D&D 5E I have the DMG!

trentonjoe

Explorer
You can use the lingering wound table when the target is critted, when reduced to 0 HP, or when failing a death save by 5 or more.

There are a few pages on traps, with several examples and tables that suggest save DC and damage.

I'd like to see some examples of the lingering wound table.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
What do you need to know? With the assumption of magic items being removed from the math, you can start them off with as much (or as little) gold as you want. Heck, you could even still just make them roll on the initial wealth chart. The only thing I can see to watch out for is monster immunities -- but that's on your end, not the player's end. And even if they don't have magic weapons, higher level characters have ways of bypassing that with proper spell selection and such.

I want to know as a player. My concerns are that a) bounded accuracy at higher levels won't work out quite as 'bounded' in play as it seems on paper (use PHB starting table for wealth & have a heavy armor wearer ready to fight that creature with a +11 mentioned upthread? um... eep!), & b) dealing with monster abilities/resistances while 'undergeared'.

I've already seen a near-TPK in 3.5 from a DM that didn't follow wealth-by-level guidelines (oh, we're level 5, have 1 magic weapon for the entire party - TOTAL, not each - & now you're throwing an incorporeal creature at us? ok, my character runs). Would be nice to have something to at least say 'there's a reason _this_ rule exists' the next time it happens.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Luckily any DM with half a brain won't be handing out broken item combinations. Any that are so careless deserve whatever scrambling they have to do to adjust.

A magic shield is a broken item combination. Magic armor is already common in the game, we were stuck with it. Adding a magic shield to it is a busted combination, it shouldn't have existed.

On top of that you are now changing the tradeoff from SAB to THF being 2 AC to being 5AC which should be setting off bounded accuracy alarm bells by itself.

I want to know as a player. My concerns are that a) bounded accuracy at higher levels won't work out quite as 'bounded' in play as it seems on paper (use PHB starting table for wealth & have a heavy armor wearer ready to fight that creature with a +11 mentioned upthread? um... eep!), & b) dealing with monster abilities/resistances while 'undergeared'.

I've already seen a near-TPK in 3.5 from a DM that didn't follow wealth-by-level guidelines (oh, we're level 5, have 1 magic weapon for the entire party - TOTAL, not each - & now you're throwing an incorporeal creature at us? ok, my character runs). Would be nice to have something to at least say 'there's a reason _this_ rule exists' the next time it happens.

What does it matter if such rules are in the DMG or not? Assuming these rules exist at all they are kind of optional for DMs. A player trying to rules lawyer from the DMG at my table just gets laughed at.

Chocolategravy

First Post
I find the idea that you consider acquiring a legendary shield and a legendary set of armor as "not being hard" rather amusing. ;)

You'd be a lot less amused if you were aware that "legendary" for magic items means about as much as "legendary" for monsters and you can see them at very low level. Much like the legendary greatsword and mask in Horde of the Dragon Queen.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What does it matter if such rules are in the DMG or not? Assuming these rules exist at all they are kind of optional for DMs. A player trying to rules lawyer from the DMG at my table just gets laughed at.

Pretty much. IMO, you don't need rules or guidelines as to a "wealth by level" table because that should be a pretty intuitive decision based on the style of play you have. 5e really doesn't have that many total immunity from damage X monsters (most are resistance instead), and it doesn't suffer from the numbers bloat of 3e. So I really don't see the need of a table like that myself. just go with what makes sense for the campaign you want.

CapnZapp

Legend

As I have understood it, you are expected to get by with no items, regardless of level.

If this is true, it fully explains why no wealth-by-level guidelines are necessary.

Just hand out a starting equipment package or 100 gp worth of gear and you're supposed to be good to go.

CapnZapp

PS. And oh; d20 and 3.5E is a completely different ballgame. Your experiences there simply aren't relevant in 5E. The game sure looks much the same, but it isn't supposed to play out anything like 3E...

(This doesn't mean it's a good idea to enter the BBEG cave with just a broken pitchfork; just that the game won't tell you this - you'll have to come to that conclusion yourself...)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The latest preview details the main worlds of D&D by genre. So, Mystara is heroic fantasy while Oerth is sword and sorcery. Do they go into these categories earlier in the setting up a campaign section?

Remove ads