What's new with SW lately? Is it dying?

Emirikol

Adventurer
All:

Is the Star Wars game dying? I haven't heard much about it and with the release of the final movie, that will pretty much be the end of it right?

I'm interested in getting back into it, but am worried that it won't have any support.

Thoughts?

jh

Von Ether

Legend
Hmmm. don't know. On the other hand, I haven't heard much about Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Spycraft, or Dragonlance. ...

Maybe we aren't hovering in the right places to pick up the news. :)

Where could you get the idea its dying? We're getting books at the same rate as usual...and some great ones at that. Next August we even get a Star Wars Mini's Game.

Episode III won't be out until 2005, and even then, that doesn't end the game. There are many more Eras of gameplay than just the movies. :)

Davelozzi

Explorer
The boards here at EN World have a mainly D&D focus. Sure there is this d20 other forum, which is a great place to find out about new games, but discussion tends to move on to the next big thing as time goes on.

For more extended discussion of your favorite games, you might be better off looking around for a more focused forum. Check the holonet forums at SWPRGnetwork http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/, or at the WotC site. Likewise, head over to AEG for more active forums on Spycraft.

Von Ether

Legend
Davelozzi said:
For more extended discussion of your favorite games, you might be better off looking around for a more focused forum. Check the holonet forums at SWPRGnetwork http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/, or at the WotC site. Likewise, head over to AEG for more active forums on Spycraft.

My point exactly. :)

As a bit of triva, WEG went under for reasons not related to role-playing and it was the only reason that WotC was able to snatch up the licence. Until then, WEG was putting out SW stuff for ... decades and not slowing down any. And to my knowlege the Living Star Wars game is not going anywhere any time soon.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Emirikol said:
All:

Is the Star Wars game dying? I haven't heard much about it and with the release of the final movie, that will pretty much be the end of it right?

I'm interested in getting back into it, but am worried that it won't have any support.

Thoughts?
Despite no new product after the release of the Galactic Campaign Guide last year, one could easily jumped to that conclusion, but we are getting new products for 2004.

I doubt that the Star Wars game will die, whether you're a d6 gamer or a d20 gamer ... even a fan-supported GURP gamer.

Vigilance

Explorer
My guess would be that they are waiting for confirmation about the movie before releasing some things.

Why release something *now* which might need a revision after the movie?

Also, since Lucasfilm is pretty tight with control, their corporate people might be too busy gearing up for the movie to approve new texts (especially since, as I understand, George has to sign off personally on everything).

So, all in all, I would characterize this as the calm before the movie :)

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Id also disagree with von Ether that WEG's demise had nothing to do with rpgs.

They paid a LOT for the star wars license, and once interest died down a little, even a little, after the trilogy was done, they began to get into more and more financial trouble.

Not *all* related to star wars, but certainly tied in.

Keep in mind before the new trilogy interest had waned. The Marvel comic had gone to Dark Horse. Marvel had cancelled the comic because, after paying for the license, there wasnt enough money left for THEM.

As the viacom lawsuit has shown, (over the star trek license), the production of new movies GREATLY impacts the profitability of licensed materials.

Chuck

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Episode III won't be out until 2005
When did this happen?

Lucas must have seen what a great filmmaker can do (Peter Jackson) and thought "oh @#%!, I better hire a competent director and storyteller to re-edit and re-shoot my film!"

At least, we can only hope.

d20Dwarf said:
When did this happen?

Lucas must have seen what a great filmmaker can do (Peter Jackson) and thought "oh @#%!, I better hire a competent director and storyteller to re-edit and re-shoot my film!"

At least, we can only hope.

...its nothing new. Lucas and co. have been aiming for May 2005 pretty much from the beginning from what I've seen.

Remove ads