D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I've been unable to find such rules, bit I'll look better in the following days.

This may well be the make-or-break for me. I've been waffling throughout the thread on whether I still want to buy the DMG or not, but if there's not something so basic as 'how to start a character above level 1', then I'm not sure I need the book.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Flanking grants advantage. No mention of OA. If you use facing, a character can only attack frontally and grants advantage to attacks from the rear.

Since you can run circles around creatures and not provoke, getting flanking is far easier than previous editions and advantage is far more valuable. It also reduces the value of a number of abilities by quite a bit such as shield bash, distracting attack, and wolf spirit rage. In the case of wolf spirit since it's part of a feat chain the value of the entire feat chain drops.

This option is so bad it is literally worse than not having the option because some people will use it. Advantage mechanic strikes again!

Eejit

First Post
As if bounded accuracy wasn't staked, beheaded and buried already, they also had to light it on fire and toss it in a sphere of annihilation. 28 AC won't be hard then, which is reasonable against a CR 24 dragon with +17 to hit, but the CR 17 death knight's +11 is nearly worthless and anything lower is pointless in a fight unless it has a non-weapon attack.

Luckily any DM with half a brain won't be handing out broken item combinations. Any that are so careless deserve whatever scrambling they have to do to adjust.

Boarstorm

First Post
This may well be the make-or-break for me. I've been waffling throughout the thread on whether I still want to buy the DMG or not, but if there's not something so basic as 'how to start a character above level 1', then I'm not sure I need the book.

What do you need to know? With the assumption of magic items being removed from the math, you can start them off with as much (or as little) gold as you want. Heck, you could even still just make them roll on the initial wealth chart. The only thing I can see to watch out for is monster immunities -- but that's on your end, not the player's end. And even if they don't have magic weapons, higher level characters have ways of bypassing that with proper spell selection and such.

Li Shenron

Legend
My questions:

1) How do the chase rules look like? (no details needed, just the general idea...)

2) Any sign of rules for running a small group/mob/swarm of monsters as one?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As if bounded accuracy wasn't staked, beheaded and buried already, they also had to light it on fire and toss it in a sphere of annihilation. 28 AC won't be hard then, which is reasonable against a CR 24 dragon with +17 to hit, but the CR 17 death knight's +11 is nearly worthless and anything lower is pointless in a fight unless it has a non-weapon attack.

I find the idea that you consider acquiring a legendary shield and a legendary set of armor as "not being hard" rather amusing. ;)

Remove ads