PDA suggestions

Tsyr

Explorer
Ok, it's been a few years since I got my Palm VII... In the mind to upgrade soonish.

I'm not exactly on a *tight* budget, but I can't afford top of the line or anything. So don't suggest the uber-PDA-of-your-dreams.

I'd *prefer* to get a windows CE type, as I would think that would make some of what I want to do easier, but...

What I use my existing PDA for:

Jotting down quick notes in class that don't warent dragging out my laptop

As a poormans e-book reader, for things like the SRD, project guetenburg books, BAEN e-books, etc. PDF-reading ability would be a plus here, but not strictly required I suppose. Same with HTML reading ability.

An electronic character sheet for gaming session.

A dice-roller.

Occasionaly playing games while I'm idle and need a diversion.

Now, yes, technicly, I can do all of this with my current PDA. But it's getting harder to find software for an old version of PalmOS, its got a pretty small memory, takes forever to load a book, requires converting almost anything to a palm-specific format before I load it, etc. Besides, the screen is getting a bit faded/blurry/something or other, and honestly I'm not sure how much longer it's got.

Online connectability isn't a huge issue for me right now.

Mercule

Adventurer
Interesting. I can get discounts on Axioms through my employer, but I found them lacking compared to the iPAQ. Of course, it was the iPAQ 2215 that caught my eye. Compat Flash and SD -- cool. Plus, the battery life isn't as good on the Dell.

The HP h1945 costs $280.

The Dell Axiom X30 costs $199.

Between the two, the Axiom is probably the better buy for what you just listed off. BTW, I pulled the prices from HP.com and Dell.com.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would recommend the Palm Tungsten T3 - I have one at the moment and it is most excellent. I do all the things you mention on it, and I use a spreadsheet (docs to go) to handle my character sheets - recalculating when attributes change is a must nowadays!

No good if you want to stay with wince/ppc, but IMO Palm beats wince hands down for everything I've ever wanted to do.

Cheers

pensiv

Explorer
I just got a Treo 600. It's very expensive and does a lot more than you outlined (internet, phone, mp3s, etc.), but I'm loving it and I feel it was worth the money to me.

Remove ads