• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDA suggestions

Tsyr

Explorer
Ok, it's been a few years since I got my Palm VII... In the mind to upgrade soonish.

I'm not exactly on a *tight* budget, but I can't afford top of the line or anything. So don't suggest the uber-PDA-of-your-dreams.

I'd *prefer* to get a windows CE type, as I would think that would make some of what I want to do easier, but...

What I use my existing PDA for:

Jotting down quick notes in class that don't warent dragging out my laptop

As a poormans e-book reader, for things like the SRD, project guetenburg books, BAEN e-books, etc. PDF-reading ability would be a plus here, but not strictly required I suppose. Same with HTML reading ability.

An electronic character sheet for gaming session.

A dice-roller.

Occasionaly playing games while I'm idle and need a diversion.

Now, yes, technicly, I can do all of this with my current PDA. But it's getting harder to find software for an old version of PalmOS, its got a pretty small memory, takes forever to load a book, requires converting almost anything to a palm-specific format before I load it, etc. Besides, the screen is getting a bit faded/blurry/something or other, and honestly I'm not sure how much longer it's got.

Online connectability isn't a huge issue for me right now.

Mercule

Adventurer
Interesting. I can get discounts on Axioms through my employer, but I found them lacking compared to the iPAQ. Of course, it was the iPAQ 2215 that caught my eye. Compat Flash and SD -- cool. Plus, the battery life isn't as good on the Dell.

The HP h1945 costs $280.

The Dell Axiom X30 costs $199.

Between the two, the Axiom is probably the better buy for what you just listed off. BTW, I pulled the prices from HP.com and Dell.com.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would recommend the Palm Tungsten T3 - I have one at the moment and it is most excellent. I do all the things you mention on it, and I use a spreadsheet (docs to go) to handle my character sheets - recalculating when attributes change is a must nowadays!

No good if you want to stay with wince/ppc, but IMO Palm beats wince hands down for everything I've ever wanted to do.

Cheers

pensiv

Explorer
I just got a Treo 600. It's very expensive and does a lot more than you outlined (internet, phone, mp3s, etc.), but I'm loving it and I feel it was worth the money to me.

Remove ads