I heard that there is a "fix" to Time Stop...

Arravis

First Post
I'm not sure where it's at, but I heard that there was an errata to Time Stop that stopped you from casting Fireballs and such. Does anyone know where it's at and post a link to it please? I have checked the official WoTC errata sheet, it's not in there.

Crothian

First Post
First I've heard of anything like that. I'm missing Dragon #293 so maybe it's in there. Or perhaps it was from the Sage who makes all sorts of ruling but only e-mails it to one poersonand the people at lage have a hard time benefiting from his rulings. Not that we take them lieing down and don't argue the heck out of them. :D

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The spell description seems to be an older version, partially revised to "fix" such things; it's hard to say. It's self-contradictory.

nwn_deadman

First Post
The Living City campaign world has clarifications that include Time Stop.

No Casting spells like summon monster or fireball or any other attack spells.

Only spells that are personal or touch (to yourself) can be cast.

This is from memory, so for a hard copy go to the RPGA website.

This is where the rules for D&D are tested.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Here's the ruling that LC made for Time Stop

Time Stop has some unclear aspects. The spell will be handled in the following manner:

1. Any spell that damages any target outside the effect of the time stop cannot be cast during a time stop. Ex: A wizard could not cast time stop, then cast fireball, cone of cold, and chain lightning, and have the spells affect his enemy once the spell ends. However, he could cast time stop, then place protective or healing magics on himself, or targets other than himself.

2. Haste will not stack 'inside' the time stop. Being hasted is a similar spell-effect to time stop so the more powerful spell overrides the lower level spell. This means that the d4+1 of rounds of action within a time stop do not grant them the extra partial action each round, as with normal hasted actions.

Ketjak

Malicious GM
LC != official

Caliban said:
Here's the ruling that LC made for Time Stop

It's important to note that is not an official ruling by the Sage. The Living Campaign people are a different organization entirely, I believe, and can set limits different from official rulings.

I think.

- Ketjak

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I wonder if they would allow the traditional casting of delayed blast fireball spells, with delays of 5r, 4r, 3r, 2r, O look, Mr Timestop has ended. Boomity Boom.

Just LC? I've read the PH, and I've only found one thing confusing - what happens if you cast an instantaneous attack spell that requires an attack roll? For instance, if you fire a Disintegrate spell, does it automatically hit (your victim can't dodge, right?).

When it comes to attack spells, they are all "delayed" for the duration of the time stop, then all go off when Time Stop ends. So the victims still get their Reflex saves (but they'll sure be unhappy about all those Cones of Cold going off at the same time!)

If you cast some other spell, their duration is extended by the duration of the Time Stop.

If you cast Haste, you could easily house rule that it doesn't take effect until Time Stop ends. But if you cast Haste before you cast Time Stop, then Time Stop's duration counts against Haste (but you still get 1.5 times more actions).

Matthias

Explorer
The limit on damaging spells with Time Stop seems arbitrary to me (though it makes perfect sense in terms of game balance).

From an in-game perspective, why wouldn't Time Stop also inhibit beneficial spells that 'reach' outside of yourself when it is in effect?

Magus_Jerel

First Post
This spell - is one of the most difficult spells to adjucate in the game - possibly only short of the likes of wish, limited wish and miracle.

The spell seems to require a fairly advanced understanding of the theory of relativity to understand just how it works - and with the given "weave" mechanic presented by the FR campaign setting - I have been able to explain how it works before.

In short - you can only do three things while under the infleuence of this spell - move, send something out of the barrier, or bring something within the barrier. You cannot force the static barrier which generates this spell against any other barrier or creature. Attempting to do so is much like toucning a wall of force.

Picking up an object would be "extending" the barrier around that object, while firing an arrow would be reducing the barrier - allowing the arrow to "escape" it and enter the apparent suspended animation of the world around you.

As all magic uses the weave, you could attempt to cast a spell, but the effect would have to manifest at "normal" speed - not the speed at which you are at. Thus, ALL spells you cast while under time stop come into effect only at the end of the time stop's "apparent" duration.

Objects, such as fires or gases can still affect you if you attempt to move thru them - the field will allow them to enter wether or not you intend for the field to do so.

Spells working on your person before the spell comes into effect - like items on you - are accelerated with you, but have their durations affected according to the apparent time - just as your lifespan is "shortened" by a few seconds.

Thus - if you have a haste spell functioning on your person and THEN cast Time Stop, the haste spell is in effect and the energy expended at the rate of apparent time. If you attempt to cast haste AFTER the time stop is in effect, the spell cannot come into effect until the time stop's duration ends as the "weave" is still at normal speed.

Even casting another time stop while under a previous casting bears this restriction, and the duration of the second time stop cannot begin until the first one ends - although others will be unable to see that more than one spell is being used.

Last edited:

Remove ads