The edition wars have hit a new low

Status
Not open for further replies.

I take any burning of books personally, unless it's done for reasons of survival. (I.e. not freezing to death.) Nothing to do with edition wars or D&D at all. There has never, in the history of literacy, been any good reason for doing so, and it's not something decent people do casually.

And I very deliberately use "good" because I'm speaking in a moral sense.

(Putting pics online of what one is doing, BTW, is the very definition of inviting commentary. So no, I don't think it's "sad" for anyone to comment or object, for any reason.)

Shemeska

Adventurer
I saw this weeks earlier, but my opinion of this hasn't changed:

It's insipidly dumb.

And for the person behind it, however much they didn't like 4e, and however much they seem to like 5e based on the end of their escapade, that's probably just going to reflect poorly on their game of choice.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I take any burning of books personally, unless it's done for reasons of survival. (I.e. not freezing to death.) Nothing to do with edition wars or D&D at all. There has never, in the history of literacy, been any good reason for doing so, and it's not something decent people do casually.

And I very deliberately use "good" because I'm speaking in a moral sense.

(Putting pics online of what one is doing, BTW, is the very definition of inviting commentary. So no, I don't think it's "sad" for anyone to comment or object, for any reason.)

I'm with mouse, any burning of books is despicable. I DO enjoy 4e, I love all D&D, but burning books is one of the worst things in my opinion, in this respect I could not care less about edition wars. It's just wrong. I'm sure he did it because "edgy shock factor!".

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
If you merely find it tacky and ridiculous, then my post was not directed at you--obviously.

What about tacky, wasteful (a couple of the books in that collection were in legitimate demand) and a little mean-spirited? I can't tell whether it was meant satirically or seriously, to be honest, and the latter suggests an unhealthy investment in hatred for a game.

But let the anti-4E crowd burn themselves out (pun not intended); hopefully by this time next year, people will have picked out their game of choice and settled on a "live and let live" approach, instead of contending for the 'soul of D&D' like we have for the past three years.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I'm with mouse, any burning of books is despicable. I DO enjoy 4e, I love all D&D, but burning books is one of the worst things in my opinion, in this respect I could not care less about edition wars. It's just wrong. I'm sure he did it because "edgy shock factor!".

Yes, book burning of any kind is just wrong. Some books aren't worth the paper they are print on, but even in those cases, the paper can still be recycled. Burning a book for anything other than survival is just pointlessly polluting the environment and well, it is a book, if you don't want it, sell it, give it away, donate it to a library. And if it is a 4e book, well give it to me, these guys have become ridiculously hard to find in my country.

I refuse to give them clicks for this nonsense.

I suppose it's possible that WotC is happy to sell you books for you to burn if you really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads