4.33 Years in: What Now for 5E? (and have we reached "Peak Edition?")

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Can't agree enough; I have to admit, I'm a little bit long in the tooth for the target audience, but it's remarkably good all-ages viewing.

If they could get something like that for a D&D Cartoon reboot (just, um, no whiny Barbarian, please), that would be AMAZING!
Not that the She-Ra cartoon isn't great, but I'd rather see something more similar in tone to the recent Castlevania series or the Voltron reboot.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Keep in mind that superhero movies used to be terrible too. All the way up to 2008. But they kept trying anyway and eventually they did it.

We now have a model for that sort of movie that works. I don't see why D&D can't just copy it.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Keep in mind that superhero movies used to be terrible too. All the way up to 2008. But they kept trying anyway and eventually they did it.

We now have a model for that sort of movie that works. I don't see why D&D can't just copy it.

Well...

I suppose that's true, but one must remember that D&D is a role-playing game that has only recently come into the benign gaze of the common consumer. Comic books and superhero movies have been around for ages, and have had their IP properties managed by professional studios for quite a while.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Can I just say this- when I was a kid, I totally loved the Decepticons.

Sure, the autobots were "cool," I guess. But whatever, cars, man.

Decepticons? They were AWESOME.

They got to be TANKS and SPACE SHUTTLES and FIGHTER JETS and a FRIGGIN' GUN (that may not have aged well, but still).

Cars ... or AWESOME?

Aerialbots or GTFO. :)

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Well, in an ideal world .... WHY NOT BOTH?

I really think that getting the kids hooked young is a way to build life-long TTRPGers. So ... maybe something family friendly as well as a slightly more gritty version?

I can picture it now...

"Well, since the kids are grown up now, they can graduate from Ashardalon and Friends to Game of Planes"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, in an ideal world .... WHY NOT BOTH?

I really think that getting the kids hooked young is a way to build life-long TTRPGers. So ... maybe something family friendly as well as a slightly more gritty version?

Probably somewhere in the middle, but closer to She-Ra than Castlevania. Given the general trend of D&D tie-in products...Endless Quest, Dungeonology, etc.

Remove ads