Ties in opposed rolls

iwatt

First Post
Gaiden said:
Do ties in opposed rolls go to the aggressor or the defender?

never seen an official ruling on this. I just have it benefit the Aggersor, based on the half-assed premise that the Defender is setting the DC for the aggresor roll.

TOWER

First Post
Ties go to the one with the highest key stat. For example, if there is a tie in an opposed Strength check then the guy with the highest Strength score wins. If both guys have the same Strength score then just do a roll off or flip a coin.

drunkmoogle

First Post
SRD said:
Opposed Checks
An opposed check is a check whose success or failure is determined by comparing the check result to another character’s check result. In an opposed check, the higher result succeeds, while the lower result fails. In case of a tie, the higher skill modifier wins. If these scores are the same, roll again to break the tie.

There's the answer wrapped in a text box with a ribbon and greeting card.

Gaiden

Explorer
So for bullrushes, disarms, grapples, etc. - ties all go to the one with the higher appropriate stat (I presume Str)? What about a disarm involving weapon finesse (aggressor or defender - doesn't really matter)? Intuition says just use dex instead, but I want to be clear about the RAW.

More importantly, is this entirely fair? It gives a double benefit. Not only is the roll itself going to be modified a greater amount by a higher stat, meaning the actual roll can be lower, but now he also gets the tie.

Thanee

First Post
I just noticed the change from 3.0 to 3.5, it's not only the key ability score anymore, but the higher skill modifier (or whatever is being used)!

With Weapon Finesse you would use the Dex modified attack modifier, then.

Unfair? Dunno, the better one wins. :D

Bye
Thanee

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I like this, makes for some good combat roleplay:

"You'll never defeat me boy. You're young, inexperienced..." - Villain

Blades clash with the ring of steel and the villain attempts to disarm you with his blade (roll disarm attempt = Tie), he smiles as he begins his disarm maneuver but it turns into a frown as you whip your blade around the edge of his.

"...and I'm better than you." - Protagonist

:p

P.S - Wouldn't it go BAB compare then (if equal) Str compare for a disarm?

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Liquidsabre said:

The opposed checks rule (skill section) speaks of skill modifier, so that would translate to comparing BAB+Str+Mods (or Dex with Weapon Finesse).

Bye
Thanee

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Liquidsabre said:

In a Disarm, it would go to the person with the highest modifier (Str + BAB + Weapon Focus + Enhancement bonus + Improved Disarm + bonus for Disarm weapon + True Strike + Bless + whatever); if the two modifiers are equal, you both reroll.

-Hyp.

Remove ads