D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m fascinated that many here come to the conclusion that rope trick is intended not to allow a short rest.

I’m fascinated that many here come to the conclusion that rope trick is intended not to allow a short rest.

Oh, I'm not sure of the intent. I would certainly House-rule that the extra-dimensional space created by the spell allows for 1 short rest due to time dilation or something similar. The timing is close enough that it would appear the intent was there, and I don't think it would ever be game-breaking. I'm just saying that as written the spell absolutely does not allow for a short rest as it takes a non-zero amount of time to enter the space and if the timing in the PHB is to be taken exactly then a short rest inside the space is impossible.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You are ignoring the "up to" as well, though. "Up to" includes 60 feet. According to the PHB, while climbing (or swimming) each foot traveled costs two feet of movement. That means that, within the spells description, if the rope is 60 ft long, which it can be, then it would take a creature with 30 ft of movement two rounds to scale the rope, even without a skill check (15 ft movement, 15 ft dash action). So that is at least 12 seconds of time off of the specific length of the spell of 1 hour. That means that they would get to the safe space with 59 minutes and 48 seconds to rest. Again, according to the PHB, a short rest is at least 1 hour. 59 minutes and 48 seconds is not equal to 1 hour, so according to the rules as written, it would not be useable for a short rest unless the character could become immediately inside the safe space.

I have no problem ruling that the space inside of rope trick spell can be used as a short rest. Maybe that extra dimension has slightly different rules for time. However you cannot claim that by the rules as written that rope trick is designed for a short rest because everything about it denies a short rest by the nature of the spell.
Uh... what?
No. Just- no.

It being up to 60' means you only ever use 60' if you want a 60' rope. Again you're ignoring something: common sense. If the rope is too long for your timescale, and you don't have to use a rope of that length, don't. Use a shorter one.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Oh, I'm not sure of the intent. I would certainly House-rule that the extra-dimensional space created by the spell allows for 1 short rest due to time dilation or something similar. The timing is close enough that it would appear the intent was there, and I don't think it would ever be game-breaking. I'm just saying that as written the spell absolutely does not allow for a short rest as it takes a non-zero amount of time to enter the space and if the timing in the PHB is to be taken exactly then a short rest inside the space is impossible.

Or you could say that the spell takes no position on a short rest at all and that some portion of the short rest will be outside of the safe space. No big deal as it will probably never matter.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Yep, that’s definetely fascinating to me.

Uh... what?
No. Just- no.

It being up to 60' means you only ever use 60' if you want a 60' rope. Again you're ignoring something: common sense. If the rope is too long for your timescale, and you don't have to use a rope of that length, don't. Use a shorter one.

I mean... what? You're arguing that the spell is designed for a Short Rest. I'm saying that by the very nature of its design it denies a short rest if you are reading the rules as written. You can houserule whatever you want, but since it takes some amount of time to get into the space, anything less than 1 hour (which is must be due to how time works) does not grant the as written requirement for a short rest. So houserule away, that perfectly fine.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I mean... what? You're arguing that the spell is designed for a Short Rest. I'm saying that by the very nature of its design it denies a short rest if you are reading the rules as written. You can houserule whatever you want, but since it takes some amount of time to get into the space, anything less than 1 hour (which is must be due to how time works) does not grant the as written requirement for a short rest. So houserule away, that perfectly fine.

It does not "deny" a short rest.

It does not "deny" a short rest.

Sure, wrong terminology. Having a rope trick extra-dimensional space cast does not create a zone of non-short rest. It denies a short rest within the extra-dimensional space by the nature of the spell. Doesn't allow? Sure, doesn't allow. The time able to be spent in the extra-dimensional space is not enough, per the rules, to allow for a Short Rest. The requirements as written for a short rest cannot be met inside of the extra-dimensional space of the rope trick spell.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The requirements as written for a short rest cannot be met inside of the extra-dimensional space of the rope trick spell.

^ That's a better statement. You can't get a full hour out of a rope trick spell if you parse getting into and out of the thing in seconds.

But in actual play, such a ruling may result in players rolling their eyes so hard that one or more of them might have an aneurysm.

Remove ads