Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Had hopes for the new season of Discovery as I have been a major Trekker since I first watched the original series in the '60s. This is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but the show runners have somehow managed to make Star Trek almost unwatchable.

Michael continues to add to her resume: now in addition to being the best pilot and best science officer, she also has a complete understanding of engineering systems. And the direction--just terrible, I can't remember when I last watched a show with so many people standing around doing literally nothing while the protagonist literally does everything. Standing with concerned looks on their faces, hands hanging loosely at their sides the other officer's body language was cliche and consistent with innocent bystanders waiting to be saved.

Finally what is with the continued cursing by everyone and what happened to any semblance of respect for the chain of command or higher-ranked officers? Guys and Gals (writers or directors) although Star Fleet isn't a military for pete's sake even the crew on a cruise ship or a freighter don't voice whatever flippant thought that pops into their heads and ignore direct orders or contravene them like the crew of the Discovery does.

Although it is out of context Jack Nicholson had it right (especially aboard a ship in deep space): "we follow orders or people die". In my opinion it should be a rare and meaningful moment that a crew member chooses to disobey a direct order not business as usual.

Nope. Didn't like it. Not at all.

My gauge for Star Trek is pretty simple: Would I be excited to visit the world being presented in the stories. Honestly--not at all.

MK

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed the new episode immensely. Pike was perfectly cast, the Enterprise was gorgeous (shame we won’t see much of it) and the plot has me hooked already.

Pike was awesome, and it was an episode pretty much entirely about exploration and mystery, which is great.

I didn't care much for that action landing sequence, though. On the other hand, that was one of the only few "tense" moments in the episode, so I guess it wouldn't have worked without something like that, but the sequence specifically wasn't that great.

Now I have to wait a whole week for the next episode. Meh.

MarkB

Legend
Pike was awesome, and it was an episode pretty much entirely about exploration and mystery, which is great.

I didn't care much for that action landing sequence, though. On the other hand, that was one of the only few "tense" moments in the episode, so I guess it wouldn't have worked without something like that, but the sequence specifically wasn't that great.

Now I have to wait a whole week for the next episode. Meh.

It's not really that the action landing sequence was bad, just that we've seen dozens like it. It's pretty much a rip-off of Kirk and Khan's EVA in Star Trek Into Darkness, and there've been plenty of similar sequences. They did at least subvert the "redshirt dies first" trope, but it felt like that was half the reason they made the sequence.

Also, I'm not sure why the pods' tails kept spinning. Was the spinning helpful in some way?

It's not really that the action landing sequence was bad, just that we've seen dozens like it. It's pretty much a rip-off of Kirk and Khan's EVA in Star Trek Into Darkness, and there've been plenty of similar sequences. They did at least subvert the "redshirt dies first" trope, but it felt like that was half the reason they made the sequence.

Also, I'm not sure why the pods' tails kept spinning. Was the spinning helpful in some way?

I say "gyro-stabilization", but I really think: "CGI bovine excrement". ;)

Hussar

Legend
I liked the episode. Fun. Trekkie. Cool. And some bloody gorgeous scenes.

But yeah. The spinny tails were stupid and distracting.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Tig Notaro and her "kids" made a great entrance. Pike was better than I expected. If the rest of the season is as good as the first episode then I look forward to it. Oh hell, I'll watch it even if it sucks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases