5e Immortal Rules

]
Well I linked to what I have in the OP. Just a rough start really. I was hoping to get some more input on what other people are interested in before I dive into it again. However, I do have many more ideas than what I have currently posted, so maybe I should just make what appeals to me and then see what people link.
Sorry, I missed that. I like your approach in your epic characters thread, but I can see that it's basically 'more powerful' and less 'becoming gods'. I thought you were referring to something different, a new take.

I will give it some thought.

I picked that up over a year ago (on your recommendation), but I haven't gone through it in detail yet. It appears to be a pretty faithful conversion of the BECMI Guides to Immortals that I reference in the OP. I don't know if I want to go that far, but I will definitely be mining it for ideas. Thank you again for the suggestion.
Your memory is better than mine :)

CapnZapp

Legend
While "10 more levels" is the easiest, it is also perhaps the least interesting and also shaky mechanically.

Easiest = just allow a lvl 20 character to multiclass to reach 30 levels or more. Done.

Interesting = this doesn't allow Epic characters to do anything ordinary people can't do.

Mechanics = just adding on top of max level values has never worked in any version of D&D.

Oofta

Legend
As others have stated, I think you need to start with a vision and archetypes of what the end result is. One of the the failings of 4E epic level characters was that epic levels just became a power boost, but didn't really change the feel of the characters, although that was partly a structural issue as well.

So if I have a fighter, he's really good at what he does at 20th level. Perhaps the goal should be Thor or Superman. Recognizable still as a fighter/bruiser type character but with abilities unique to that character. While you might have to constrain their powers to a structure similar to spells, I would avoid just giving them spells. Thor is not just a fighter that can cast the lightning bolt spell, his abilities are far more powerful. A barbarian may pick up abilities similar to The Hulk, etc.

You could also base things off of more legendary heroic figures, but a 20th level fighter is already getting close to Beowulf's level of power, not to mention people may scratch their heads and go "Bayo-who?"

So start with the vision, then build some rules around that. Superheroes (especially the overpowered ones) are effectively the demi-gods of myth so that's where I would start. Post some ideas of what you think a 30th level warrior, cleric or wizard should be able to do and get feedback on feel. Then work backwards.

dave2008

Legend
Sorry, I missed that. I like your approach in your epic characters thread, but I can see that it's basically 'more powerful' and less 'becoming gods'. I thought you were referring to something different, a new take.

Maybe, that is why I am tacking a step back now, reviewing what I have and asking for peoples thoughts before I jump back in.

I will give it some thought.
Thank you!

dave2008

Legend
While "10 more levels" is the easiest, it is also perhaps the least interesting and also shaky mechanically.

Easiest = just allow a lvl 20 character to multiclass to reach 30 levels or more. Done.

Interesting = this doesn't allow Epic characters to do anything ordinary people can't do.

Mechanics = just adding on top of max level values has never worked in any version of D&D.

I agree with all your thoughts. That is why I am pretty set on some version of option #1 or option #2, probably option #2 with a dose of #1, I am just not sure how far I lean to option #1.

I'm putting together a rough outline / ToC that I hope can be a good starting point. Hopefully I can post that this weekend to get peoples thoughts.

dave2008

Legend
As others have stated, I think you need to start with a vision and archetypes of what the end result is. One of the the failings of 4E epic level characters was that epic levels just became a power boost, but didn't really change the feel of the characters, although that was partly a structural issue as well.

So if I have a fighter, he's really good at what he does at 20th level. Perhaps the goal should be Thor or Superman. Recognizable still as a fighter/bruiser type character but with abilities unique to that character. While you might have to constrain their powers to a structure similar to spells, I would avoid just giving them spells. Thor is not just a fighter that can cast the lightning bolt spell, his abilities are far more powerful. A barbarian may pick up abilities similar to The Hulk, etc.

You could also base things off of more legendary heroic figures, but a 20th level fighter is already getting close to Beowulf's level of power, not to mention people may scratch their heads and go "Bayo-who?"

So start with the vision, then build some rules around that. Superheroes (especially the overpowered ones) are effectively the demi-gods of myth so that's where I would start. Post some ideas of what you think a 30th level warrior, cleric or wizard should be able to do and get feedback on feel. Then work backwards.

Thank you for the feedback. To clarify I am not really interested in 30th level mortal characters (see the link in the OP for my initial thoughts). I want to create something new and different, but still recognizable as 5e. The plan is that after level 20, characters become true demigods and then progress through the ranks of the gods.

I will definitely take your thoughts into account when I get down to the work of actually making something!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
By "keep as much as possible", do you mean OD&D Immortals or 5E progression?

By keep as much as possible I meant: keep as much 5e as possible, but not necessarily the progression. I want to still be reminiscent to 5e, but with a more epic feel.

And why Immortals? (Not trying to tank those rules. Trying to get you to put your reasons in print)

As I was starting to work on this project again last night the Immortals rules was the first of my epic character resources I looked at :p

I also don't want to make epic mortal characters (I feel we already have that), I want to allow people to play demigods and gods. The Immortals rules do that, but there are a lot of differences from the OD&D rules / game play. I am not sure I want to go that far.

dave2008

Legend
@dave2008, have you read through "The Primal Order" for ideas?

A long time ago, I thought I had it in PDF but I can't find it. I will keep looking because I remember it had some interesting ideas. I almost bought a copy on ebay a year or so ago but I backed out at the last minute.

EDIT: I just found it. I will give a look through tonight.

Last edited:

Remove ads