Battletech/Mechwarrior PbP: "Days of the Jackal" [closed]

Douane

First Post
I've been thinking for some time now about running a Battletech / Mechwarrior PbP, the iconic game of big robots (though ripped off from Robotech), on these boards.

Before I get too excited, though ;), I wanted to test if there's any interest in such a game at all.

The system used would be the 2nd Edition of Mechwarrior, subject to some houserules that came up over the years we played this. The important/needed parts of the rules will be posted here, so no one actually needs the MW RPG to play. (See posts #5, 6 and 7 below. If there are any questions, just ask away. :) )

This will NOT be d20!

For those familiar with the setting, my preference runs to the "classic" 3025 era, but I know that this phase ain't really popular anymore. So nothing is set in stone here as I'm rather flexible concerning this and would like to hear your preferences (if you have any).

As for my "qualifications", I've been playing BT / MW for 16 years now and run a RL campaign that lasts for over 11 years.

So, anyone interested? :)

Folkert

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
Still interested. An Inner Sphere game allows for a lot more flexibility. Any initial ideas like merc or which house we would be affiliated with?

Festy_Dog

First Post
Ahem: WOOT!

Count me in without a doubt! I don't care about the time period or who our characters are tied to, but I'm much relieved to be Inner Sphere, this way the characters can have a lot more... character... I believe. :D

Douane, are the rules you're using different from the ones Jemal intended to use? I'm hoping to just recycle my other character (with a few obvious changes) because it took a fair bit of time to create.

Douane

First Post
Urbanmech said:
Still interested. An Inner Sphere game allows for a lot more flexibility. Any initial ideas like merc or which house we would be affiliated with?

Urbanmech,

well, no. ;)

Actually, I do have some ideas but I don't want to force them upon anyone.

Another reason why I like the 3025 era; all the factions are still somewhat viable. (Unlike 3050+ where they are often divided into those who fight the Clans and ... others.)

I also do think that the IS is a bit more playable than the Clans; and certainly far less alien.

Merc play generally seems to be the standard assumption of MW, but I've played many a good game with house troops, so it certainly far from a universal truth.

Mercs, however, are more flexible and likely to get around.

So, no final decision yet. :)

Folkert

Douane

First Post
Festy_Dog said:
Ahem: WOOT!

Count me in without a doubt! I don't care about the time period or who our characters are tied to, but I'm much relieved to be Inner Sphere, this way the characters can have a lot more... character... I believe. :D

Douane, are the rules you're using different from the ones Jemal intended to use? I'm hoping to just recycle my other character (with a few obvious changes) because it took a fair bit of time to create.

Festy,

good to see you. (Of course I would have mailed you anyway. :) )

Yes, the system is the same. (As I orginally provided those rules to Jemal.)

However, there are now a few more options to consider if we go for IS characters.

Mainly, you can now select one of these:

A1 30 points attributes, 20 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 1 point advantages

A2 30 points attributes, 20 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 2 point advantages

A3 30 points attributes, 16 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 1 point advantages

A4 30 points attributes, 16 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 3 point advantages

A5 30 points attributes, 12 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 2 point advantages

A6 30 points attributes, 12 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 3 point advantages

B1 27 points attributes, 24 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 1 point advantages

B2 27 points attributes, 24 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 2 point advantages

B3 27 points attributes, 16 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 1 point advantages

B4 27 points attributes, 16 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 4 point advantages

B5 27 points attributes, 12 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 2 point advantages

B6 27 points attributes, 12 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 4 point advantages

C1 24 points attributes, 24 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 1 point advantages

C2 24 points attributes, 24 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 3 point advantages

C3 24 points attributes, 20 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 1 point advantages

C4 24 points attributes, 20 points skills, Light Mech (20-35), 4 point advantages

C5 24 points attributes, 12 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 3 point advantages

C6 24 points attributes, 12 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 4 point advantages

D1 21 points attributes, 24 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 2 point advantages

D2 21 points attributes, 24 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 3 point advantages

D3 21 points attributes, 20 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 2 point advantages

D4 21 points attributes, 20 points skills, Medium Mech (40-55), 4 point advantages

D5 21 points attributes, 16 points skills, Assault Mech (80-100), 3 point advantages

D6 21 points attributes, 16 points skills, Heavy Mech (60-75), 4 point advantages

Just find the combination you like and apply it. :D

Main reason for the changes:
1. PCs have no longer a fixed genotype (ie. Clan Mechwarrior)
2. Possession of a mech now makes a difference. (The good side to this: It is your own mech; unlike the Clans no superior can just take because he likes it better [and no fights over who uses which mech].)

So the results are considerable more variable.

Folkert

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Explanation of the 4 categories:

1. Attributes:
This determines the number of points that can be assigned to the initial attributes.

Every PC is defined by five attributes ranging normally from 1 to 6, with 3 being the average. (Some special situations may allow for attributes exceeding this maximum, however.) The five attributes are:

Build (BLD) - strength, stamina and the ability to withstand adverse conditions and wounds

Reflexes (REF) - dexterity, coordination and overall agility

Intuition (INT) - perception, instinct and the ability to think under pressure

Learning (LRN) - self-discipline, ability to understand complex concepts and learning speed

Charisma (CHA) - physical appearance, personal magnetism and strength of presence

Build, Reflexes, Learn and Charisma have a final value equal to the number of points assigned to them during creation. Intuition, however, has final value of half (round down) the attribute points assigned to it.

These attributes determine four characteristics which are needed to determine the final skill targets. Each is determined by subtracting two attribute from a base of 18.

Athletic (18-BLD-REF)
Physical (18-REF-INT)
Mental (18-INT-LRN)
Social (18-INT-CHA)

The base skill target will be calculated by subtracting the skill level from the appropriate characteristic for the skill.

Example 1:

Yuri, with Build of 6 and Reflexes of 5 has an Athletics characteristic of 7+

Athletic ( 7+) (18-BLD-REF)

2. Skills
This determines the number of points that can be assigned to the initial skills. No starting character can buy a skill at a higher level than his LRN.

It costs one point to buy a skill level of 1. Further skill levels my be purchased at a skill-point cost equal to the new level, ie. an additional 2 skill-points for skill level 2 and another 3 skill-points for skill level 3, bringing the total to 6 skill-points for a skill of level 3.

List of skills: (defining characteristic for each skill in brackets)

Acrobatics (Athl.)
Administration (Ment.)
Alternate Identity (Ment.)
Appraisal (Ment.)
Archery (Athl.)
Blade (Athl.)
Bureaucracy (Soc.)
Career Skills (divided into subskills) (Ment.)
Climbing (Athl.)
Communications (divided into subskills) (Ment.)
Computer (Ment.)
Cryptography (Ment.)
Demolitions (Ment.)
Disguise (Soc.)
Drive (Phys.)
Enginnering (Ment.)
Escape Artist (Phys.)
Forgery (Ment.)
Gambling (Ment.)
Gunnery (divided into subskills) (Phys.)
Impersonation (Soc.)
Interrogation (Soc.)
Jump pack (Athl.)
Leadership (Soc.)
Medtech (Ment.)
Navigation (Ment.)
Negotiation (also used for clan bidding) (Soc.)
Perception (Ment.)
Piloting (divided into subskills) (Phys.)
Protocol (Soc.)
Quickdraw (Phys.)
Running (Athl.)
Scrounge (Soc.)
Security Systems (Ment.)
Seduction (Soc.)
Small Arms (Phys.)
Special Interests (divided into subskills) (Ment.)
Stealth (Phys.)
Strategy (Ment.)
Streetwise (Soc.)
Support Weapons (Phys.)
Survival (Ment.)
Swimming (Athl.)
Tactics (used to determine initiative together with REF) (Ment.)
Technician (divided into subskills) (Ment.)
Throwing Weapons (Phys.)
Tinker (Ment.)
Tracking (Ment.)
Training (Soc.)
Unarmed Combat (Athl.)

The base skill target will be calculated by subtracting the skill level from the appropriate characteristic for the skill.

Different degrees of success and skill contests will be governed by a system of “margin of success”, for example a clan bidding might be decided by a roll versus each participants base skill target in negotiation. The one with the biggest margin obviously wins. J This system also works to determine degrees of success in other taks, ie. in a roll vs. Special interest: Clan traditions a higher margin might also give access to more obscure knowledge.

Example 2:

Yuri, with Build of 6 and Reflexes of 5 has an Athletics characteristic of 7+

Athletic ( 7+) (18-BLD-REF)

He also has an Unarmed Combat skill level of 1.

By subtracting this from the Athletics characteristic of 7+ we gain a base skill target of 6+ in Unarmed Combat, ie. barring any other special modifiers, he will hit an opponent with a punch by rolling 6+ on 2d6.

Special note for Mechwarriors: The base skill target for Gunnery/Mech and Piloting/mech should be directly transferred into the board game. So, if Yuri has base skill target of 4+ for Gunnery/Mech, this translates into a Gunnery skill of 4 in the board game!

SPECIAL: Skill point packages

"Academy package":

The PC has graduated from one of the military academies throughout the Inner Sphere.

This template provides an effective 25% reduction on skill point costs, at the price of limiting the choice of skills.

It gives you two skill at level 3, two skills at level 2, two skills at level 1 for the total cost of 15 skill points.

Mandatory skills to take:
Gunnery/mech
Piloting/mech
Small Arms
Medtech

Plus choose two from the following list:
Bureaucracy
Blade
Leadership
Support Weapons
Survival
Technician/Mech
Unarmed Combat

"Mechwarrior Package" (for those with less formalized training)

15 points worth of skill points at the cost of 13 skill points.

Gunnery/mech 2
Piloting/mech 2
Small Arms 2
Unarmed Combat 2
Leadership 1
Survival 1
Technician/Mech 1

3. Advantages
Special abilities not covered by other points.

Examples (Cost):
Ambidexterous (1)
Combat Sense (2)
Contact (1-3)
Exceptional Attribute (2)
Extra Edge (1 per)(Edge provides re-rolls; everyone starts with Edge:1)
Land Grant (1)
Natural Apitude (2 non-combat skill; 3 combat skill) (Applied to one skill of choice, the PC may roll now 3d6 and take the best two)
Reputation 1
Sixth Sense (2)
Title (1-3)
Toughness (2)
Wealth (1-3)
Well-connected (1-3)
Well-equipped (1-3)

4. ‘Mech
Determines the weight of the ‘mech you personally own.

View the available mechs online here.
(Thanks to the guys from Chaosmarch.com!)

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
ADVANTAGES

Ambidextrous (1): The PC can use both hands equally well. (This does not give him extra attacks.)

Combat Sense (2): The PC has a set of fighting instincts that usually keep him one step ahead of his opponents. He gains an extra +2 Initiative in personal combat or single mech combat. (The bonus of the tactics skill to initiative only applies in mech combat!)

Contact (1-3): This advantage provides the PC with an acquaintance or ally who can supply information or aid.
1-point contact: No power and limited personal influence (for example, a warrior of a friendly clan, merchant or bartender)
2-point contact: small measure of power and influence in a limited area (f. e., renowned or highly-placed clan officer, minor nobles or guild leaders)
3-point contact: considerable power and influence (f. e., Bloodname House Keeper, planetary rulers or aides to house lords)

Exceptional Attribute (2): A character with this advantage may buy one of his attributes 1 point higher than normal, allowing a PC to have an attribute value of 7.

Extra Edge (1 per): Edge determines the number of re-rolls the PC has per adventure.

Land Grant (1): This advantage grants a PC with a noble title land commensurate with his station. (Knight: 10 sq. km, Baronet: 500 sq. km, Baron: 1,000 sq. km)

Natural Apitude (2 non-combat/3 combat): The PC has a “knack” for one skill. (The PC may roll now 3d6 and take the best two on a skill check.)

Reputation (1): The PC is known far and wide for something that sets him apart from others in some way. He receives a -1 modifier on negotiation, seduction and streetwise rolls.

Sixth Sense (2): The PC has the ability to sense impending attacks, allowing him to react in a timely manner. He might also sense other approaching dangers, though he usually only receives a very general warning about them.

Title (1-3): This advantage gives the PC a noble title. This title bestows only social status, unless land grant is also taken. The PC can also be heir to a title (not Knight though) for 1 point less.
1 point: Knight
2 point: Baronet
3 point: Baron

Toughness (2): The PC has a exceptional resistance to physical abuse. He makes Consciousness Rolls (both in personal combat and in Mech combat) with 3d6, using the best two. It might also help him withstand interrogation and such.

Wealth (1-3): A PC starts the game with more initial assets than normal (500 Cb).
1 point: 5,000 Cb
2 point: 50,000 Cb
3 point: 500,000 Cb

Well-connected (1-3): The PC possesses a large number of friends, acquaintances and foes and may try to use them as temporary contacts. The PC has a number of attempts (equal to the number of points spent on the advantage) to locate appropriate contacts per adventure. Area of influence:
1 point: a single important world or small state
2 point: large state / successor house
3 point: Inner Sphere

Well-equipped (1-3): A PC with this advantage starts the game with more and better equipment than normal (200 Cb).
1 point: 1,000 Cb
2 point: 5,000 Cb
3 point: 25,000 Cb

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Shalimar,

no definite decisision yet. I think merc would be generally preferable to house units, but as I said i had good campaigns with house units, too.

Frankly, I don't want to force my choice upon the players. (Heck, I've been a "Davion sympathizer" since I began playing, but I understand they are not exactly popular these days [or anytime in the past, for that matter]).

While I realize this bit of "indecisiveness" can be very off-putting to potential players, I don't want to chase off anyone because of a "I would never play that ..." factor, simply because we don't seem to have that many potential players here.

(And if we were to decide upon 3025, there aren't even any ComGuards yet.) :)

Everyone,

But Shalimar brings up a good point: What are you preferences?

My own are, as indicated above, 3025 (simply because it is a more challenging (and satisfying in my opinion) era and a merc unit (either established or new).

So, what about you?

Folkert

Remove ads