Here's The Wizard Spell List From Extra Life

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Based on previous information and the preview, am I correct that the SCAG subclasses (such as Bladesinger) will be in Xanathars but that the four "weapon cantrips" (like Green Flame Blade) are not?

If so that makes the PH+1 rule tricky for characters using those cantrips. And is kind of disappointing for those of us who wanted everything supplemental in one book.

With the lack of those cantrips, I doubt the bladesinger with appear in the book.

Now I am all for expanding the Wizard Spell list and am grateful there are more elemental spells. One thing that bothers me about wizards though are some of the features of the various schools are severely limited due to poor spell choice. For instance, the wizard with the School of Conjuration tradition can conjure forth more powerful creatures with their spells. BUT there are few spells in the Wizard spell list in the School of Conjuration that actually conjure creatures.

Summoning is a subsection of conjuration. In 5e, conjuration means you teleport/create something. Monsters are a subset of something. Admittedly, monsters are what most people (including me) want to teleport/create, but it isn't the school of summoning, so there isn't a requirement that you have the ability (or spells) to summon monsters, just that you have the ability (spells) to summon something.

flametitan

Explorer
Based on previous information and the preview, am I correct that the SCAG subclasses (such as Bladesinger) will be in Xanathars but that the four "weapon cantrips" (like Green Flame Blade) are not?

If so that makes the PH+1 rule tricky for characters using those cantrips. And is kind of disappointing for those of us who wanted everything supplemental in one book.

Only 4 of the SCAG subclasses will be. And none of them will be any of the subclasses with Realms flavour (PDK is confirmed not to be in, and Bladesinger is almost certainly not going to be, as Bladesinging tradition is heavily associated with the Realms)

Mephista

Adventurer
Demon summoning has been a wizard thing for a long time, and in 4e warlocks got devils and wizards got demons (except that someone forgot the succubus was a devil in 4e and gave it to wizards). I would be annoyed if none of the demon/devil things made it to the warlock list though (as happened in the Old Black Magic UA).
So, wizards getting demons and succubi are a sacred cow now? Bleh. I suppose its unavoidable for story reasons - I can't imagine them changing Tasha/Iggwilv class or making her unable to do demons for instance. Still, it will really irk me how warlocks are crap with fiend and fey summons.

I am normally pro-sorcerer primary spells, but I have a hard time with any dragon-related spells after the playtest, because if we wanted the sorcerer to do more dragon stuff that the wizard couldn't, we had our chance, and we squandered in chasing after a dream that somehow they were going to clone 3x magic into 5e, even though there was no evidence in support of it and a lot of evidence against it.
I never saw the early playtest sorcerer. But, as things stand, I basically find the current idea of a dragon sorcerer to be a let down; I want it to be more like the 4e dragon sorcerer who could do illusion claws and wings and breaths. If we get something that's closer to the sorcerer I remember, I'm all for it. Anything is pretty much better than what we have now.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a tiefling fangirl first and foremost. And I'm loving the attention they're getting. But playing a dragon sorcerer can be fun too, but irregardless if I'm a human one or a dragonborn one, I should -feel like a dragon in some way-. Thus the name of the subclass. If we don't even have that, I have zero incentive of playing the class. Its just not fun for me.

We have half a gazillion ways of playing a fey themed character. Fiends are getting love with paladins, clerics, wizards and warlocks, oh my. Dwarves... get a berserker - how about some blacksmith or cleric love? Something that feels dwarvish other than something out of a Drizz't book for those of us who don't like those? There's one dragon themed subclass - where are the dragon knights and the dragon bards?

It feels like the game designers have their favorites and are just ignoring everything else. I will give anything to have some more variety than the same stale old stuff that's been around forever.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
Summoning is a subsection of conjuration. In 5e, conjuration means you teleport/create something. Monsters are a subset of something. Admittedly, monsters are what most people (including me) want to teleport/create, but it isn't the school of summoning, so there isn't a requirement that you have the ability (or spells) to summon monsters, just that you have the ability (spells) to summon something.

What I refer to specifically is the "Durable Summons" feature of the Conjuration wizard. CREATURES you summon gain 30 extra hp. That's nice but there were like only 2-3 spells (if even that many) for the wizard in the PHB that actually summon a creature. Not very practical in my opinion.

gyor

Legend
What I refer to specifically is the "Durable Summons" feature of the Conjuration wizard. CREATURES you summon gain 30 extra hp. That's nice but there were like only 2-3 spells (if even that many) for the wizard in the PHB that actually summon a creature. Not very practical in my opinion.

With XGTE Wizards gets Find Familiar, Unseen Servant (ritual so it's basically at will), Conjure Minor Elemental, Conjure Elemental, Summon Lesser Demon, Summon Greater Demon, Infernal Calling, Gate, and Wish (depending on wish), all of which benefits from durable summons.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Only 4 of the SCAG subclasses will be. And none of them will be any of the subclasses with Realms flavour (PDK is confirmed not to be in, and Bladesinger is almost certainly not going to be, as Bladesinging tradition is heavily associated with the Realms)

The Bladesinger and the Battlerager are setting-neutral (having originated in the 2e products The Complete Book of Elves and The Complete Book of Dwarves (respectively).

gyor

Legend
In the Old Black Magic UA Wizards and Sorcerors got access to the demon summoning which I felt was weird because warlocks seemed demonic thematically and Sorcerors don't get any kind of summoning spells previously until 9th level spells where they get Gate and Wish (the Favoured/Divine Soul being an exception because of the cleric).

flametitan

Explorer
The Bladesinger and the Battlerager are setting-neutral (having originated in the 2e products The Complete Book of Elves and The Complete Book of Dwarves (respectively).

Originally, yes, but they've since become so associated with the Realms that I don't think WotC really considers them setting neutral anymore.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads