What quirky non-magical/minor magic items have you created for your campaign?

Arravis

First Post
What are the coolest non-magical/minor magic items you've created for your campaign? Might just be me... but I love making interesting items of little actual combat value. Just flavor, really, but I think that's something that often gets ignored. What interesting/quirky items have you made? I'd love to see what you guys have come up with over the years.

Here are just a few of the ones I've made for my Forgotten Realms campaign:

Netherese Moon Wine:
This exquisite wine is made of a secret variety of outerplanar grapes, berries and distilled moon-essence. It was bottled in the Abbey of the Moon, found on the highest peak of the Abbey Mountains, a house of worship to Selune. The monks within have produced these wines nearly since the founding of Netheril itself. The wine is an indescribable mix of sweet wine, it has earthy undertone with a heady flavor. The wine itself is colorless, but when brought before moonlight it glows with a pale radiance and acquires a stronger flavor. It is rumored to have curative properties to those that worship the lady. The bottles are made of precious amberglass; this protects the flavor since it can easily pick up the taste of a container. Each label on the bottle is lovingly crafted by a monk-artist to show scenes from the Abbey or tales of Selune. 10,000 gp per bottle.

Dethed’s Blackwine:
Blackwine, also known as Dethed’s Folly, was born of strange circumstance. Dethed was an infamous arcanist whom turned himself to a lich at the ripe old age of 25. This wine was of his own creation and seemed to be a component of his spell that turned him to undeath. The Archmage Iolaum found the recipe in Dethed’s laboratory after destroying the lich. The making of it is a closely guarded secret of the Ioulaum family that distributes these dark spirits. The wine itself is always chill, regardless of the environment it’s placed in, except when exposed to direct sunlight, which turns the flavor of the wine. Blackwine has a strong bitter taste at first but quickly mellows in subsequent swallows, reaching a subtle taste that cannot be wholly described. Its effects seem to be quite different from other wines in that it clears the mind, sharpening its focus. Many scholars and arcanists are known to abuse this drink to aid them in their work. Blackwine comes in white ceramic bottles that hide its contents from the harmful sunlight. The double circle of Iolaum’s rune is the only writing on this container. 3,000 gp per bottle.

Keltarian Scroll-Poem.
This old poem is found within a preserved scroll from the famed Keltarian (ancient human kingdom east of Calimsham) poet Sandelle (circa: -5700 DR), in exquisitely wrought silver and iron frame. 5,000 gp.
Out of the night that covers me, black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find me, unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

(The poem is Invictus by William Earnest Henley)

Flesh Bed:
This “mattress” is a construct made for those with tastes in the unusual. A Flesh Bed is composed of a core of warm and soft fleshy tissue surrounded by skin and hair. Different types of skin and hair are available upon demand. The Flesh Bed has limited movement and can be commanded by the owner to move in the simplest of fashion. Usually this is done to envelop the owner, but other more exotic, yet simple, requests may be made. 6,000 gp.

Lupinal Windchimes:
These beautiful windchimes are made from shells and bones of a Yeshen, a small aquatic lizard found on the banks of the River Oceanous within the plane of Elysium. Yeshen shells are similar to a conch shells in their shape, but their swirling colors vary from midnight blue to a golden red hue. The shells are tuned by carving holes or slits into them, as the shell turns, different notes are played. Sophisticated lupinial craftsmen carve the shells to produce a specific melody, the more notes that are played the more difficult it is to create. Yeshen bones are often tied to the shells so they ring out as the shell turns in the wind. 50 gp for a simple melody; 100 gp for a medium difficulty melody; 200 gp for a difficult melody; 800 gp for a masterwork melody windchime.

