour. It makes you harder to hit, because they have to get past the armour.
They should also get past the clothes to hit/touch you if that is your point and clothes don't get AC bonus.

Stalker0

Legend
They should also get past the clothes to hit/touch you if that is your point and clothes don't get AC bonus.

That is simply the scale of how AC works. I like to think that clothes provide ".2 AC", but it gets rounded down. Aka it provides some protection, but in the scale of what we are dealing with, not enough to matter.

D

dco

That is simply the scale of how AC works. I like to think that clothes provide ".2 AC", but it gets rounded down. Aka it provides some protection, but in the scale of what we are dealing with, not enough to matter.
We are talking about how to explain or narrate what happens with armor. The armor reduces damage in the real world and in the game it makes you difficult to hit, the effect is less damage in both cases but how you get there is different. In this game a standing person not moving has more chances to avoid a hit from a titan with a two handed sword using a leather armor, or the armor has the same chances to avoid all damage of a fork or a titan 's two handed sword. For me this makes as much sense at the time of narrating the effect as the barkskin spell, that's all, for others it seems armor acting like force fields is part of their reality, but in that case, not sure why clothes don't act the same way.

Reading the Loxodon description I could see barkskin rewritten to match that of the natural armor trait.
"If your armor would leave you with a lower AC you can chose to use AC 12+Constitution bonus. You can still use a shield." So it is nearly crystal clear that the AC 12+Con part is only used to replace the armor and nothing else.
Even though I think it is not a good thing to take dexterity out of the equation but still allow it for light and medium armor. But that is just my personal quibble.

Harzel

Adventurer
It's dirt simple.

Simple in an absolute sense perhaps, but (although I'd have to agree in the abstract at least) that's subjective.

What is objectively true is that it makes AC calculation more complicated; every AC calculation now has the 'min' function tacked on. That might be ok if there was some benefit to having it this way rather than something that fit more smoothly into the more usual AC calculations.

Harzel

Adventurer
Mr. Crawford's sage advice on the barkskin spell is one of the clearest indications, to me, of the stark raving madness of trying to foist your DM's responsibility for making rulings off on a distant, removed arbiter. Jeremy's primary objective is not to make sure that things work at your table in a way that makes sense and promotes your fun game session. That may be a secondary objective, but the primary objective is to preserve, to the greatest degree possible, the consistency and internal logic of his rules system.

If consistency is a desideratum, Barkskin as specified by JC's sage advice is most certainly an epic fail.

If there are two ways to read a rule, one of which works really well for everyone involved and the other preserves the integration of the rules by abiding by them in a stupid way that renders, for example, a spell completely useless, Jeremy Crawford will choose--must choose, really--the second interpretation. The goal is always to keep errata down to the barest minimum possible.

There is no logical connection between minimizing errata and making the rules consistent (which is what I assume you mean by 'integration of the rules'.)

I don't begrudge him that. Keeping the 5e rules rationally integrated and consistent is his job, and he's pretty good at it.

As measured by what? Keep in mind that his current favorite pat phrase in his tweets is "D&D is a game of exceptions."

Harzel

Adventurer
This is where we’re disagreeing. I’m saying that when you attack a creature, you roll against a number that represents how difficult it is to hit that creature in a vulnerable spot. By default, this number is 10+Dex, representing the creatire’s ability to dodge your attacks. Armor and some abilities change this calculation, usually representing the decreased surface area of the creature that is vulnerable to attack, and potentially the increased difficulty of dodging attacks while armored. Shields and cover increase this number, representing an obstacle preventing the attacker’s blows from reaching the target.

So you are saying that in the fiction the difference between armors is attributable solely to how much body area they cover? Sorry, that's not working very well for me. If that were the case, it would be a lot more sane to have, as some other systems do, incremental AC benefits for which pieces of armor you have rather than the type of armor you have. The version you propose has never IMX been the common D&D fiction.

Remove ads