D&D 5E what version of the Ranger do you use?

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm definitely in the camp of being disappointed with the PHB Ranger. It's convoluted and lackluster. I liked what I saw with the Revised Ranger and was very disappointed that WotC decided to stop development; I wanted to see it finished.
Whether they stop developing it or not is entirely up to us fans.

If enough fans make a ruckus, we're showing them that their spiel, that "you're playing Beastmasters anyway, it seems our customers don't really mind shutty mechanics" is just a convenient dream to hold onto the PHB as ever fracking green.

Shiroiken

Legend
Homebrew Ranger. Mostly just the PHB Ranger, with a few additional features. You get to deal 2+ 1/4 your Ranger level to Favorite Enemies. Plants and Oozes have been combined as Favorite Enemies. You get more Favorite Enemies and Favorite Terrains (basically each time you get one, you get the other).

Beastmaster got the simple revision that the beast continues to take the last order given on its turn. If no order is given, it will simply Dodge (or take some other reasonable action as determined by the DM) until instructed otherwise.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
PHB Ranger, and everyone politely ignores the Beastmaster.

The rest of the class is still within the power curve, though on the far side (as half of the classes would be), and has some decent advantages for other pillars of play outside combat.

I've played a UA Revised Ranger, and it was fun. But it's got a few abilities that are a pain for the DM to run as well as very ripe for multiclassing cherry-picking (and arguably too powerful), as well as their beastmaster isn't balanced against multiclassing (because it goes off Proficiency so it continues to advance while you're getting full power in some other class). So I don't use it.

Last edited:

mortwatcher

Explorer
The capstone ability is particularly lackluster, granting a fairly small bonus in a fairly small sub-set of circumstances. It's certainly nothing like the fighter or barbarian, or even the paladin.

most campaigns won't see the capstone abilities, and if your capstone is lackluster (which it is for most classes), you should just multiclass instead (action surge will see use in every class)

as far as rangers are concerned, BM might not be the most optimized, but if they really want a pet, they will have fun with it
the other rangers are just fine

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have two rangers in my Eberron games that use regularabsentees' Revised Ranger that they've made and posted to the Unearthed Arcana subreddit. They've taken WotC's UA Ranger and rebalanced it to be less frontloaded. It's always going through slight balancing changes but I really like what they do with it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/9bk31c/rrr_v3_revised_ranger_revised_a_comprehensive/
One thing I find 90% funny and 10% sad is that there's so many attempts at homebrewing a ranger fix, that's there's actually a subreddit just for ranger fixes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD5CommunityRanger/

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
One thing I find 90% funny and 10% sad is that there's so many attempts at homebrewing a ranger fix, that's there's actually a subreddit just for ranger fixes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD5CommunityRanger/

Yep. For a while I was using the 'Consensus Ranger', which was a Ranger fix that I think basically the entire Unearthed Arcana subreddit got together and tried to create that used almost everything that people thought the ranger "should" have.

However, I just prefer regularabsentees' job on revising the WotC UA version. It's clean and it includes things that I like for the ranger to have.

Remove ads