Magniloquent Cloak:
These exquisitely elegant cloaks are created by Imp tailors, led by Kri-galik, Hell’s finest master-tailor. Each cloak is a uniquely commissioned (usually by Hellish nobility or other powers) work that can take many months to create. The threads used to create the cloaks are made of a secretive blend of exotic materials that form a faintly shimmering cloth. Kri-galik’s cloth is known for its ability to hold any dye permanently, but above all, its other property is what makes it so demanded. The cloth is completely invulnerable to all types of energy and all but the most severe punishment before it tears or rips (hardness: 25, 20 hp). This ability does not transfer to the wearer, but she does gain a +1 circumstantial bonus to saves against any energy attacks. None of these abilities are magical, though the cloaks are considered masterwork and can be enchanted. Each Cloak is individually priced, but this finery begins at a minimum of 15,000 gp and can only be afforded by the elite.
Here's an image: http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads//32650-MagniloquentCloak.jpg

Simorh’s Lute:
This dress was made popular by the bard-mistress Simorh Cire, whose ballads and romantic exploits made her one of the most well known Sensates to live in Union. The dress achieved its name when a celestial lord was visiting the Morning Star feasthall and asked Simorh which musical instrument she played. The outer coat of Simorh’s Lute is crushed velvet of a deep burgundy color trimmed in light fur. The inner dress is made out of open-weave silk or satin in a variety of colors. Finishing it all is a brocade skirt with multi-colored swirl pattern. In addition to its beauty, Simorh had her dress designed with dancing in mind. The outer coat has several small metal weights sewn inside so the dress would twirl dramatically. The metal weights inside are pitched to a specific notes that clink together musically when the wearer dances allowing her to even create her own music. This gives the wearer a +1 circumstantial bonus to Perform (dancing). 150 gp.
Here's an image: http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads//32651-SimorhsLute.jpg

Fate Candles:
These candles are unique to Athkatla. They are made from either plain white wax or fabulously colored waxes and then carefully written on the outside. It is believed that when the candle is lit and the candle is expended that the requests written on it will sometimes come true. Usually it will be a pre-written prayer, wishes for luck or love or simply wealth. These candles though, are often custom made with specific desires written on them. Pre-made fate candle: 1 sp-5 sp; uniquely made candle 3 gp.

Constellation Dress:
This elegant but dramatic dress has rich black silk sides and back with a purple-black velvet insert in the front to create a striking combination of fabrics. The solid half-sleeves has a beautiful floral pattern, tri-cornered lace that falls into a point of silver-thread piping. Sewn delicately to the dress and the sleeves are 200 tiny diamonds that sparkle in a pattern of a chosen constellation. A spiral silver and black silk cord belt wraps around twice to tie in the front. 4,000 gp

Dao Bread:
This bread is made out of a luminous fungus found only within the elemental plane of earth. This fungus is mixed with flour and other ingredients, the dough formed is then sprinkled with finely ground gem-dust and baked. The resulting bread is a swirl of color (depending on the gem color used) that beautifully glows and sparkles in the dark. The flavor of this bread varies on the group of Dao that made it and the gem used. The bread is said to be delicious and hearty by those that have acquired a taste for it, something that is usually difficult for non-planars considering the ingredients (though it is in no way harmful). 5 gp a loaf.

Efreeti Wine:
This golden wine comes in an brass bottle shaped like a spired tower with an onion-shaped top with the stamp of the Grand Sultan of the City of Brass at it’s base. The brass bottle has the magical quality of keeping the wine piping hot, since if it cools off the flavor turns sour. The wine is quite sweet with an earthy mixture of many flavors that seem to change each time it is drank. Exactly how this wine is created is kept secret by the Sultan’s brewers and none have been able to replicate its unique flavor. 250 gp a bottle.

Molikroth’s Ice Orchid:
This extremely difficult to obtain orchid comes from Molikroth’s Garden in Cania on Baator. This garden is considered one of the most remarkable and life-changing sights of the outer planes. It is composed entirely of frozen bouquets of flowers and rock gardens frosted over with ice. Delicate snow and ice dew covers the many roses here but the main attraction is the ice orchid. To Baatezu scholars it is a symbol of control over change, to the Tanar’ri it’s a symbol of the death of fertility, but most are awed by its strange and amazing beauty. This orchid has long stems and leaves composed out of a rich purple-black color with white ringed, dark blue spots over its frost covered surface. The flower has a bright white core with lighting blue striping that extends to a royal blue-purple on its edges. It constantly exudes a biting cold that causes a light mist to issue from it. Ice orchids are difficult to take care of and require careful attention. If spends more then just a few minutes in below freezing temperature it begins to wither and die. This ice orchid comes in a magical glass container and plant pot that keeps the temperature within quite cold. There is only one of these items available. 20,000 gp.
Image: http://www.ralloszek.net/uploads//32649-iceorchid.jpg

Singing Ferns:
This spiky little plant is common to mountainsides all over Arborea. Sunlight causes the tiny leaves to open; though cold weather or strong winds will cause them to close into tiny spikes. The plant gets its names from the sound of the wind through its spikes that create a high-pitched haunting melody that rises and falls with the wind. During the spring pale blue flowers cover the base of each leaf. 30 gp.

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
Created an NPC dwarf from a clan that had mugs that could communicate what other mugs had in them to the users hand, essentially tasting with your hand. That way when they travelled they would know the relative whereabouts of another through the ale they last had. It was only useable by dwarves, as only their tastes could discern the subtle differences in the brews.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Pardon me...

snip snip snip steal steal steal...

....thank you.

From my own homebrew campaign, I have created a few items from whole cloth, but most have been cribbed from other sources. Of the items from whole cloth, several have been creative liquors (Hobgoblin Mash, 500-Proof, Mudwhiskey, and Black Orchid) but actual magics are below:

• Spellcloaks: These cloaks were created by a race of scarcely known beings some 900 years ago, and only a few dozen remain. They are cloaks which automatically size to the wearer, and who assume any hue the wearer wishes. Their most interesting feature are the runes lining the cape, which are understandable to any wearer. If read, the runes will create one spell effect, and then the runes will vanish. When all the spells are gone, the cloak loses all magic properties, becoming a normal, night-blue cloak.

Spellcloaks are found with sets of powers of a particular theme or utility.
    Examples include

Spell Cloak #1 – Spider Climb, Web, Foresight (all at 18th Level)
    Spell Cloak #2 – Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt, Cone of Cold (all at 9th Level)
    Spell Cloak #3 – Detect Magic, ESP, Detect Evil (all at 6th level)
    Spell Cloak #4 – Protection from Normal Missiles, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Wall of Force (all at 15th Level)
    Spell Cloak #5 – Jump, Blink, Dimension Door (all at 9th Level)
  • Siege Stone - this magic sling stone contains symbols to the gods of war and destruction engraved on it. When hand-thrown or used in a sling, the stone will cause massive damage to any stone wall it strikes, ignoring all hardness and dealing 4d4 damage to the structure.

But most of my "Custom" items are cribbed from Dragon Magazine, Third party supplements, etc. I brought the Encyclopedia Magica from TSR back in 1998 (the leatherbound edition - $100.00 for all four books), and it was the best AD&D purchase I EVER made. It's turning out to be the best 3E purchase I ever made, too! :)

Kobold Marine

First Post
Leomund's Secret Still: produces 4 liters of gin per day and can be folded up to fit in your pocket. Requires half an hour of operation to produce one liter.

an intelligent pair of Boots of Varied Tracks named Arthur: He was a rank coward and tended to run away from combat.

an enchanted phrenology caliper: It can be used to cast each of the Detect [alignment] spells once per day. It requires 1 minute to use and the subject must sit still. Besides the detected alignment, it provides a small amount of miscellaneous information about the subject. ("You have the forehead of a common criminal" or "The distance between your eyes indicates great intelligence")

MerakSpielman

First Post
Those are good items, Arravis.

Wood Pieces: In my campaign, the surface world and all large-scale plant life has beed destroyed. Since the Underdark is the only place life could survive, and since gold and minerals are plentiful down there, wooden coins have now replaced gold coins as the standard unit of currency. As a side effect of this, the sell value of a Feather Token: Tree has skyrocketed, though without live trees they can no longer be created.

