D&D 5E High level play

S'mon

Legend
I can totally see your point. But at the same time the boons are quite boring. It may be the lesser of two evils but it does not add much to differentiate high level characters. I realize this is probably not a big deal since few people play past 20th but I think the lack of cool creatures, plot lines and the relative uninspired natures of the boons is part of the reason.

An Epic Bestiary of CR 21-30 creatures for play with Epic Boons at 20th level would be
awesome - hear that [MENTION=326]Upper_Krust[/MENTION]? :D

It definitely wouldn't hurt to have more Epic Boons, but these could go in a couple pages at the
front of the book. One thing I like about Boons is that they're proferred by the GM, not chosen by
the players. If you want 3e style charbuild/charop then you probably won't like them much, but for a continued reason for adventure they look great.

Last edited:

werecorpse

Adventurer
We are using the DMG epic boon system in our game and its working nicely. Most of the boons are custom created though, using the DMG ones as guidance. Our characters are currently 23rd and 26th (two campaigns) level

Can you give details of the boons that work well ? created by you or in the DMG

Prism

Explorer
Can you give details of the boons that work well ? created by you or in the DMG

The 23rd level characters are fairly recent conversions of our 4e characters that had just picked their epic destinies so we have made some attempt to recreate at least the same feeling. For example my character had just found their own demiplane and began to attune with it. My current epic boons are

+2 INT and advantage on planar knowledge checks relating to understanding planar traits
Drawmij's summons once per short rest without spell components. Can only retrieve something previously placed on the demiplane
Boon of planar travel from the DMG

Another PC is gradually becoming a devil and so his boons are beginning to provide some of the devil immunities like spell resistance and immunity to fire

I have also done a conversion of a 1e version of Kelanen Prince of Swords which I am using as a pregen in a future 26th level adventure

An Epic Bestiary of CR 21-30 creatures for play with Epic Boons at 20th level would be
awesome - hear that [MENTION=326]Upper_Krust[/MENTION]? :D

No intention of buying 5th Edition at this juncture (I simply don't like what I have read) - so I don't see that happening in the short term. I might change my mind on that come August though. ;)

Good luck to 2CGaming with their Epic Legacy book. One possible problem with a mere 10-level jump is that a lot of the changes may well be epic according to the prefix; but exactly how EPIC will they be? Is it simply an extension of the existing rules or does it add something fundamentally new? Can you steal the smile from a Princess? How about levitate a castle? Magically 'nuke' a city? Sink a continent? Stop the world turning? Devour the Sun? Maybe the book lets you do all that and more who knows...?

I considered a Kickstarter backed book myself last year (although I was pencilling in a far lower pledge goal than the $35,000 they have put down - wow).

dave2008

Legend
There does not seem to be much for playing past 20th. I saw this kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-edition-game-beyond-20th-level/description

it seems to have some cool stuff like spells, feats and monsters for 20 plus with progression past 20th level too. Anyone familiar with this company?

There are several options:

1) The DMG Epic Boons

2) Expanded epic boons like I'm working in another thread on this forum (very much a WIP): http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469018-5e-Epic-Character-Updates

3). The DMs Guild has a few options for increase character levels to 30.

DnD 5e Epic Characters: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173574/DnD-5e-Epic-Options?term=epic

Epic Characters: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/173822/Epic-Characters?term=epic

Both of these provide level progression of every class up to lvl 30.

dave2008

Legend
No intention of buying 5th Edition at this juncture (I simply don't like what I have read) - so I don't see that happening in the short term. I might change my mind on that come August though. ;)

Good luck to 2CGaming with their Epic Legacy book. One possible problem with a mere 10-level jump is that a lot of the changes may well be epic according to the prefix; but exactly how EPIC will they be? Is it simply an extension of the existing rules or does it add something fundamentally new? Can you steal the smile from a Princess? How about levitate a castle? Magically 'nuke' a city? Sink a continent? Stop the world turning? Devour the Sun? Maybe the book lets you do all that and more who knows...?

I considered a Kickstarter backed book myself last year (although I was pencilling in a far lower pledge goal than the $35,000 they have put down - wow).

The are making a totally different game really (or so it seems from their preview). The monsters rank from Epic 1 to Epic 6 I believe, and have phases (multiple stat blocks similar to your 4e uber monsters).

dave2008

Legend
We are using the DMG epic boon system in our game and its working nicely. Most of the boons are custom created though, using the DMG ones as guidance. Our characters are currently 23rd and 26th (two campaigns) level

I'm confused. If your using the epic boons how are your characters level 23 and 26? The boon system replaces the leveling system.

Prism

Explorer
I'm confused. If your using the epic boons how are your characters level 23 and 26? The boon system replaces the leveling system.

Yeah I could have made that clearer. The classes are 20th level. We are just using higher character levels to represent number of boons, so a '23rd' level character has 3 boons. Most of these are conversions of older characters where they were that level. One campaign from 3rd/4th and the other from AD&D

One thing that would be valuable is a tool for determining a party's capability to take on high CR creatures. I mean, how many boons do you need to take on a CR31 creature? Stuff like that.

Remove ads