4.33 Years in: What Now for 5E? (and have we reached "Peak Edition?")

Aldarc

Legend
However, this willingness to switch editions is apparently not the norm among those who play D&D, which is what WotC found out the hard way. Now they have determined that evergreen is what makes them more money in the short term and long term, while we certainly cannot predict the future, it is safe to say that they will follow the money.
Opera Voice (tenor in B major): "Il portafoglio è mobile!"

We should also note that most other TTRPGs don't go through drastic rule changes between editions—this is not the norm in the industry, and many players (like you said) are not a fan of the throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater method of edition upheavel.
It's more normal than you think. There have been some fairly large changes in editions for a lot of industry games out there: Der Schwarze Auge, Fate/Fudge, Warhammer, 7th Sea, etc.

Edit: Added link in case reference was lost.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Can I just say this- when I was a kid, I totally loved the Decepticons.

Sure, the autobots were "cool," I guess. But whatever, cars, man.

Decepticons? They were AWESOME.

They got to be TANKS and SPACE SHUTTLES and FIGHTER JETS and a FRIGGIN' GUN (that may not have aged well, but still).

Cars ... or AWESOME?

Dinobots.

Stalker0

Legend
And Monopoly, and Risk. But these have been evolutionary in nature. The edition history of BD&D seems to be the best indicator of what we might eventually see for a 6E.

That's a fair point. Boardgames evolve either through new games (old mechanics evolve in new ways in new games...but often the core of new games are similar to games that were released a few years ago) or through expansions.

While BG expansions often add new elements, they do on occasion introduce rule changes to the original. You could see a similar thing in dnd. A dnd "expansion" provides new X,Y,and Z....and offers rules changes like to the beastmaster ranger as an example.

Kite474

Explorer
I think it is important to keep in mind, that as far as sales numbers go, no other RPG matters. They're all just blips compared to D&D. None of them are big enough for WotC to notice, let alone push them to do anything.

Pretty much. While a great flaw of the industry at large it sure makes sure D&D is never going anywhere

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's a fair point. Boardgames evolve either through new games (old mechanics evolve in new ways in new games...but often the core of new games are similar to games that were released a few years ago) or through expansions.

While BG expansions often add new elements, they do on occasion introduce rule changes to the original. You could see a similar thing in dnd. A dnd "expansion" provides new X,Y,and Z....and offers rules changes like to the beastmaster ranger as an example.

Or "Guild Spells" as a Background Faction feature. Or Dragonshard subrace options.

OB1

Jedi Master
Does anyone know how sales of the print books currently compare to Beyond?
Because I can easily imagine that 5e will be the last physical edition of D&D. I know that sounds blasphemous, but the bottom line is that the print business is rapidly collapsing, and as it continues, the costs to produce hardcover books is going to skyrocket.
Combine that with the fact that a digital edition can be kept “evergreen” by continuing to patch and slowly change the original material, and it seems too good an option to pass up.
Starter Sets could continue to be physically produced as an entry point that can be sold in stores and unwrapped on birthdays, but that would be it.
Instead of 6e in 4-5 years, WotC could just phase out print, and then start making changes, repackaging PHB or MM “books” with the most popular and updated content at the time.
In fact, I wonder if the latest set of errata, which clearly went beyond fixing typos, isn’t a sort of beta test to see how Beyond players respond. I’d bet that a majority of players won’t even notice the changes, and will simply incorporate them into play the next time they look up a relevant ability in their digital character sheet.

jasper

Rotten DM
I've hit the sobering realization that there is vastly more gaming that I would like to do than could be completed in a lifetime.
I have an excellent deal for you. I know a guy. Roleplayer. He goes all in and dress up as Amosdeus. I'm sure he cut you a deal to make work. Just sign on the line and ignore the burning match smell.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

I don't know, but I'd wager that print version likely greatly outweigh D&DBeyond in the sales department.

Because I can easily imagine that 5e will be the last physical edition of D&D. I know that sounds blasphemous, but the bottom line is that the print business is rapidly collapsing, and as it continues, the costs to produce hardcover books is going to skyrocket.

I think we have at least one or two more print versions before that.

jasper

Rotten DM
A new D&D cartoon, in the style of the She-Ra reboot.

I'm on board.
Jasper quietly unsecure the bookshelves and makes an adjustment. Gives it a shove.
Jasper, "..... lowkey LOOK OUT!"
One emergency phone call later.
Jasper, " it was horrible. The bookshelves just collapsed on top of him! I tired going to his aid but the 5E PHB signed by Gary Gynax distracted me. boo hoo!"
edit to add.
Wait a minute. There is actually a she-ra reboot. It was just a you tube parody!
Looks at the body.
OPPS!

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)

I think the opposite is true.

I think a huge factor in 5e's success is that people want to do something away from a screen. The more technology permeates life the more things like D&D and board games will be appreciated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases