Curtains #1 - A Crossing of Paths

Rybaer

First Post
The Hightower Convention Center Ballroom, Downtown, Coast City
April 16
21:20

Leon, Steven's driver, agrees to fetch the bag and bring it up the appointed location. Steven continues to feign a conversation while wandering over to the southeast corner of the room. This is off to the side of the stage near the kitchen door.

The two guys in armor have been watching this area, but one just walked off to accost someone behind the curtain dividers and his comrade is watching his back.

Steven takes a quick look around and then does his act - turning insubstantial and acting as though he was pulled through the wall. He finds himself in an empty service hallway. Through the door at one end, he finds himself back in a public area outside the ballroom. There are several hotel staff and police officers running around the area. The four sets of double doors that lead into the ballroom have all been sealed from this side with metal, much like the kitchen door had been from the ballroom side.

A hotel employee hurries over to Steven. "I'm sorry, sir, but you're going to have to get out of this area. There's some sort of situation going on in the ballroom and the cops want everyone out. If you have companions in there, you'll have to wait downstairs in the lounge until they give us other instructions."

Noting the SE Stairway sign just a short way down the hall, Steven nods to the man and heads for the stairs.

The heavily armored guy watches Jorgi intently as he slowly makes his way out from behind the divider. Jorgi notices that the other armored guy is not too far off. Through the video feed, he see the Pestilence guy still on stage - scowling through his rags - and the centipede woman patrolling the opposite side of the room.

"Jackareyouallright?" Jorgi says through Jack's headset.

"Yeah, doing alright," comes the reply. "Just trying to figure out where I'm going to come up with fifty grand if these guys are serious. Don't really have that kind of cash lying around. You got any cool powers that could knock all of em out at once?"

Jorgi is about to reply when, out of the corner of his eye, he notices a tuxedo-clad man with a cell phone disappear through one of the ballroom walls not too far from the kitchen. It happens so fast, he isn't entirely sure of what he saw. It does bring him a little hope, however, that there may be metahumans among the guests that could rise up against the hostage takers...if only there was a way to coordinate their efforts.

None of the bad guys seem to have noticed the disappearance of the man.

Out from behind the screen, he takes a look around the room. He only spots one of the hotel wait staff (not the girl), back in one of the corners. At this point in the presentation, most of the tables were cleared and the waitstaff had been keeping themselves scarce until after the speakers.

SE Stairwell - Parking level 1, Hightower Convention Center
April 16
21:21

Moving quickly and quietly, Lawrence and Thomas make it to the stairwell without the cops noticing. (Move Silent - Thomas 15+3=18, Lawrence 15+12=27) Through a heavy metal door, they find themselves surrounded by spiraling concrete and metal.

Standing on the landing, not four feet away, is a short guy in what appears to be a driver's uniform. He's holding a fancy, black duffel style bag in one hand and his cap in the other.

"Good evening," he says with a nod of his head.

Hurried footsteps echo through the stairwell from above, and a tuxedo-clad middle aged gentleman appears at the landing directly above them. (Cue Dr. Faturius)

Faturius, hurrying down the stairs, spots his driver standing in mixed company. One is an older teen in somewhat scraggly condition. The other is a heavily muscled man. Faturius notes traces of blood on the latter's clothing as well as what might be a bullet hole in the front of his shirt. (Steven's Spot 18+2=20; Lawrence's Sleight of Hand for concealed guns 11+11=22)

Radiant

First Post
April 16
21:20

In a moment of isnspiration Jorgi releases his hold on the TV cameras. Maybe people from outside can use the information to plan a better attack. He makes sure that none show him though.
"Me?Powers?I'mnobigfighteryouknow."
Suddenly he has an idea. Jack has a point there just might be a way to take them all out. His mind races through the fire surpress system cheking if he can access single parts of it.

If there is an autameted fire surpress system and if he can access single parts of it:
Suddenly water showers over all of the mutants, hopefully not hitting too many of the guests. He activates enough to draw an uniterupted wall of water that connects all the mutants.

Rybaer

First Post
Radiant said:
If there is an autameted fire surpress system and if he can access single parts of it:
Suddenly water showers over all of the mutants, hopefully not hitting too many of the guests. He activates enough to draw an uniterupted wall of water that connects all the mutants.

(ooc - You'll be able to tap into the fire system, though the sprinklers are linked. Given time, say about a minute, you can individually disable sections of the sprinklers. Because the ceiling is pretty high, each head will have a wide spray. Now, the two metal-clad guys are in the same corner of the room you are, and there aren't other guests over here. From here to the stage is also pretty clear, so you might be able to include Pestilence. The centipede woman, however, is too far away and too close to other people to include.)

Radiant

First Post
Rybaer said:
(ooc - You'll be able to tap into the fire system, though the sprinklers are linked. Given time, say about a minute, you can individually disable sections of the sprinklers. Because the ceiling is pretty high, each head will have a wide spray. Now, the two metal-clad guys are in the same corner of the room you are, and there aren't other guests over here. From here to the stage is also pretty clear, so you might be able to include Pestilence. The centipede woman, however, is too far away and too close to other people to include.)

Jorgi will settle this those three then. It doesn't matter if he needs a minute, Pestilence looks quite comfortable up there, he will even give him access to the mic again so he can feel good talking. The other are coming form him anyiway. If they crab him before he can finish it will just be all the worse for them.
He even takes a carefull step towards the advanicng mutant.
"HeyI'mnotgoingtomaketrouble."
His hands are still slightly in the air and he looks suitably affraid. He doesn't even have to fake that.

Velmont

First Post
April 16

"Well, your more stealthy than you looks like." say Lawrence to Thomas.

Seeing the man in toxedo walking down the stairwell, he take a quick look at him. "Sir, I suggest you to get out of the building, it may become unsafe to stay here..."

Mimic

First Post
April 16

Velmont said:
"Well, your more stealthy than you looks like." say Lawrence to Thomas.

Tell me about it, the sarge said that subtle was never a option for me.

Rybaer said:
Hurried footsteps echo through the stairwell from above, and a tuxedo-clad middle aged gentleman appears at the landing directly above them.

Man, the cops in this city really need a refresher course on maintaining a crime scene blockade, who the hell are you two anyways? Thomas says eyeing the two new people.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
April 16

Lawrence said:
Seeing the man in toxedo walking down the stairwell, he take a quick look at him. "Sir, I suggest you to get out of the building, it may become unsafe to stay here..."

Thomas said:
Man, the cops in this city really need a refresher course on maintaining a crime scene blockade, who the hell are you two anyways? Thomas says eyeing the two new people.

“I am aware of how unsafe it has become, and I’m not certain I would go up there if I were you,” Steven replied. “In fact, someone or something just pulled be through a wall from the ballroom. My name is Dr. Steven Faturius, and this man here is my driver. I called him in hopes that perhaps I could find someone to help the people upstairs.”

Steven noticed the bullet hole in the one man’s shirt and asked, “Are one of you hurt? Do you need medical attention? If not, I’ll be on my way. I have the number of someone I can contact that might be able to help . . . Professor Fate, perhaps you’ve heard of him? He may be able to help and three are better than two. I just need some privacy to make the call.”

With that said, Steven took the briefcase from Leon, his driver, and motioned him back to the limo (with his thanks) and prepared to enter the back of the limo himself.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
April 16

Dr. Faturius said:
“Are one of you hurt? Do you need medical attention? If not, I’ll be on my way. I have the number of someone I can contact that might be able to help . . . Professor Fate, perhaps you’ve heard of him? He may be able to help and three are better than two. I just need some privacy to make the call.”

"Wait for another one? If he can reach us fast, we could wait, but with all the police around, he may have difficulty to enter the building. And the more time we wait, the less those hostage have."

Mimic

First Post
April 16

Keia said:
Steven noticed the bullet hole in the one man’s shirt and asked, “Are one of you hurt? Do you need medical attention? If not, I’ll be on my way. I have the number of someone I can contact that might be able to help . . . Professor Fate, perhaps you’ve heard of him? He may be able to help and three are better than two.

No, I'm good and there is always strength in numbers but I would be careful going into the garage, there are cops and they could take you for one of the bad guys.

Velmont said:
"Wait for another one? If he can reach us fast, we could wait, but with all the police around, he may have difficulty to enter the building. And the more time we wait, the less those hostage have."

Kid's right, we can stay here for a few minutes but then we have to move.

Rybaer

First Post
April 16

Jorgi plays innocent bystander convincingly - they apparently didn't get close enough to him to notice his strange eyes or electric aura. He takes a seat near the stage and mentally plugs into the hotel's fire suppression system. He first isolates the fire control for the ballroom, then manually disables the nozzles he doesn't want to trigger. It's simple, but slightly tedious work.

He does a quick double-check of his work. Satisfied, he mentally triggers the fire alarm system. A loud, droning buzz erupts in the room and throughout the entire convention center. Simultaneously, water spigots deploy from the ceiling and create a shower of water along the wall by the kitchen and cutting across to the stage.

As best as he can tell, the three targets are getting wet and no innocents are in the spray. They look shocked and annoyed.

April 16

Faturius takes his bag after slowing only slightly to speak with the Lawrence and Thomas. The driver seems a little surprised, but quickly falls in behind the doctor.

Lawrence and Thomas are likely a little perplexed by the man's behavior, but the idea of having another along does have its appeal. Neither has heard of Professor Fate, though from inference it sounds as though he may be a metahuman.

Just as Faturius makes it to the limo, the building's fire alarm goes off. The loud, droning buzz resonates almost painfully in the concrete parking structure.

Remove ads