Find Steed's Hit Points

Quick Question: How do you rule a Summoned Steed's Hit points.

The spell specifically says that the Steed is a 'unusually intelligent, strong' but then goes on to say that it has the 'statistics of its chosen form'. So, the only variable that would make it Stronger, other than its boosted INT, is hit points. Do you give it Max hit points? That would make it 'above average'.

The spell goes on to say that it can be re-summoned and 'restored to its maximum hit points'.

Does that imply that it gets max hp, or would I roll the first time I summon it and then use that total every time? (it's the same spirit every time you summon it, unless you dismiss it permanently)

But, if I roll for hit points when I first cast it and roll 3 1s+3 for my Warhorse, since it's 'the same steed', its maximum hit points is always 6.

I see this weird thing happening where you summon your horse and sadistically poke it with a sword until it dies and, if it dies too easily, you release the spirit and summon a new one. Thematically, that works for an Oath of Conquest, not so much for Oath of the Ancients...

Thanks in advance.

Shiroiken

Legend
Unless the DM decides otherwise, the creature does not roll for HP, but has the average listed for the monster. Very likely, if the DM has the creature roll HP, they will keep that roll for every incarnation of the spell (at least, I would).

The description is a bit odd, since it doesn't quite match with the statistics, but it's probably a carryover from prior edition descriptions.

Right, average hp. I meant to mention that in the OP. It makes lots of sense and is probably the easiest way to do it but, to me, using average HPs means the Steed is...well...average. Which, as you say, doesn't match the description in the spell.

I guess I am curious if anyone uses max HPs or if its a legitimate interpretation of the spell.

Oofta

Legend
As [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] said, the text is just a holdover from previous editions where the steed was an enhanced version.

In my home campaign I give them a little extra oomph, but that's a house rule.

Remove ads