5e Immortal Rules

Yaarel

He Mage
In 4e, it is Elementals versus Astrals. Etcetera. There are many kinds of immortals competing at multiversal magnitudes.

Last edited:

Hey dave2008 amigo!

PS: UK is updating / remaking his Immortals Handbook for 5e. It is coming out this year.

Should be ready in a few short months.

From discussions with him I know he plans to get the numbers small (I think he is capping ability scores at 30),

I found a better solution where ability scores can go over 30, but the rate of increase slows dramatically after 30.

but still provide epic power (like spells that recreate the big bang epic). Not sure how is going to do it (or if he is still holding the line on number increases), but it should be interesting

I have 30 divine ranks on a scale where #6 represents Greater Gods like Zeus and Odin. Suffice to say with these rules you can roleplay ANY level of power, any anime, any comics, any fiction. At a certain divine rank you can punch planets into smithereens, chop galaxies in half, eat universes, make armour out of multiverses. The bulk of the rules (such as immortal purviews, which operate like classes) concentrate on the classic lower ranks most D&D players will be familiar with, but plenty of scope to go crazy.

Hey there Yaarel.

In 4e, it is Elementals versus Astrals. Etcetera. There are many kinds of immortals competing at multiversal magnitudes.

I outline 10 dimensions of consciousness. Astral (gods) vs Elemental (anti-gods/primordials) is only the third level of consciousness.

Each level of consciousness has (at least) two diametrically opposed realms competing against each other but also each realm also has multiple factions in the same way the Elemental Chaos has demons, genies and primordials who don't all necessarily see eye to eye with each other.

dave2008

Legend
I feel the Boons can do this.
generally speaking I don't. However,...
I agree about the cosmic chess/risk perspective. Meanwhile the "big numbers" are for the avatar. The portfolio game happens at a more cosmic transcendent level.

The higher Epic tiers (determined by Proficiency bonus) can grant Immortals increasingly broader powers − more pervasive influence across the multiverse.

Actually, its not so different from building a Bastion or old school fortress or wizard tower. Except the magnitude is far greater.
If you add in some of what you are discussing here, then possibly.

For me personally, while I really like the boon format, I don't think it offers enough, as currently manifest, to represent he abilities of deity.

Remember the CR 30 Mythic Tiamat is just an aspect of her true power in 5e. I am interested in looking a deities true power.

Yaarel

He Mage
generally speaking I don't. However,...

If you add in some of what you are discussing here, then possibly.

For me personally, while I really like the boon format, I don't think it offers enough, as currently manifest, to represent he abilities of deity.

Remember the CR 30 Mythic Tiamat is just an aspect of her true power in 5e. I am interested in looking a deities true power.
I would let the tier 21-24 be the Epic superhero, while players get used to their character having a personal domain and manifesting via an avatar. I would call this tier, the Archons to refer to Arch-wizard, Arch-druid, Arch-fey, Arch-angle, Arch-devil, etcetera. Demigod as a kind of Archcelestial is also among these Archons.

At the tier 25-28, I would start with the "portfolio". Maybe call this tier the Icons, in the sense, the characters are representing some cosmic force. At this point, the character starts gaining "adherents" who devote themselves to the principles of the domain. These adherents might be worshipers, or philosophical advocates, or animistic venerators, or descendants of an ancestor, students of teacher of enlightenment, or even the admirers of a celebrity, depending on what kind of immortality the player chooses. This tier roughly corresponds to the 3e Lesser Deity.

At the tier 29-32, the domains become vastly influencial. Maybe call this tier the Personas, in the sense, the characters are personifications of the cosmic force itself, the adherents have been increasing by an order of magnitude every two levels. This tier corresponds to the 3e Greater Deity.

The portfolio game, is where the cosmic chess is happening.

Something like that.

Note, the characters dont grant spells. Clerics are connecting with Astral Plane itself, and figuring out the Cleric spells for themselves. So there is never a situation when the character is supposed to grant a spell that character oneself doesnt know.

But the character should be able to benefit an adherent, in a way that is thematic for the portfolio.

dave2008

Legend
I would let the tier 21-24 be the Epic superhero, while players get used to their character having a personal domain and manifesting via an avatar. I would call this tier, the Archons to refer to Arch-wizard, Arch-druid, Arch-fey, Arch-angle, Arch-devil, etcetera. Demigod as a kind of Archcelestial is also among these Archons.

At the tier 25-28, I would start with the "portfolio". Maybe call this tier the Icons, in the sense, the characters are representing some cosmic force. At this point, the character starts gaining "adherents" who devote themselves to the principles of the domain. These adherents might be worshipers, or philosophical advocates, or animistic venerators, or descendants of an ancestor, students of teacher of enlightenment, or even the admirers of a celebrity, depending on what kind of immortality the player chooses. This tier roughly corresponds to the 3e Lesser Deity.

At the tier 29-32, the domains become vastly influencial. Maybe call this tier the Personas, in the sense, the characters are personifications of the cosmic force itself, the adherents have been increasing by an order of magnitude every two levels. This tier corresponds to the 3e Greater Deity.

The portfolio game, is where the cosmic chess is happening.

Something like that.

Note, the characters dont grant spells. Clerics are connecting with Astral Plane itself, and figuring out the Cleric spells for themselves. So there is never a situation when the character is supposed to grant a spell that character oneself doesnt know.

But the character should be able to benefit an adherent, in a way that is thematic for the portfolio.
That is a fine idea, just not what I am interested in seeing

Remove ads