What would you want to see in a 5e CRPG set in FR?

gyor

Legend
I find the use of "exciting region" as a descriptor of parts of FR to be quite hyperbolic. But, to each their own.

Perhaps less used and fresher would have been more neutral to say. The Heartlands, the North, and the Sword Coast is often the focus most of the time, leaving the rest largely die on the vine.

Assuming not a online MMO, then I would want something with access to the adventure engine like NWN. Include a community for sharing, ranking, and maybe even selling the adventures. That would allow them to simple create the game engine and official conversions for the print products while we (the community) could create adventures and campaigns in any setting we want.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Perhaps less used and fresher would have been more neutral to say. The Heartlands, the North, and the Sword Coast is often the focus most of the time, leaving the rest largely die on the vine.

Perhaps. In all fairness, maybe I'm being a little too harsh on FR. Most of the setting just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but there are parts of it that I think are maybe okay (but certainly don't enthuse me).

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I long for the day when CRPG means Console RPG and not Computer RPG, especially if more consoles go the hybrid portable route that the Nintendo Switch does.

This. If the game is good enough, I will go out and buy a new console if I don't own the supported one, but I'm just done with playing games on a laptop. Even though I can connect the lap top to my TV ... I just don't want to bother. When it comes to gaming, I just want to sit back on my couch and just play.

I am here to register myself as the designated voice of dissension to this sentiment.
Mostly because I am getting seriously jaded by the Console-game industry at the moment. And Console Exclusive titles are one of the major reasons for that. Another major reason being you have to download the game and it's patches after you buy the disk, which negates the reason to even have a console in the first place. Why am I buying a closed garden box if I have to download and set the game up anyway? The days of just plugging a cartridge into your Nintendo to play a game are long since dead.
And besides, phones are the real gaming platform of the future. You can even get Baldur's Gate for your phone right now.

As for the OP:
As much as I would love something that wasn't set in FR, I do believe that is a contractual impossibility at this time. So, I will settle for a FR game, so long as it's good. Not even great, just good.

Assuming not a online MMO, then I would want something with access to the adventure engine like NWN. Include a community for sharing, ranking, and maybe even selling the adventures. That would allow them to simple create the game engine and official conversions for the print products while we (the community) could create adventures and campaigns in any setting we want.

There is still the Neverwinter MMO and it gets new content for each hardcover adventure that has been released, even Curse of Strahd. So there will not be another MMO that would only compete with that.

WaterRabbit

Explorer

This. A CRPG that allows for the community to create adventures off the game engine.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I am here to register myself as the designated voice of dissension to this sentiment.
Mostly because I am getting seriously jaded by the Console-game industry at the moment. And Console Exclusive titles are one of the major reasons for that. Another major reason being you have to download the game and it's patches after you buy the disk, which negates the reason to even have a console in the first place. Why am I buying a closed garden box if I have to download and set the game up anyway? The days of just plugging a cartridge into your Nintendo to play a game are long since dead.
And besides, phones are the real gaming platform of the future. You can even get Baldur's Gate for your phone right now.

As for the OP:
As much as I would love something that wasn't set in FR, I do believe that is a contractual impossibility at this time. So, I will settle for a FR game, so long as it's good. Not even great, just good.

I hear you, but I am the kind of customer who is responsible for this state of affairs. I am not a video gamer for the most part. I never owned a console in my life until my 40s. I'll play a AAA CRPG every few years and then go many months to even years without playing video games. When a game comes out that excites me, I'll buy the console for it. For me, the console is the game.

Also, because I don't game that often, I often learn of good games after the exclusivity has worn off and are release on multiple devices. Heck, I played through the two most recent Witcher games on my Fire TV.

That said, I am highly disinclined to buy any game system from Sony. What they did with Foretnight was some next-level BS. I don't play but my son and all his friends do. Game exclusives are one thing, but locking ones account for a non-exclusive game is something else. But...if the next Elderscrolls game is exclusive to the PlayStation, I'll buy the new Playstation.

Horwath

Legend
I like Pillars of Eternety 1&2.

They are somewhat based on 3e some on 4e.

Similar to that, with a little more 5e flavor and set in FR would be great.

Remove ads