Do your Political Views shape how your villains and heroes act?

Celebrim

Legend
I would certainly not suggest that my opinions - political or otherwise - do not influence what I think of as a villain or how my villains behave.

But I'd like to think that the relationship is subtle and indirect. And whether it is or not, I doubt the average player could tease out what question of particular interest to me is represented by a character. The reason for this - and I consider this one of the strengths of speculative fiction - is that the novel setting abstracts out the question on to what a consider a 'higher plane'.

So for example, 'black vs. white racism' is just a particular case of 'racism' which is just a particular case of people hating and mistreating other people because those people are different in some way from them. For me, the most interesting questions and the ones most worth considering are in those cases. We may not all be racist. We may not all hold stereotypical views regarding Europeans or Africans or race relations. But none of us are so inhuman as to be able to claim we treat all other people how they ought to be treated, or that we are universally noble in how we treat our out groups. We all justify our anger and our hatred to people that are different than us and we all perceive those differences as threatening or alienating. So for me, one of the great things about fantasy or science fiction is that we can distance ourselves from or own particular biases and dig at the really core issues. I think of great TV shows like 'Twilight Zone' or original 'Star Trek' when it was at it's best, and how they came at real world social issues from first causes and unusual angles. I think that is a far better and far less provocative approach than trying to come at peoples biases directly where you will naturally provoke defensiveness and move right into their (and your) blind spots.

So for example my current villain Anton Andervay is more or less as close to an atheist as you can get in a world where evidence of the divine is pervasive. But I'm not actually critiquing atheism as you might expect, because from my perspective there is something about this fictional setting that makes being highly critical of the divine entirely reasonable, and namely that in reality I am all the divines and the creator of this little fictional tawdry creation. If this was reality, I would totally consider it reasonable to rebel against me as well. Like most of my villains, I've tried to make Andervay sympathetic on multiple levels because many of the difficult questions of life concern things that don't appear to have easy answers, and were completely rational and reasonable people disagree over the answers.

I would be appalled at myself if I created a strawman villain to serve the purpose of bashing some real world group. I don't consider it good art when I encounter it in literature, and I try to avoid producing things which I criticize as poor literary technique in others. I might accidently do this as a result of my own biases, but it is never my intention. Indeed, I got seriously troubled by Andervay when I realized someone might take him as critique of the irreligious, when in fact I had conceived him as a critique of my own world's cosmology after an exercise in trying to imagine what a world with multiple conflicting and contrasting theological viewpoints would universally consider to be heresy. My solace is that my players are correctly (for my value of correctness) troubled by whether Andervay is right and whether his claim that they are the villains in in the story (and he the hero) is not possibly correct. One story fork I'd always considered possible was the party switching sides, something that the class make up (a cleric and a 'paladin') has generally precluded but which I think would have worked just as well as the more straightforward conflict with Andervay and his minions.

I suppose at some level, even this discussion is heavily influenced by what you call my 'politics'. I've probably thrown out a lot of statements that people with different 'politics' disagree with strongly.

As for my players shaping the approach and story, well, it's been a bit weird. My experience with American born players suggests they strongly gravitate to moral systems which in my campaign world would be labelled 'chaotic'. Most American players I play with (with some exceptions granted) can't even imagine the lawful mindset and are generally scornful of it (and scornful of players that have it). Despite this, and despite the fact that the party gravitates toward CN, they have consistently as players made choices that put them at odds with the world's good NPCs (including Chaotic Good ones), and ironically they have most admired the NPC's in my game and most often allied with the NPC's in my game that are Lawful Evil. The sort of NPCs they like and get along with are the ones that are pragmatic and ruthless and admire ruthlessness in others. They quite frankly prefer to be treated as useful tools rather than as comrades or heroes, because being treated like a friend or a hero puts expectations on them that they don't want to fulfill, whereas being treated as some powerful persons useful tool puts only the expectation on them that they'll ruthlessly pursue a mutually beneficial agenda. I suspect that they really would have gotten along well with Andervay right up until he decided to sacrifice them to achieve 'the greater good'. They don't get along well with other chaotics, because they recognize right away that they can no more trust them than others can trust their PCs. So they end up forging alliances with Lawful Evil types pretty darn consistently. Again, this is made easier by the fact that most of my 'villains' aren't snarling puppy killers with curling mustaches, but complex sympathetic individuals that just happen to be mass murderers and crooks. But considering the PCs themselves are often complex sympathetic individuals that just happen to be mass murderers, I wonder if this isn't to be that unexpected.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We all filter our perceptions, so that will impact us in some ways. Hard to separate.

In one of my previous campaigns was very shades-of-grey. Orcs in particular were a big part of that - there were seven tribes of yurt-dwelling nomadic orcs up in the Northern Steppes, each with their own tribal philosophies, as well as sea raider slaver orcs that lived in an archipelago. The group ended up spending a lot of the campaign helping out one of the tribes of orcs that had more of a live-and-let-live though about the humans in a war with some of the other orcs. Is the idea that orcs are not inherently evil and are people, just like other humanoids a part of my politics?

Does it matter my last campaign (which ended this past session after 4 1/2 years) had orcs that were literally birthed from tainted bumbles from deep under the earth?

I try not to intentionally trumpet my own political convictions, nor demonize ones I dislike. But can similarities be found? Sure. Especially because I do like giving my players Faustian bargains as well as morally ambiguous situations. Is it okay to doom this major metropolian city to death by orc to remove a demigod of undead?

My views on real world politics are based on my morality, and the situations I put before my players are also filtered though my morality in finding shades of gray. So they are both causation from my morality, as opposed to directly affecting one another.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I tend to run Eberron, where shades of grey (at least when it comes to alignment) are baked into the system. That said, I don't shy away from using "obviously evil, want to take over and/or destroy the world" types; my current campaign focuses on a cult attempting to resurrect a demonic overlord (an adaptation of HotDQ), my last campaign focused on Erandis Vol trying to re-create the Mourning as part of a plot to regain her powers. Early and minor villains tend to be a bit more mundane, and have included:
*A rampaging undead Warforged veteran of the Last War (this was a Friday the 13th riff)
*A grief-stricken Silver Flame inquisitor with a strong hatred for shapechangers
*The corrupt head of House Lyrander, who accepted vampirism from Lady Vol after both of his sons turned on him, threatening his legacy
*A university professor who was indoctrinating his students into a Cult of the Dragon Below
*A group of Cyran terrorists taking Cannith Tower hostage during a Crystalfall party and threatening to topple the tower unless their demands are met, mostly as cover to rob the House Cannith vaults (this was a Die Hard riff)
*A pair of Half-Elven merchants making a profit off of selling fake religious artifacts

Most of my players tend to be members of marginalized groups so I try not to work those kinds of politics into the story when I can help it, though it can sometimes be fun and cathartic to take down, for instance, a particularly vile misogynistic villain. Or a corrupt corporate official or politician (but I repeat myself).

Of course, I have my suspicions (though I doubt Keith Baker would ever confirm it) that the setting of Eberron was designed with at least a slightly progressive frame of reference in mind (whether it was intentional or not). My players and I certainly enjoy the more subversive aspects of it (the takes on alignment and "monstrous" races, in particular). If anything, my personal politics inform the setting more than they do the specific characters or stories we tell. Most cultures in my worlds are extremely progressive when it comes to gender, sex, and sexuality, for instance. Most (though certainly not all) of the Dragonmarked Houses are rife with corruption and are driven more by profit than by any other kind of principle (though in my current campaign the Houses are leading the charge against the cult threatening the world while the nations themselves are busy closing and fortifying their borders). Race & racism, from a D&D perspective, is a very different thing from race & racism in the real world, and I try to make those distinctions clear while also continuing to question those impulses (my players tend to deal with many good and helpful orcs and goblinoids, for instance; I even have a fairly helpful if creepy and manipulative mind flayer NPC that the players don't necessarily know if they can trust or not).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My political and-or personal views certainly influence what I'll DM. For example, I have no patience or love for real-world economics and thus if someone wants to start playing buy low-sell high or market futures or anything else like that in my game it'll get smacked down hard (players who don't know me so well might get a warning first, if they're lucky).

They also influence the game in other ways, subtly when I go with type without realizing it, and openly (to me) when I intentionally go against type and make a villain out of something I'd normally cheer for.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Only politics going on is whatever fictional politics is going on in the setting - when I'm running games in my world, the real world doesn't really exist, at least not verbally.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I really do not see how you could play real life political views in a DnD game. I mean for a start you have Villains who really are Evil rather then merely crooked and illegal aliens that really are Alien.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm not going to say my political views don't enter into my DMing, I know better than that. It is my belief that everyone is influenced by their political opinions whether they choose to admit it or not.

Well then you believe wrong (at least as far as my DMing is concerned).
See, much like these boards are an inappropriate place to air my political views, so too is my game time. Especially so for any game I run at the local shop.

So please believe me when I state that my politics is not an influence on my gaming.
(Hell, they don't even influence who I game with. For ex; one of my good friends has considerably different political opinions than I do. We've never had any trouble sharing a beer, rolling dice, & slaying monsters together come the weekend. We just agree to disagree & save certain discussions for sometime-other-than-D&D-night.)

Jhaelen

First Post
I really do not see how you could play real life political views in a DnD game. I mean for a start you have Villains who really are Evil rather then merely crooked and illegal aliens that really are Alien.
That's not quite true. I actually consider villains that are simply 'Evil' (with a capital 'E', no less) considerably less interesting than villains that are just misguided. Villains should have comprehensible motivations. If you want to be really clever, create villains with goals that aren't actually much different from the PCs. That's guaranteed to generate some interesting roleplaying opportunities.

Remove ads