Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Derren

Hero
I give it a few more episodes but I have no interest in Star Trek: Burnham. I hope the other characters will get more spotlight and are allowed to do things besides applauding to Mary Sue. Also, more sensible logic, less pod races please.
I wonder if they only brought in Linus for that awful sneeze "joke". Apparently there are no manners in Starfleet...

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Guys, let’s steer clear of yet another thread derailed by that godawful “she’s a Mary Sue” thing.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Red text. Fleee!!!!!!

If it matters to anyone, Jonathan Frakes directed tomorrow's episode.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Besides the asteroid sequence running on too long, I really liked the season 2 premiere. Felt like the writers were making it clear they'd addressing weaknesses in the first season, like when Pike calls for a roll-call on the bridge. Hopefully this will be more of an ensemble show from now on.

Loved the lighter tone, Pike, Jet Reno (a Cowboy Bebop name in Star Trek? I'll allow it), the engineer who can totally read a book about doctoring, the Tilly & Stammets Show, and the general impression the show runners are going to use the 2009 film as a touchstone.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
To me this episode was a lot like older Treks. An away mission, techno babble solution to crisis, Prime Directive. I thought it deepened the red angel story and moved it along also.

I have to stop watching this guy on Youtube. He has a channel where he critiques The Orville and Discovery. He loves The Orville and hates Discovery. He seems to be unable to find anything positive to say about Discovery. Maybe unwiling is a better word. My first experience watch Anson Mount was Inhumans. I suppose not the best vehicle for him. I am liking him as Pike. The Pike/Burnham pairing is what I kinda would have liked from Janeway/Chakotay. In the end it seems, no matter how much they try to be more like traditional Trek, people are going to hate it more. I'm enjoying it more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I really enjoyed this one.

I think the only thing I wish is that they update the uniforms to the ones Pike was wearing when he arrived.

Hi All,

I found this weeks episode to be much more entertaining and balanced. The writers still have the unfortunate habit of trotting out the 'disobey a direct order' trope. It is fast becoming a cliche which completely negates the purpose of a chain of command especially when in all instances the commander is in error.

One of the things I remember from the original star trek writers handbook was a passage where Gene Roddenberry advised the writers that one of the most important precepts of the show was that events despite their fantastical milieu should be logical and feel true. I believe that the litmus test he used was take the situation strip away the fantastic elements and it should still work on the bridge of a modern warship. This was extremely savvy of the Great Bird of the Galaxy and I think is why the stories and situations are still entertaining on multiple watches. Verisimilitude.

Discovery has definite potential I just wish the writers would apply this rule. How much better the stories might be.

This week was worth the time.

Ryujin

Legend
Current rumours, based on Twitter posts by Anson Mount (Christopher Pike), are that Discovery is to be cancelled. At least one Youtuber (Nerdrotic) is claiming inside information with respect to this.

I think he's wrong and is banking everything on Mount's comments that he was unemployed, that to me just sounds like Pike is a one season character arc, and it's going to continue production for a season 3. I make no bones about not liking the show, but misconstruing one tweet to bury a show is ridiculous.

Remove ads