[GM Tool] Monster Generator - Free Program to Create New Monsters

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Do you ever plan on including the special abilities from http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules ?

I found this a really great idea, but it's very inflexible. We can't customize special abilities in the program itself (either changing the qualifiers for existing abilities or adding new abilities), there's no system for adding racial skill bonuses, the program requires you to select the CR first rather than allowing you to build the monster and have the program auto-calculate the CR from the statistics, and we can't look at the monster's statistics in detail (e.g. with the skill and DC formulas spelled out) to watch them change while we're editing it.

Essentially, I'd like to have a program with the functionality teased in this blog post: http://monsteradvancer.wordpress.co...a-entry-systems-feat-builder-monster-builder/ and http://awizardindallas.blogspot.com/2010/03/pathfinder-monster-database.html Unfortunately, it seems that particular program isn't going to be released any time soon, but I'd like to have something like that without having to spend exorbitant fees on big name programs or figure out how to code in an obscure programming language. I've tried numerous programs like DM Genie and PCGen and none of them are free, simple or easy to use.

Last edited:

Mordikenn

First Post
Hello everyone~ Just wanted to let a new crowd of people see the program. It's still a great free way to save time making enemies! I clicked random a few times and then fiddled with what it gave me to make the monster below.
@Raneth: I have no plans to overhaul this program to perform CR calculations backwards. Unfortunately I've moved on to other projects with the majority of time, including making a few games. However, you can add racial bonuses to skills to monsters under the 'special qualities' menu already ( just click on the bonus to skills options, any of those display as a racial bonus). The majority of those monster rules are already in the program under the powers menu, and you can specify your own custom powers to add to the program. There are details regarding how to do that in the readme, you just go and add things to 'custom_powers.txt' in the data files.

If you were thinking about learning to program in order to make that program yourself, be my guest... Just bear in mind that making this took me months, and I had some background in coding.
@koesherbacon: I should probably consider it, since making money off stuff is nice. It'd probably require me to redesign the interface in order to fit it on a small screen but that's not so terrible. Porting it to a phone might be good practice as well.

White Pixsunsaut CR 2
XP 600
N Small Humanoid
Init +3; Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception +0
------------------------------
DEFENSE
AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 11 (+1 size, +3 Dex)
hp 14 (3d8+0)
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
Defensive Abilities Uncanny Dodge
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee unarmed +3 (1d2-1)
Ranged longbow (ranged) +7 (1d6-1/x3 plus poison)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3; concentration +5)
The save DC against a White Pixsunsaut's spells is 12+ spell level. A White Pixsunsaut's spells use Charisma as the primary casting attribute.
At Will: Ghost Sound
3/day: True Strike
Special Attacks Poison (Ex) (longbow-injury save DC 11, frequency 1/round for 6 rounds, effect 1d3 Dex damage, cure 2 consecutive saves)
STATISTICS
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +2; CMB +0; CMD 13
Feats Stealthy, Weapon Focus (longbow)
Skills: Profession (choose one) +6, Stealth +8
Languages Common
SQ Humanoid Traits
ECOLOGY
Environment: Temperate Swamps
Organization: Solitary or Pair(2)
Treasure: Standard plus Masterwork Heavy Crossbow

The White Pixsunsaut has dull white skin with thin hairs all over their skin. A White Pixsunsaut will frequently stalk travelers and try to steal from them, making them a terrible nuisance.

Mordikenn

First Post
So one of the main reasons I developed Monster Generator was for my own use back when I was a DM. I needed to make a boatload of monsters for a Castlevania-themed campaign at varying CRs that they weren't in the books.

For example, it made sense to have a mimic in the later parts of the dungeon but the one in the SRD is pitifully weak for level 15 characters. Enter the Castlevania Mimic:

Castlevania Mimic CR 15
XP 51200
*A Medium Aberration
Init +8; Senses Darkvision 60ft; Perception +29
DEFENSE
AC 31, touch 15, flat-footed 26 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +16 natural)
hp 225 (18d8+144)
Fort +15, Ref +10, Will +18
DR 10/- Immunities Sleep, Acid Resist Cold 10, Electricity 10, Fire 10
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft.
Melee 6 slams +24 (1d6+10 plus Paralysis) , 4 tentacles +21 (1d6+10)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 18; concentration +23)
The save DC against a Castlevania Mimic's spells is 15+ spell level. A Castlevania Mimic's spells use Wisdom as the primary casting attribute.
At Will: Alter Self
3/day: Detect Life
1/day: Beast Shape IV
Special Attacks Grab (slam), Constrict (1d6+10), Paralysis (2d6 rounds, DC 21), Adhesive (DC 29)
STATISTICS
Str 30, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 14
Base Atk +13; CMB +23 (+27 grapple); CMD 37
Feats Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness, Weapon Focus (slam)
Skills: Bluff +23, Disguise +20, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (religion) +20, Perception +26, Stealth +25
Languages Common
SQ Aberration Traits, Amorphous Anatomy
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Adhesive (Ex)
A mimic exudes a thick slime that acts as a powerful adhesive, holding fast any creatures or items that touch it. An adhesive-covered mimic automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack. Opponents so grappled cannot get free while the mimic is alive without removing the adhesive first. A weapon that strikes an adhesive-coated mimic is stuck fast unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 29 Reflex save. A successful DC 29 Strength check is needed to pry off a stuck weapon. Strong alcohol or universal solvent dissolves the adhesive, but the mimic can still grapple normally. A mimic can dissolve its adhesive at will, and the substance breaks down 5 rounds after the creature dies. The save DC is Strength-based.

Grab (Ex)
If a Castlevania Mimic hits with its slam attack(s), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Grab can only be used against targets of a size Medium or smaller.
The Castlevania Mimic has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply to use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself.
A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).
Creatures with grab receive a +4 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to start and maintain a grapple.

Constrict (Ex)
Castlevania Mimic can crush an opponent, dealing 1d6+10 bludgeoning damage, when it makes a successful grapple check (in addition to any other effects caused by a successful check, including additional damage).

Paralyze (Su)
When a Castlevania Mimic hits a target with its slam attack(s), the victim is rendered immobile for 2d6 rounds. The target is allowed a DC 21 fortitude save to negate the paralysis effect. Paralyzed creatures cannot move, speak, or take any physical actions. The creature is rooted to the spot, frozen and helpless. The save DC is charisma-based.

Change Shape (Su)
A Castlevania Mimic has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. The creature cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as up to a level 6 polymorph spell (the type of which matches the form it can change into), but the creature does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics). Unless otherwise stated, it can remain in an alternate form indefinitely.

Amorphous Anatomy (Ex)
A Castlevania Mimic's vital organs shift and change shape and position constantly. This grants it a 50% chance to ignore additional damage caused by critical hits and sneak attacks, and grants it immunity to polymorph effects (unless the Castlevania Mimic is a willing target). A Castlevania Mimic automatically recovers from physical blindness or deafness after 1 round by growing new sensory organs to replace those that were compromised.

crinosg

First Post
Hey, I got a question about this. Whenever I create a construct, it wont allow me to give the construct an Int score. Is there any way around this?

Nookie

Explorer
Hey, I got a question about this. Whenever I create a construct, it wont allow me to give the construct an Int score. Is there any way around this?

I second this feature.

also some dropdown menues with the universal monster rules would be spiffy as well :D

Remove ads