Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Suppositions and Conjecture

Anyone else note how the Ebon states that he can't enter Sigil... BEFORE he ascends the Wasting Tower? One could assume that he's already attained archfiend status (archfiends aren't allowed in Sigil, right?) or, and here's the really interesting supposition for me, he's a power.

Thanks for the quick answers Clueless. Heh, go sleep off your fun from last night. lol

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
It makes a lot of time it's hinted that the Ebon is a Baernoloth in disguise -- or at least, something on par with that level. He sure is not a mere arcanoloth, but something more powerful and more ancient...

See the battle with the Oinoloth, he had somewhat of a ninja-ultimate-power factor with him. Two archfiends attacked him and not even inflicted him a bruise... So either he's the DM's pet, à la Elminster, or he's a Baern.

He's definitely not a yugo, anyway: "Our purge of the race here at your birthplace" -- with that sentence, he made it clear that the Grey Waste is not his birthplace.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Lobo Lurker said:
Anyone else note how the Ebon states that he can't enter Sigil... BEFORE[/b] he ascends the Wasting Tower? One could assume that he's already attained archfiend status (archfiends aren't allowed in Sigil, right?) or, and here's the really interesting supposition for me, he's a power.

It's perhaps a safe assumption that Vorkannis could be considered an archfiend already, simply by virtue of his place as Overlord of Carceri/Lord of the Tower of Incarnate Pain. And archfiends can't get into Sigil in general.

I won't actually answer the speculations here since it took around 2 years in game for the PCs to find out the full answer to that. Power, archfiend, Baernaloth, something else... time shall tell.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Gez said:
See the battle with the Oinoloth, he had somewhat of a ninja-ultimate-power factor with him. Two archfiends attacked him and not even inflicted him a bruise... So either he's the DM's pet, à la Elminster, or he's a Baern.

He's gotten hurt before in the campaign, and I actually wrote stats out for him fairly early on. Further on in the campaign, Toras sucked punched him in a dead magic zone and seriously enjoyed the experience. "And yes, that was truly satisfying." - Toras's player

He's definitely not a yugo, anyway: "Our purge of the race here at your birthplace" -- with that sentence, he made it clear that the Grey Waste is not his birthplace.

Without fully answering anything, a clarification here: Our was him using the royal 'we' effectively, and 'your birthplace' was specifically referring to Khin-Oin itself, and not the Waste in general. I should have been more clear. But, that said, you can take that to perhaps presume that Khin-Oin might not be the Ebon's birthplace.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
More speculation...

Hmm, it was also implied (although, I may just be reading too much into the dialogue) that the Ebon used to be Oinoloth. Any comments about that Shemeshka? :lol:

Dakkareth

First Post
A little overt, but then, how better to cement your command than by showing your superiority in terms universally understood? :]

Good *lord* is it so one of our goals. Heck, my character's stated goal by the end of this first arc was to *shave* the Marauder. Personally.
Now THAT is an admirable aim. Just imagine the headlines in Sigil's newspapers ... :p

And of course there's no better way or better place to spend the early morning than here, reading. I should go to sleep sometime, though.

Dakkareth, what a way to begin a new year. well, the second day technically, but whatever.

Impressive

As always Shemmy, most impressive. Vorkannis is even more of a mystery now then before...

I think that the interesting thing is what Vorkannis thinks of the Altraloths as 'impure' and the (now deceased) Oinoloth as a coward. I wonder why the Ebon seems to hate the leaders of the race so much? I can understand the night hag spawned Altraloths... and I suppose that he wants to rule, outside the shadow, so killing the other leaders is how to do it... hm.

But you know me, don’t delude yourself into thinking you don’t. Or rather, perhaps I should say you knew me once in a manner, and then, thinking yourself better, abandoned me.
Ancient evils then... but then, maybe this has something more to do with the fact he definitely dealt with both of them in the past. Or maybe...
Something stirs my little chosen one, first of your kind. Something that stirs the winds of the lower planes and forces events and processes into being in its wake. Something that would destroy you if we allowed it to do so. But that is not what we wish, and not what we have planned. You are destined for much that has not come into being yet, and neither will this deviate you from your destiny.
But would the Ebon be the agent of this stiring? Or the stiring itself? Or neither, perhaps...

“… you are not welcome here Bitch… you had your chance, and I…” The Ebon snarled
Interesting. Calling the Dire Shepherd a bitch is very uncontroled... perhaps Vorkannis loosing his cool, something we hadn't really seen before now. But why? The knowledge that she might be able to control even him?

And most interesting, I thought...
“You lack passion. You lack a driving motivation behind your actions. Certainly you can claim the promotion of dispassionate evil as a goal, but I think for some it has become a blank, bland combination of words rather than actions. It’s something you claim to represent in body, spirit and deed, but it has become a mantra only. You claim to write a book after having just learnt to pen your own name.”

"You lack passion"-- It's like he's doing this just so that someone who cares about the goal is in charge (and helping himself, like any 'loth). The obsession with Pure Evil is reminiscent of the Baern, but the means are more direct, it seems like, than most Baern would be. Perhaps he's a Baern who's not demented? He doesn't seem to care about law or chaos.

Maybe not though. I'm beginning to doubt my earlier conclusions...

Remove ads