Cleave and Great Cleave Question

3d6

Explorer
CLEAVE [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Power Attack.
Benefit: If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), you get an immediate, extra melee attack against another creature within reach. You cannot take a 5-foot step before making this extra attack. The extra attack is with the same weapon and at the same bonus as the attack that dropped the previous creature. You can use this ability once per round.
Special: A fighter may select Cleave as one of his fighter bonus feats.
GREAT CLEAVE [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Cleave, Power Attack, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: This feat works like Cleave, except that there is no limit to the number of times you can use it per round.
Special: A fighter may select Great Cleave as one of his fighter bonus feats.
I was looking at Great Cleave tonight, and I noticed something. Great Cleave doesn't remove the uses-per-round limitation from Cleave, which is what I'd always thought it did. It is a feat identical to Cleave excepting that you can use it any number of times per round. Thus, a character with both Cleave and Great Cleave who drops an opponent gets two immediate extra melee attacks -- one from the Cleave feat and one from the Great Cleave feat. Does anyone out there play these feats that way? My group never has. Also, is there anything in the PHB that rules this out? There doesn't seem to be in the SRD, but the SRD excludes quite a few helpful clarifications and examples.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
3d6 said:
Thus, a character with both Cleave and Great Cleave who drops an opponent gets two immediate extra melee attacks -- one from the Cleave feat and one from the Great Cleave feat.

You're absolutely right. But they're both required to be immediate, so as soon as you take one, the other is past its use-by date, and is lost.

-Hyp.

hong

WotC's bitch
Hypersmurf said:
You're absolutely right. But they're both required to be immediate, so as soon as you take one, the other is past its use-by date, and is lost.

-Hyp.
Hah! I said the same thing, but with fewer words. I WIN.

Christian

Explorer
Yeah, but (a) he explained why he doesn't allow it, and (b) he got that clever reference to the 'use-by date' into his post. What a genius!

"Eeww! My Cleave is sour! ... Oh, no wonder-it's way past the use-by date!"

apsuman

First Post
Christian said:
Yeah, but (a) he explained why he doesn't allow it, and (b) he got that clever reference to the 'use-by date' into his post. What a genius!

"Eeww! My Cleave is sour! ... Oh, no wonder-it's way past the use-by date!"

Yeah, I just found out about the use by date on cleaves. I noticed the date is printed on the bottom.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
Are you sure? I can't remember off hand if there is a rule against making two (or more) simultanious attacks with the same weapon, if multiple conditions have been met that each allow an instantanous attack. (deliberately avoiding "common sense" here)

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
Are you sure? I can't remember off hand if there is a rule against making two (or more) simultanious attacks with the same weapon, if multiple conditions have been met that each allow an instantanous attack. (deliberately avoiding "common sense" here)

No.

Zimri

First Post
We use great cleave in the following manner: If you keep dropping stuff you keep swinging as long as there are foes you can reach without moving.

Darklone

Zimri said:
We use great cleave in the following manner: If you keep dropping stuff you keep swinging as long as there are foes you can reach without moving.
Interesting "interpretation", any relations to this thread ;)?

Remove ads