WanderingMonster

First Post
Have you ever added intelligence to a minor or medium magic item?

I tried with a bag of holding. The players named it "Patches". It spoke to them and actually kept inventory of what was put in the bag. I made it a plot device for keeping track of the treasure they hauled. Patches had the ability to identify whatever was put into it. The whole thing was inspired by my inability to keep accurate records of the unidentified treasure (gems, scrolls, etc.) that they would pick up here and there. Patches would be more correctly termed a minor artifact, but certainly not unbalancing (and actually a neat thing to give a mid-level party). It'd be interesting to give Patches a high Ego score and taste for illicit jewelry. :D

Sir Whiskers

First Post
WanderingMonster said:
Have you ever added intelligence to a minor or medium magic item?

I tried with a bag of holding. The players named it "Patches". It spoke to them and actually kept inventory of what was put in the bag. I made it a plot device for keeping track of the treasure they hauled. Patches had the ability to identify whatever was put into it. The whole thing was inspired by my inability to keep accurate records of the unidentified treasure (gems, scrolls, etc.) that they would pick up here and there. Patches would be more correctly termed a minor artifact, but certainly not unbalancing (and actually a neat thing to give a mid-level party). It'd be interesting to give Patches a high Ego score and taste for illicit jewelry. :D

This is great - consider it stolen. :)

--------------------

One minor item I made (for a Fantasy Hero campaign, but it would work in d20 just as well) was a pipeweed pouch that refilled itself every day. It was a gift to one character who couldn't control his addiction to nicotine (the character, not the player).

Another time they found what they thought was a Stone of Language, that when held acted as a Tongues spell. Unknown to the players, it was actually a dragon egg that would hatch in a year of so. The "baby" would talk telepathically to its owner, but being so young, it didn't make much sense.

fusangite

First Post
I've invented quite a few magic items in my time but I'll include the silliest items from my last campaign:

Conversational Ottoman

When anyone placed their feet on the ottoman, it attacks the wearer with a Magic Jar spell cast by a 9th level sorceror. Once the ottoman has seized control of the victim, it engages in incredibly erudite, sophisticated conversation on the victim's behalf. The ottoman is a brilliant, witty conversationalist and many voluntarily allow the ottoman to possess them if they wish to make a good impression on guests.

Coffee Table Book

Based on the Seinfeld coffee table book, this book has three forms: a coffee table, a book about coffee tables and an animated coffee table which dances (but may attack at its owner's instigation).

hong

WotC's bitch
Boots of Air Stride

These nondescript boots appear no different to ordinary footgear, but for the symbol of a silver upturned swoosh on the side. The wearer of the boots of air stride gains an increase of 10 feet to their base land speed (considered an enhancement bonus) and can make great leaps, gaining a +5 competence bonus to Jump checks. Once per day on command, the boots allow their wearer to move through the air for up to an hour, as if through an air walk spell.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, air walk, longstrider, creator must have 5 ranks in the Jump skill; Price 19,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Bungled and warped Magic Items, mostly rings (And one non magic item).

Ring of invisibility that turns invisible when you put it on... but you don't.

Samson's Ring, a ring of damage transferral, for every point of damage you would otherwise take your hair grows an inch, but you take no actual damage. However if you take the ring off, or have your hair cut then you take all the stored damage... not bad if you've taken say 12 points, but if you don't know about the side effect it can get nasty.

Potion of Ressurection with either a 24 or 72 hour time limit, when the time is up you die permanently, with no chance of being raised.

Ring of Gaseous Form, okay, now how do you take it off?

A staff that is -4 to hit, but +8 damage. (Has all the inertia and momentum of a small tree...) Usable only by Wizards.

Sword that always hits, but only does one point of damage, no matter how strong the wielder.

A suit of masterworked platemail, made out of magnesium...

The Auld Grump

Remove ads