Hexsorcadin 6/1/13 vs Sorcadin 6/14 - is SAD worth it?

Benny89

First Post
I’d lean toward divine soul. Darkvision isn’t worth it when you can just use the light cantrip.

Being able to see through magical darkness and casting darkness is strong In theory but it’s not very party friendly and that makes it impractical.

All in all I’d say neither subclass is particularly strong for you but divine soul is probably a little stronger than shadow.

what race and feat if applicable did you start with?

Do you think some other Origin is stronger for Sorcadin 6/X than Divine or Shadow? I know Draconic has it's uses for fire spell and GFB with with extra attack I won't use GFB much and fire spells apart from fireball or scorching ray are not that great to take. And fire is most resisted damage type I think. What other Origin?

I started Variant Human Paladin 1 with War Caster (DM allowed), then 1 level Sorcerer for BB, GFB and Shield, then Paladin to level 5 I will take +2 CHA, then Push Paladin to 6 for Aura, then take 3 levels Sorcerer for 10 level and +2 CHA ASI and then I will see if continue (hope to get Giant Belt) or dip Hexblade. So at level 10 I will Have War Caster, 20 CHA.

Then I plan to take Shield Master for that awesome Dex saves boost (as I will be standing in front of all breath type monsters) and then probably Mobile or Inspiring Leader. I was also thinking of RES (CON) instead of Shield Master but I will see if War Caster and +5 Aura will be enough with CON 14.

Last edited:

Benny89

First Post
If I do a sorcadin it tends to be just for 2 levels of paladin and then levels of sorcerer.

Not an option, I need to also be a tank for my team and Aura and Extra attack are too strong for that. Besides I want to be more melee than caster as I prefer to smite things instead of disintegrate them adn 6/14 seems like perfect balance. 2/18 is just Sorcerer with option to smite in melee, if he ever wants to get there. 6/14 is to dive in and destroy, while being extremely hard to take down by both damage and save-spells.

Last edited:

I think I'd do option 3. 6 Paladin levels, 11 Sorcer levels and 3 levels of Hexblade. You still have level 6 spells which covers all you need, and level 2 hexblade spells, access to blade warlock feat (the one that allows it to be used as a focus and makes it magical) and agonizing blast to make it a real useful tool as quickened spell. Without agonizing blast it is a normal cantrip. You could forfeit the improved pact weapon invocation and take the grasp of hadar invocation to pull an enemy up to 40ft towards you as a bonus action.

Benny89

First Post
[

I think I'd do option 3. 6 Paladin levels, 11 Sorcer levels and 3 levels of Hexblade. You still have level 6 spells which covers all you need, and level 2 hexblade spells, access to blade warlock feat (the one that allows it to be used as a focus and makes it magical) and agonizing blast to make it a real useful tool as quickened spell. Without agonizing blast it is a normal cantrip. You could forfeit the improved pact weapon invocation and take the grasp of hadar invocation to pull an enemy up to 40ft towards you as a bonus action.

While I appreciate your proposition- I don't want to dip more than 1 Hexblade. Even that 1 I would prefer not to but I can't be sure if I will find STR boosting item, but I think till 10 level I can manage with 16 STR. Also since I will be SnB, I don't really need Pact Blade for that.

But thank you nevertheless for help :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Not an option, I need to also be a tank for my team and Aura and Extra attack are too strong for that. Besides I want to be more melee than caster as I prefer to smite things instead of disintegrate them adn 6/14 seems like perfect balance. 2/18 is just Sorcerer with option to smite in melee, if he ever wants to get there. 6/14 is to dive in and destroy, while being extremely hard to take down by both damage and save-spells.

Paladin 2 sorcerer x tanks very well. High ac and shield is a strong combo. Absorb elements for elemental damages. That said the saving through bonus is always enticing.

The melee cantrips and higher spell slots and more sorecery points tend to keep your damage competitive with a comination that gets extra attack. All you do is smite and green flame blade bonus action green flame blade etc.

The only downside is the saves but the upside is that the useful spells I’m getting all come online a full 4 levels faster.

In the end I do it this way because it gets my concept up and running the fastest with the only trade off really being better saves vs more higher level spells and spell slots.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Do you think some other Origin is stronger for Sorcadin 6/X than Divine or Shadow? I know Draconic has it's uses for fire spell and GFB with with extra attack I won't use GFB much and fire spells apart from fireball or scorching ray are not that great to take. And fire is most resisted damage type I think. What other Origin?

I started Variant Human Paladin 1 with War Caster (DM allowed), then 1 level Sorcerer for BB, GFB and Shield, then Paladin to level 5 I will take +2 CHA, then Push Paladin to 6 for Aura, then take 3 levels Sorcerer for 10 level and +2 CHA ASI and then I will see if continue (hope to get Giant Belt) or dip Hexblade. So at level 10 I will Have War Caster, 20 CHA.

Then I plan to take Shield Master for that awesome Dex saves boost (as I will be standing in front of all breath type monsters) and then probably Mobile or Inspiring Leader. I was also thinking of RES (CON) instead of Shield Master but I will see if War Caster and +5 Aura will be enough with CON 14.

The point was that all sorcerer subclasses are weak for this concept. I think divine soul ends up being the best of the bad if you will. But the difference between it and dragon or it and shadow is such a small power difference that it really is inconsequential IMO.

The point of taking sorcerer for this character is for spell slots and quicken spell. The subclasses just add a little flavor IMO.

Benny89

First Post
Paladin 2 sorcerer x tanks very well. High ac and shield is a strong combo. Absorb elements for elemental damages. That said the saving through bonus is always enticing.

The melee cantrips and higher spell slots and more sorecery points tend to keep your damage competitive with a comination that gets extra attack.

The only downside is the saves but the upside is that the useful spells I’m getting all come online a full 4 levels faster.

In the end I do it this way because it gets my concept up and running the fastest with the only trade off really being better saves vs more higher level spells and spell slots.

I get you, but I like +5 saves and also getting for free Hold Person and Misty Step from Vengeance Oath, same I like to have VoE for Boss where I can go full ham with 2 attacks with Smites + quicken Cantrip + Smite. Also +5 Aura + Haste + Shield Master and you laugh at all DEX saves.

I like melee cantrips, but I prefer to have extra attack with Smite and while I know melee cantrips are strong, extra attack is always extra chance to hit and not lose all of your melee damage in one turn. And Extra Attack goes well with VoE and Haste/Holy Weapon. It's also better combo for Quicken Hold -> Two attacks with Smites. Besides I can still melee cantrip if I want :). Which is also what I like about 6/14- it gives more options and more "jack of all trades" feeling to it. But I see merits in 2/18 build I will definitely try it on next character. Or Sorlock 17/3.

Benny89

First Post
The point was that all sorcerer subclasses are weak for this concept. I think divine soul ends up being the best of the bad if you will. But the difference between it and dragon or it and shadow is such a small power difference that it really is inconsequential IMO.

The point of taking sorcerer for this character is for spell slots and quicken spell. The subclasses just add a little flavor IMO.

Thank you! Divine Soul it is then. Will go nicely with Vengeance and "Divine Avenger" feeling to it :)

jgsugden

Legend
You are going to be playing this character a long time before you need to worry about 20th level. I'd forget that level's impacts and focus on what makes the next few levels fun and what is the most interesting for the PC's story. You'll be happier.

Remove ads