Here's The Wizard Spell List From Extra Life

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

I remember when people used to put sentences and everything in their posts. It was a golden era.

Mephista

Adventurer
We know that these things were going to be reprinted for a while now. And its specifically because of the +1 for adventure league. Why is complaining about it now a thing?

I'm much more interested in analyzing the new spells that we see coming up. Getting some chaos and dragon magic is a happy thing for me, though less so on a wizard. Their raison d'etre is sorcerer, and should have been sorcerer only. Here's hoping the spells are designed with metamagic in mind to make them really click. *crosses fingers*. Or that it scales well into 3-5 spell levels.

I'm also kind of wondering if the demon summoning spell will apply to fiends, and if warlock gets it. It would be so strange if not! Same with Infernal calling, another conjuration spell.

What's up with the wizard getting all these spells that are so thematically linked to other classes. *grumble*

dave2008

Legend
I think it is reasonable to assume that they are easting up as much space as possible by reprinting previously published material.

I don't think that is a reasonable assumption. IMO, a reasonable assumption is that some of the space is taken up with reprinted material,

Last edited by a moderator:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't think that is a reasonable assumption. IMO, a reasonable assumption is that some of the space is taken up with reprinted material,
That's not even an assumption, we know full well that some of the space is taken up with reprinted material so it's a fact.

dave2008

Legend
That's not even an assumption, we know full well that some of the space is taken up with reprinted material so it's a fact.

Correction. It is reasonable to assume some additional space, beyond what we have seen, in the upcoming XGtE will be devoted to content that has already been published.

Wepwawet

Explorer
I like what I've been seeing so far, but do agree with the sentiment about reprinting content already printed elsewhere. ToA monster section is half full of critters from Volo's Guide. There are any number of other jungle-themed creatures that they could have used instead (Tasloi, other types of dino, etc).

Personally I'm glad, as I don't have Volo's Guide nor do I plan on getting it... But I do plan on buying ToA.

Although I use the spells from EEPG in my game, I prefer to have that content in hardcover form, in a new book with other player's options. I like having my content in the books, but of course, don't want to have to carry loads of them.

Based on previous information and the preview, am I correct that the SCAG subclasses (such as Bladesinger) will be in Xanathars but that the four "weapon cantrips" (like Green Flame Blade) are not?

If so that makes the PH+1 rule tricky for characters using those cantrips. And is kind of disappointing for those of us who wanted everything supplemental in one book.

We know that these things were going to be reprinted for a while now. And its specifically because of the +1 for adventure league. Why is complaining about it now a thing?

I'm much more interested in analyzing the new spells that we see coming up. Getting some chaos and dragon magic is a happy thing for me, though less so on a wizard. Their raison d'etre is sorcerer, and should have been sorcerer only. Here's hoping the spells are designed with metamagic in mind to make them really click. *crosses fingers*. Or that it scales well into 3-5 spell levels.

I'm also kind of wondering if the demon summoning spell will apply to fiends, and if warlock gets it. It would be so strange if not! Same with Infernal calling, another conjuration spell.

What's up with the wizard getting all these spells that are so thematically linked to other classes. *grumble*

It is a good question which of these spells will end up on other spell lists. I am assuming anything that doesn't have someone's name it will show up in multiple places.

Demon summoning has been a wizard thing for a long time, and in 4e warlocks got devils and wizards got demons (except that someone forgot the succubus was a devil in 4e and gave it to wizards). I would be annoyed if none of the demon/devil things made it to the warlock list though (as happened in the Old Black Magic UA).

I am normally pro-sorcerer primary spells, but I have a hard time with any dragon-related spells after the playtest, because if we wanted the sorcerer to do more dragon stuff that the wizard couldn't, we had our chance, and we squandered in chasing after a dream that somehow they were going to clone 3x magic into 5e, even though there was no evidence in support of it and a lot of evidence against it.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
Now I am all for expanding the Wizard Spell list and am grateful there are more elemental spells. One thing that bothers me about wizards though are some of the features of the various schools are severely limited due to poor spell choice. For instance, the wizard with the School of Conjuration tradition can conjure forth more powerful creatures with their spells. BUT there are few spells in the Wizard spell list in the School of Conjuration that actually conjure creatures.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads