Choose One Cantrip You'd Like In Real Life

Choose One Cantrip You'd Like In Real Life

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Mending. I spend waaaaaaaaay too much money on car repairs.

I agree I am just a bit confounded on the pratical application. A tire break? Sure, mending should work. But and unknown engine problem? If I can identify a hole somewhere or break, OK that's an easy fix for this spell. But if I have no idea what's wrong? Can you just touch the engine and attempt to mend it without knowing what or where the break is at? I dunno.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
Prestidigitation. I have 5 year old twins at home. The ability to entertain with a harmless sensory effect (sparks, music, etc), turn on/off lights, clean 1 cubic foot of an object, chill warm or flavor food, draw on any surface and it DISAPPEARS within 1 hour, and create a trinket or illusion in my hand would be PRICELESS. Freaking PRICELESS.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am a bit surprised nobody has chosen Thaumaturgy yet.

30' range, lasts for up to a minute, you create minor mircles at a whim. Booming voice, flickering flames which can change color, tremors in the ground, instant remote sounds, make doors and windows fly open or slam shut, completely alter your eyes (not just color but their entire appearance), and have three of these effects going at once. I mean, this is the "scare people into thinking you're an angel/demon walking the earth" cantrip :)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Wish there was more than 1 choice allowed.

Indeed. While mending in my first choice (the practical applications are astounding), prestidigitation is my second choice. Guidance is a close runner-up for second place.

Spare the dying in nice in theory, but without heal or some other high-level curative spell, it's just a slight delay in the inevitable in many cases. Sure, great for emergency rescue and what not, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem in most cases.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I am a bit surprised nobody has chosen Thaumaturgy yet.

30' range, lasts for up to a minute, you create minor mircles at a whim. Booming voice, flickering flames which can change color, tremors in the ground, instant remote sounds, make doors and windows fly open or slam shut, completely alter your eyes (not just color but their entire appearance), and have three of these effects going at once. I mean, this is the "scare people into thinking you're an angel/demon walking the earth" cantrip :)

Yeah, it's definitely cool and all. But it just loses out to more pratical cantrips.

I am curious about the archeological repair business you consider here. Would it work? I mean OK if you have a complete pottery in one place it's just broken to pieces, I can see using the spell (many times) right there to repair it. But if it's not complete? If portions are particles of dust at that point? Does the spell create new materials to fill in gaps, or just glue together existing pieces?
Should work most of the time. It probably wouldn’t replace significant chunks of missing material, but all breaks/tears are some quantity of missing material that would have to be replaced by the cantrip if the cantrip works as advertised.

Every table is going to have a different place where they draw the line, but I let players fix things if they have about 90% of the original object. So, I could see it fixing an old Egyptian vase or repairing a chipped dinosaur skeleton (with many casts).

Remove ads